Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Junior User

Big_Daddy_O is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air bags or leaf

I have a question I tow a 8500 travel trailer and have a reese strait line hitch rated for 15,000 lbs spring bars. I am getting alot of tailer sway and I think I have the hitch setup right. Watching the rear suspension last time towing seems like it wants to move up and down alot. So I was searching and found alot of people are putting air bags on the new trucks because of the leafs being so long for the RIDE. Would it be better to add the Firestone air ride or have another leaf added?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 PM
SPONSOR

AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.
AirLiftCompany AirLiftCompany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_O View Post
I have a question I tow a 8500 travel trailer and have a reese strait line hitch rated for 15,000 lbs spring bars. I am getting alot of tailer sway and I think I have the hitch setup right. Watching the rear suspension last time towing seems like it wants to move up and down alot. So I was searching and found alot of people are putting air bags on the new trucks because of the leafs being so long for the RIDE. Would it be better to add the Firestone air ride or have another leaf added?
If you can give me your year, make, model, and if it's a 2wd or 4wd, I can find a kit that will work for your application. Adding air springs to the rear of your truck will give you the best of both worlds. Inflate the bags when carrying a load to eliminate the squat, correct headlight aim, eliminate trailer sway, improve braking/steering, and more. Deflate the bags when riding empty for a softer ride.

On a side note, as I'm sure you already know, the air bag system will not increase your load capacity/rating. Just a standard disclaimer. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 AM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
I'd go air bags. AAL may effect your unloaded ride.

I don't have my bags installed yet (and I've had 'em for like a year!) so I can't say how they are unloaded, but with 5psi in them (min recommended psi), I doubt that'd make a difference unloaded.

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany View Post
If you can give me your year, make, model, and if it's a 2wd or 4wd, I can find a kit that will work for your application. Adding air springs to the rear of your truck will give you the best of both worlds. Inflate the bags when carrying a load to eliminate the squat, correct headlight aim, eliminate trailer sway, improve braking/steering, and more. Deflate the bags when riding empty for a softer ride.

On a side note, as I'm sure you already know, the air bag system will not increase your load capacity/rating. Just a standard disclaimer. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
It a 2011 F250 4wd crew cab short box xlt
Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Junior User

Thanks Bullet I think that what I will be researching!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Posting Guru

wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
tire pressure?

make sure tire pressure is good and not minimum psi. i run air bags on a big 4wd and just love them. running for over 10 yrs now. the longer leafs are great for ride but they can move around a little. what shock are you running? make sure shocks are good to go. start with the simple scary stuff then work up to the expensive stuff.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Senior User

rkmfordman is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have a set of supersprings on mine and they work great and u can install them yourself in about an hour very simple and effective no drilling and ride is still good
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 AM
SPONSOR

AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.AirLiftCompany has a great reputation on FTE.
AirLiftCompany AirLiftCompany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_O View Post
It a 2011 F250 4wd crew cab short box xlt
Your truck would use our most popular kit, part number 57396. You can learn more about it here: LoadLifter 5000; Leaf Spring Leveling Kit. And check out the awesome rebate offer we have going on here: Air Lift Rebate. If you have any more questions let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
New User

ALMACK is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have installed Air Lift bags on all my pickups and really like them.

Sure makes the truck feel alot safer to drive.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM
New User

GWBade is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go with air bags . I have had them on 3 trucks and have gone on a 2000 mile trip with a 5th wheel that weighs 13000# loaded and I was glad I had them.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Senior User

Mr. Mcbeevee is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a question about your hitch? I assume that you have a weight distributing hitch? When you have your camper hooked up is the truck sitting level, or is it squatted in the rear end? We had had a camper for years and I always hooked up the camper, let the jack down, and then tightened up the bars as tight as I could get them. This would pick up the rear end some, but it still would not be level. With the F-250 I pulled it with it would still sway when a trailer truck passed me. When we bought a new camper a couple of years ago we had to go through the new customer walk through. One thing that I did learn is that for your hitch to work right your truck needs to set level when it is hooked up. This puts more weight on your front axle and reduces sway. To do this hook up your ball, then jack your trailer jack up as far as you can easily get it, pulling up the rear end of the truck. Now attach your bars as tight as they will go. Using this procedure I was able to get a couple of more links on my bars and made my truck set completely level. I was amazed at how much better the truck drove. I am now pulling a 29ft 8,000 lb loaded camper with a F-150 and do not have any trouble with sway, but I did have to add a sway brake on my hitch when I downgraded to a half ton. You might already be doing this, but if not give it a try; you will probably be surprised how much better your truck handles your camper.
1991 F-800 429 dump 5+2 speed (big farm truck)
1952 8N (Lawn Mower)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8