Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 401, 477, & 534 SD Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM
New User

poates is starting off with a positive reputation.
Prepping 534 for long trip

Hi folks -
Newbie here, but grew up with C series trucks in the fire department and just bought one. 1970 C850. 5sp. Very nice shape. Fire body removed. But here's the question:

I need get it from FL to CT. It has 17K miles on it. I think I might drive it, burning the numbers off my credit card for fuel. What should I do to prep it? I don't know exactly where it's been recently and what condition internals are. It looks good and sounds good. I'm thinking things like:

- change all fluids and filters
- proactively change all belts, hoses
- maybe even change out the alternator if I can't tell age
- does this engine have flat tappets? should I make sure I have oil compatible with older engines (zinc/phosphates)
- transmission fluids, filters

And any chance I'd get over 5 MPGs given that it is empty?

Thx for your thoughts....

poates
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE.

This engine has flat tappets with hydraulic lifters.

Something like Shell Rotella 15w-40 would work methinks.

That zinc thing is mostly for break in afaik, but it isn't a bad idea to watch that with an older engine.

Shell RotellaŽ Products | Shell Rotella

As far as your prep, sounds good. Not sure I'd change the alternator.

5 mpg is what I'd expect.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior User

manglass is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If it's been sitting a lot you might want to change the thermostat too. Worst case, you can always remove it on the side of the road. If the alternator is charging, it should be fine for the trip.

Lou Manglass
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 PM
New User

poates is starting off with a positive reputation.
update

thanks for the feedback so far. I've held off pulling the trigger. Geez, its a nice truck, and really cheap, but want to make sure I respect what I am getting into.

I've searched the site for parts sources for the 534 cu inch and am not finding much. I also talked to my local NAPA guy and we had trouble finding filters and other parts for it. BUT, I know there are a lot of fire departments out there still running these, so they are getting parts from somewhere. I guess I need to call FordMoCo and check.

Anyone have a reliable parts source? Hard to commit to a long term relationship with a big engine if I can't take care of her

Paul
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM
New User

Rodney R is starting off with a positive reputation.
Plugs, points, condensor. Each year, Period. Always meant about 1mpg on our '73 L900. That would take it from 3mpg up to 4 mpg, even if it sounded like it ran fine.

Rodney
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 401, 477, & 534 SD Engines