Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dune Buggy Questions

Old 05-16-2003, 07:07 PM
bustedonce
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dune Buggy Questions

I have a '91 f150 XLT Lariat Xcab. Its my baby. Its my reliable, keep it in great condition, keep it clean, truck. When I first got it, I had plans of throwing it into the air and converting it to 4x4. But now, I realize that my truck is great the way that it is. This doens't mean that I'm not going to modify it.

So I thought that I would get a dune buggy to go offroading with. It would be cheap, if it broke down, it wouldn't keep me from getting to school and work, the insurance is cheaper than getting an old 4x4, and it would be fairly easy to tinker with. Heres the thing though: I haven't seen any Ford-powered-dune buggies. I was wondering why. I mean, Ford does make 4bangers. So why is the craze all about VW?

So here are a couple of my ideas so far:
-buy a dune buggy equipped w/VW and leave it alone
-buy a dune buggy w/VW and trade it for a Ford 4banger
-buy just a frame and eqip w/Ford 4banger
-buy just frame and equip w/Honda 4banger
(this ones kinda a friends idea, he's into compact cars)

So if anyone could give me some advice, I'd apreciate it.

Old 05-18-2003, 12:41 AM
superswamper
Elder User
Dune Buggy Questions

here anoterh thought for you....

MID ENGINE!

around here there are accouple small block fords buggy's... they're mid engine......imagine more or less a mustang with a tube frame. small blocks are a dime a dozen at a junk yard, cheap to rebuild, c-6's bolt up and and ford 9" rear end....heck you could even do a 351 and do all the fun drag racing tricks to it and probably spank anything vw powered....just make sure you weld/spool the rear end and get some paddles, or you'll dig yourself half way to china

Old 05-18-2003, 12:20 PM
AggiePSD
Elder User
Dune Buggy Questions

I built a dune buggy from a VW and it worked out great. The reason that they are so popular is the size, weight, and weight distribution. You have the engine over the drive axle. Not too many vehicle were ever made like that. Sure you can design your own, but the VW requires minimal fabrication to make it work.

Old 05-19-2003, 08:42 AM
bustedonce
Freshman User
Dune Buggy Questions

I'm looking to spend less than $2000 all together and be able to have it done over my summer vacation. So can I make a buggy w/the same style of engine over the drive axle from a cheap taurus engine? It is a front-wheel-drive engine. I'm not looking to scream by people on the beach or street. I'm looking to make a good, cheap, buggy for mudding and great doughnuts. It would be nice to do some dirt races against other buggies or even a few guys w/import cars ...or even some 4x4 guys.

Yet another question I have is:
-Is it possible to take a 300 I6 and make it a engine over the drive axle style buggy?

My dad and I know the engine fairly well, both he and I have it in our trucks, and it seems to be a great candidate. Great torque and torque curve that would allow for great burnouts and to get through to harder spots that require that 300 I6 "uhhmmph".

Would it be cost efficient to do that? Or would a front-wheel-drive engine do better?

P.S. thanks for the advice guys.

Old 05-19-2003, 09:55 AM
millertime300
Senior User
Dune Buggy Questions

Just go to the dunes and check out what everybody is running.
The ford pinto 4 banger is very popular. The bug trans axel is not. You need a bus transaxel. (out of a VW van). But you don't want a van motor, because they are too heavy.
You could probably buy a dune buggy for $2000.
Oh and by the way your can rebuilt a VW for next to nothing.
Why not buy a beater 4X4 and trailer it?

Old 05-19-2003, 09:56 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Dune Buggy Questions

The problem I see with the 300 is it's a pretty big engine. Not to mention it would take some seriously creative work to make it work in a rear-mount setup. Even the Taurus engines aren't really small, but I think they would still be a better choice out of the two. You might consider looking for a 4 cyl. front wheel drive motor/tranny setup. Much smaller and lighter.

Old 05-19-2003, 10:44 AM
jbalestri
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dune Buggy Questions

Not to offend anyone, but you are all missing why most buggies and sand rails have VW engines. They do not require a radiator. The VW engines that are used are the old air-cooled motors.

Secondly, the bus transaxles actually act like a locked differential when you get on it real hard.

If you put in a water cooled engine, you are facing a serious problem if a rock or something goes into the radiator or if you blow a line, etc.

Any other transaxle set up, i.e Taurus will let the wheel with the least amount of traction spin, it will never "lock" up like a bus transaxle. Can we say "WORTHLESS"?

You should be able to get a 1800 to 2100cc VW and a transaxle for well less than $1000 and I see frames that are set up, minus drivetrain for about $1000. Rebuilding a VW engine can be done for less than $300. Let's see anyone rebuild a water cooled engine for less than that.

Old 05-19-2003, 04:33 PM
superswamper
Elder User
Dune Buggy Questions

on another note, you if you search the want ad's in your area there is bounded to be a dune buggy for around 2000......by the way... the buggy's aren't so hot in mud, a friend and i found out the hard way.

and about the radiator question......all you do with that is mount a smaller radaitor behind the seat and put an electric fan on it. Between the engine being in the open air and an electric fan they stay plenty cool.

but do look around at what people are running in your area and especially on the web...

Old 05-19-2003, 08:14 PM
AggiePSD
Elder User
Dune Buggy Questions

Talking about running a dune buggy in mud, some friends and I found out about that too. The only white spot left on our bodies was our eyes and teeth when we smiled because of the fun! But man, we were filthy!

I'd stick with the VW, unless you just feel like being really creative.

Old 05-19-2003, 10:16 PM
trojanman25
Senior User
Dune Buggy Questions

thought about a porche motor? small engines, plenty of power....

Old 05-20-2003, 12:50 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dune Buggy Questions

Cadillac Northstar V-8, lightweight, lots of power...

May break the $2K limit though.

GM Quad 4's also make great sand runners.

Jason

Old 05-20-2003, 08:11 PM
ckrichard
Elder User
Dune Buggy Questions

Northstar v8 dune buggy

Chris

Old 05-22-2003, 09:53 AM
bustedonce
Freshman User
Dune Buggy Questions

thanks for all the advice. I've learned a great deal from it. I am now more going toward staying with a VW after the explanation of why they are popular motor/drivetrain combos for dune buggies.

This Porche motor idea sounds great ....but its probably out of my pricerange. I'm only 17 years old. I can only afford to spend around $2000, based on the fact that I make $6.50/hour and need to save up for college. I am saying this only due to the fact that I'm assuming that the motor will be expensive. But I don't know that awful much about Porche so I could be wrong.

So I think that I will do the suggested and check out the buggy scene around my area and ask some questions.

Yet one more questions:
-Have any of you built a dune buggy and have some hints for me?

Old 05-26-2003, 10:26 PM
unctarheels01
New User
Dune Buggy Questions

AS far as the Porsche engine, you could go with the air-cooled 914 engine. It was nearly the same as the microbus engine. Maybe just a different tune. Or, you could do what the newer buggies are being made with. The Honda four banger! Most sand rails are being made with V-dubs though, because they are serviceable and the parts are cheap. 914,s were aircooled v-dubs too.

Old 05-27-2003, 02:51 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dune Buggy Questions

My father had a dune buggy with a 327 Chevy in it. That thing was near-bout unstoppable (for a Chevy).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dune Buggy Questions