1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

239 flatty fired up !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
239 flatty fired up !!!

Good news this morning from the engine shop .The 239 flatty for the stock truck is running . About time over 3K & 2 yrs later . Will make a trip up there early wed. morning . He said it has 2 minor problems .
1. LH H2O pump is leaking . One was rebuilt . I don't remember which .Any suggestions where to get a quality rebuilt pump for a reasonable price . Would any one on the site have a good LH pump ?
2. Also stated the carb was trashed .I cleaned it all up & installed a rebuild kit . I guess I am better at wood working than carb rebuilding . Again any one have a source for a quality rebuild at a reasonable price ?
This engine is nearing a $$ pit . Need some help . Thanks , Denny

Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Flathead Sarge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on getting it running!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
NOS pumps are likely still available. I'll see if I can find you one.

You can also try EGGE Machine in California. I'd trust their work. EGGE Machine Company - Parts and Services for Nostalgic Motors

Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
speedway selles the pumps

Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Denny - Charlie Price at Vintage Speed is right up the road from you at Vero Beach. I got a nice rebuilt carb from him that works well and looks great too.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Brand new pumps are available from many vendors. I purchased a new set from Speedway a decade ago and was very happy with them. I recommend new over NOS. The grease in the sealed NOS ball bearings degrades over the decades and the bearings fail, sometime spectacularly.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM
jack orchard
Tuned
What is the carb doing wrong? These are simple carbs. You can fix it. Make sure all passages are open. Shoot carb cleaner thru them. Pay careful attention to the power valve (correct gasket so it does't leak). Set float level to 1 7/16" w/o the gasket. Ues a fuel filter inline before the fuel pump. Check needle and seat for debris that causes the needle to stick. All parts are available from Vintage Speed as mentioned above. Don't give up. Good luck...jack
Speedway water pumps are good.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Visited the engine shop early ( 9 am ) wed. morning . I think I found the reason it took 2 yrs. for the build . It wasn't lack of funds on my part but those guys start tipping the cool frosties a little early in the am. for me . They were already on the Mick lights when I arrived there . I told them if they had to hit it that early they might as well drink something that has some kick to it . . One can drink nearly a six pack of that brand & barely get a minor buzz !!

The engine ran very well . Has been decades sionce I've heard a flatty run .Seems the carb butterflies were not opening freely . Had rapid thoughts of brining it home , install , and related components but still owe them some $$.

Have a LH H2O pump on the way .
If another carb rebuild by Firstrider doesn't work another FTE member offered to rebuild it .Will keep you posted .

Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by petemcl
Denny - Charlie Price at Vintage Speed is right up the road from you at Vero Beach. I got a nice rebuilt carb from him that works well and looks great too.
Pete , Vero Bch . is where the engine was rebuilt at American Cylinder . Funny the engine shop guys didn't refer me over there for a carb & water pump . Will find out the info & call them .

Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
Pete , Vero Bch . is where the engine was rebuilt at American Cylinder . Funny the engine shop guys didn't refer me over there for a carb & water pump . Will find out the info & call them .
Maybe Charlie doesn't drink Mick Light in the AM?! ;-)

Good luck

Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Obtained the Vintage Speed contact info off the web. Will call Charlie mon. & see if he can help me out with the carb & if he knows the guys at American Cylinder .Will keep you posted . Thanks Pete

Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by jack orchard
What is the carb doing wrong? These are simple carbs. You can fix it. Make sure all passages are open. Shoot carb cleaner thru them. Pay careful attention to the power valve (correct gasket so it does't leak). Set float level to 1 7/16" w/o the gasket. Ues a fuel filter inline before the fuel pump. Check needle and seat for debris that causes the needle to stick. All parts are available from Vintage Speed as mentioned above. Don't give up. Good luck...jack
Speedway water pumps are good.
Make sure all surfaces are flat, especially bowl to base, else you have a vacuum leak that will interfere with proper functioning of the power valve. Airhorn to bowl fit is also crucial, or you will have leaks/seeping. People try to counter this by tightening the screws more, which only warps the airhorn further, worsening the seeping, etc. Also, make sure your throttle shaft has no slop, or you will have a vacuum leak that will cause you to try different jets, post questions here, etc. Insist on a steel float needle, save yourself some hassle.

If VS rebuilds it, upon getting it home, take it apart and blow out all passages really well, and make sure all internal parts are matching. I haven't had dealings with VS, but one minute of research on the HAMB will net you many folks that have had mismatched parts. Even more concerning, after dissembling the carb, being able to pour glass beads out of it.

Am I knocking VS, no, certainly not. Many people have had good luck with him. But, the topic arises on the HAMB on many occasions, and too many people have had the above problems to chalk it up to coincidence.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=charlie+price
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...e+price&page=2
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=vintage+speed
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...e+speed&page=3