Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Fuel and EEC Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 04:49 PM
JGerrit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel and EEC Sensor

Where do I find the fuel sensor and EEC sensor on 92 Explorer 4x4?

Spoke to local dealer and have gotten different locations that did

not pan out. Manual shows picture of fuse box in engine bay

with a sensor but does not specify what type or function. This

fuse box is under my dash driver side, no sensor. Fuse box on right

fender has fuses for EEC and Fuel pump but cannot locate

sensors. Dealer said it was near the firewall on passenger side.

Need help !!!

Old 05-16-2003, 11:22 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel and EEC Sensor

What do you mean by fuel "sensor" and EEC "sensor?" Underneath the fuse box in the engine bay are three relays, one is the fuel pump relay and one is the EEC relay, and they aren't labeled well. You've already found the fuses. There's an "inertia switch" in the fuel pump circuit that is located inside the cabin, on the firewall, to the right of the transmission hump. The fuel pump itself is in the fuel tank. The EEC itself is inside the cabin, behind the trim panel in front of the passenger door underneath the glove box.
Are any of those items what you're looking for?

Old 05-19-2003, 09:32 AM
JGerrit
New User
Fuel and EEC Sensor

Thank You. I actual went down to the dealer and you are right the relays are under the fuse box on the fender. The problem they are not clearly marked, so I replaced the EEC which had a short as well as replaced the fuel relay by looking at the wires. The dealer mechanic said in most cases the pink wire set is fuel so that is what we did. What is that last relay from left to right far right? The only thing in the kick panel on the passenger side seems to be the computer box not the fuel reset switch.

Another member so graciously told me I posted in the wrong erena. I thank you for responding anyway. The relays were not clearly marked, nor was any markink on the cover the relays snapped in too. Do you know what relay that last one might be?

Again thank you...

Old 05-19-2003, 11:51 AM
c96drumm
Laughing Gas
Fuel and EEC Sensor

The owner's manual for my 96 has a diagram that shows which relays are what. If you don't have that, a Haynes or Chilton with wiring diagrams should show them.

Old 05-19-2003, 05:18 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel and EEC Sensor

I believe the third relay in that location is the A/C WOT cut-off relay. Not too familiar with it, other than that.
Usually I've found the best way to identify a relay is to get a wiring diagram, note which color wires are supposed to go into which relay, then find the relay that has those same color wires coming out. (just like your mechanic did. he knew that pink goes to the fuel pump relay, so he found the relay with the pink wires).
The fuel reset switch is on the firewall (the metal piece between the cabin and the engine bay) under the carpet, to the right of the transmission hump.