1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

CPS help please.....Pulling my hair out!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM
97bamastroked
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPS help please.....Pulling my hair out!!

I don't know if my truck info will post with this so here is my truck:

1997 F350 DRW, 7.3L PSD, bone stock.

Now my problem: In the last six months I have burned through six cps's (all of them were the grey ones from Advance Auto). I did some research over the weekend and decided to try the part # css1103 from Napa(also a grey one). It lasted overnight and failed the next morning. The other six on lasted a month or so as well.

The symptoms are all of a sudden, it will run like its only firing on about 4 cylinders. It takes having the foot pedal to the floor just to keep it from dying. It throws a SEL at this point until the cps is replaced. I have had the codes checked and there are none about the cps, but I don't know if they were using the correct diagnostic tool either.

I have done some research on this forum about this and related problems and have found that others recommend using the black cps. I checked with the nearest stealership and they want about 20 bucks more than what this part goes for and its a grey one as well. I also found out that the grey cps's were supposed to have been farmed out for production to china.

My questions are first, is there anything else in the system that could be making my truck eat cps's? I have checked the harness leading to it and there aren't any bare spots. (the loom is still intact even) Can't find any broke fuses either.

Second, is the black cps available anywhere other than ordering it from a website on the internet and will it fix this problem?

Six or seven months ago, when this problem first started, the cps that failed was a black one. Don't know if this makes a difference but I figured I would include it anyway.

Please feel free to chime in..........I am going crazy here trying to just keep this truck on the road!

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the most logical place to start is to get a good CPS from the dealership and see how it runs with that in there. Until then, we are kind of guessing.

In fact we are kind of guessing anyway without knowing what the codes are that are setting the CEL. If it were mine I would:
1- order a new CPS from Riffraff Diesel HERE
2- check the valve cover connectors to see if you have any burned pins. I would probably also ohm out the injectors and harnesses through the valve covers to see if you have a problem under the valve cover. You're going to be ohming between the center pin of each 5 pin connector and the two pins beside the center pin. You're looking for around 3.2 ohms on each injector. The reason I suggest this is that the IDM can shut down a whole bank of cylinders if it senses that there is an issue with an injector or wiring harness. My theory is that the CPS isn't actually your issue, but replacing it is masking the problem.

I still suggest getting a new (Motorcraft) CPS just because it is only a matter of time until the cheap CPS IS actually the problem and replacing it is a cheap way to eliminate that as a possibility.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM
97bamastroked
New User
I did in fact replace the IDM 2 years ago. As for the replacement CPS, I am looking for the best angle on this. The one at RiffRaff looks like a winner. As son as I can shuffle some funds, I will probably order that one. Any clue how long they usually take to ship items?

Also, I will need to check and see if I have an ohm meter. I have a voltage tester(digital) but I will have to check and see what all it will test.

Thanks for the reply and I am still checking this so chime in if anyone else has suggestions.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 AM
jeep1947
Senior User

If you have a International dealer close they have the black CPS. Normally in stock. Hope this helps. Like Nate said start with ohming injectors at vch first. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Riffraff usually ships the same day you place the order. Nice price too.

If you have a digital meter, it should test resistance (ohms). It is usually the setting with the Greek symbol Omega on it. Looks like this:

The pins in the 5 pin connector on the valve cover are as follows: GP-INJ-COM-INJ-GP.
GP=Glow Plug
INJ= Injector
COM= Common

You want to test between the common and each injector in that connector, then unplug the next one and test that set of injectors. Four connections total. This saves you a little time in pulling the valve covers off to visually inspect the under valve cover wiring harnesses (UVCWH's) and injectors separately. If you get some screwy readings, then you have to go in there anyway, but at least then you know where to start.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned above, FIRST buy a new CPS from the dealer or IH and go from there.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 PM
97bamastroked
New User
Thanks guys for all the input! I will see if I have an International dealer close by. Seems like I have seen one recently here. When I get things in a forward motion, I will repost here with an update. I also have a Suburban that is in need of plug wires and it sucks being almost broke until payday (8 days from now blah).

Old 09-30-2012, 07:18 AM
97bamastroked
New User
Well guys, here is the update: My Dad ordered a CPS from RiffRaff Diesel and I got it on Friday. Put it in and bingo, popped right off! No blue smoke, no hesitation, just the good old cackle and growl.

I got 2 driving tests yesterday after putting it in and went to the store to grab dinner. On the way out of the parking lot, a woman wasn't even looking and blew the stop sign she was supposed to stop for. It was raining and I couldn't get the 9k pound beast out of her way so I cut the wheel hard to the left, locked up the brakes and tried anyway! Passenger side dually hit her jeep in the frontend and ripped the axle loose and pulled the driveshaft out of the transmission! I get so sick of idiot drivers that just get in and drive and don't pay attention! She got a ticket on the scene and I am going to bring up the fact that her tinting on her side windows was so dark that you couldn't even see a figure through the window.

Anyway, thanks for the advice about the CPS problem. Also, RiffRaff doesn't sell the black CPS anymore, they are the dark blue ones. They said they quit making the black ones about 2 years ago.

Again, thanks guys!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to hear that. People like that are very frustrating, but they're out there............and we're not allowed to shoot em! Just glad no one was hurt.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM
97bamastroked
New User
Yeah I forgot to add that. My son and I are fine. Shook him up a little but other than that no injuries. Once I seen that happening, I actually was expecting the effect of the impact. Probably because I have had that happen before! I will try to post a couple pics if I can.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 97bamastroked
Yeah I forgot to add that. My son and I are fine. Shook him up a little but other than that no injuries.
Good to hear!!

Holy T-bone Batman, this was not how I suspected your CPS problem to be solved!!

6 sensors in 6 months, are there really that many bad ones or could something else be damaging them? I read that some sensor had to be shimmed but don't recall if they where making contact or just too close to be effective.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 AM
baker1983
Senior User
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Good to hear!!

Holy T-bone Batman, this was not how I suspected your CPS problem to be solved!!

6 sensors in 6 months, are there really that many bad ones or could something else be damaging them? I read that some sensor had to be shimmed but don't recall if they where making contact or just too close to be effective.
I went thru 4 parts store ones when mine went got one from ford and not a prob since same thing w my vss my truck just hates part
Store sensors

Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by baker1983
I went thru 4 parts store ones when mine went got one from ford and not a prob since same thing w my vss my truck just hates part
Store sensors
There are 4 (I think) CPS's for the OBS truck depending on engine serial number. There is a thread around somewhere indicating which CPS goes to serial number range. I'm sure Ford does not want to support 4 different items on such a limited model year so they probably designed one to work, in most cases, in model year 94.5 - 97.

IMO purchasing one from the internet or parts store is a big gamble because it's just left over inventory from the past.