6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Please Read this OASIS Report...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM
ErikJeanna
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Read this OASIS Report...

So I'm back in the market for another Excursion... this time a diesel. Can't do a gasser anymore because the 7-8 mpg were killing me at the pump and my wallet!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/...asisreport.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/...report_pg1.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/...report_pg2.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/...report_pg3.jpg

I found a really nice PSD 6.0L, and all of the "problems" that people talk about scare the crap out of me. I had my local Ford dealer pull the OASIS report for me and email it. I have no clue what to look for... can you all help? Does this X sound ok or do you think the problems are just around the corner? No rants from 7.3L nuts please... just some unbiased opinions please.

TRUCK FOR SALE:
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L
97,780 miles
Dash mounted EDGE controller
Cold Air Intake
Exhaust
AMP boards
8" lift
37" tires
20" wheels
DVD/TV/NAV

Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to the ford truck forum!
The edge controller is a tuner or gauge? the cold air intakes are usually worse that the stock air cleaner. You need to bring a diesel mechanic with you or lean what to look for on this forum. You need a digital gauge that plugs into the diagnostic port. scangauge, edge insight or if you use a smart phone torque app for android or dash boss for apple. These $5.00 apps need a bluetooth dongle ($25-$50) that plugs into you diagnostics port, then you can check the health of your engine.

Last edited by Curt's05; 05-15-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: add line
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Either the truck was never serviced at a dealer, the dealer never reported anything or they didn't run a full report.

Josh

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Curt's05
You need a digital gauge that plugs into the diagnostic port. scangauge, edge insight or if you use a smart phone torque app for android or dash boss for apple. These $5.00 apps need a bluetooth dongle ($25-$50) that plugs into you diagnostics port, then you can check the health of your engine.
DashBoss is $169 FYI

Josh

Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
ErikJeanna
New User
The ad says "The dash mounted EDGE controller can dial in some extra "oomph" when you need it, or fuel economy when you don't"

The guy has agreed to a full pre-sale inspection, which is always a good sign. Let's me know that he has nothing to hide.

When I asked the dealer for an OASIS report... this is all I got. I would assume that they would know what they're doing?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Making the sale, is what they do best. Be informed and start with a cold engine and see how she warmes up. With some digital gauges and knowlege of what to look for.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
DashBoss is $169 FYI

Josh

This^^^

A GAUGE setup theres a couple others to SGII at autozone

Seen afew of these come threw lately folks bought and the trucks broke down with the first 2 weeks of going to the new Owner

Id have to think around 85% of them the previous owner KNEW it had Problems and dumped it into someone elses Lap and didnt say a Word about it

So you need a Gauge and More Important you need to know what the Numbers mean and the correct way to get the numbers

Best thing you could do if your Buying it fast is Find someone here that knows a 6.0L or Find a Good Shop that knows them have them inspect.

And NOT all Mechanics are Good with these I saw a Poor Guy Dump $$5000.00$$ trying to fix one and still had the problem after all that money Saw it yesterday so

Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
The ad says "The dash mounted EDGE controller can dial in some extra "oomph" when you need it, or fuel economy when you don't"

The guy has agreed to a full pre-sale inspection, which is always a good sign. Let's me know that he has nothing to hide.

When I asked the dealer for an OASIS report... this is all I got. I would assume that they would know what they're doing?
Notice that part in the report that says "click here for full warranty report"?

Looks like nobody clicked that and printed it out for you.

Josh

Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Josh
I was thinking the same thing. The pic posted is not the OASIS report. it's the cover page. Where's the rest of it?

By the way, IMO I wouldn't buy a 6.0 that has had an edge programer on it. That's a big sign of the previous owner didn't know what he was doing. Spend some time researching on here about the 6.0 and you will see why I say that. There are good performance mods you can do then there are bad ones.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If nothing else you should be able to get it cheap. Modded trucks are great while you own them, but when it's time to sell it better be stock or nothing...

Brian

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM
chewedtoothpick
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be worried between that CAI and the Edge controller that they likely haven't put much consideration for the long term survival of this truck, and only wanted to do the flashy and more power mods. Unless you get this smoking cheap, I would be more worried about any impending repair costs than the cost-per-mile difference between your current gasser and this particular diesel.

You should find the most reputible diesel shop in your area to do a thorough inspection (In my area it costs about $140 for a full inspection from any of the shops) and possibly post to your local area and see if any of the more experienced members is willing to help.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Josh

Correct, they need to click "click here for full warranty report". I had a few dealers give me the cover page. I sent them back to do it again.

This is what it should look like.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
ErikJeanna
New User
Thanks for your help guys... I sent a request back to my Ford contact this morning in hopes that he re-runs the report and send me the whole thing.

I have no problem paying for a full inspection... it'd be a small price to pay to have piece of mind. The guy has the truck for sale for $18,250... which I feel is pretty high. It has less on it than my V10 gasser X and it took me 6 months to sell it and I only got $9,750 for it. I figure if I can get it for around $14,000, it might not be a bad deal. Not sure if he would go for it, but I'd be OK with walking.

What do you all think?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 PM
ErikJeanna
New User
OK... the rest of the OASIS report came back (new pages added to original post). Lots more information... let me know what you all think.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/...report_pg1.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/...report_pg2.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/...report_pg3.jpg

Now I'm no mechanic... but reading about all of these problems has turned me off to this rig. Am I reading this thins wrong or should I indeed walk away from this one?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All depends on how it was driven with the tuner. It looks like it has spent some time in the shop. I would say low ball him and if he doesn't accept keep looking.

I am sure Benny will disagree but I would steer clear of '03 6.0L's. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Please Read this OASIS Report...