Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission output shaft seal removal help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission output shaft seal removal help needed

I'm trying to replace my transmission output shaft seal on my 2wd and I can't seem to get the seal removed. I couldn't find anything to rent from O'rielly's or Advance Autoparts that would work.

It's in there really tight and I was hoping someone could chime in here who has done this to their 2wd truck before that could share some wisdom.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I usually use a slide hammer, small cheap body work style, with a bent hook on the end. I have made several hooks out old allen wrenches. Nice and strong and and you don't loose the 90 when you start pulling against it.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
I usually use a slide hammer, small cheap body work style, with a bent hook on the end. I have made several hooks out old allen wrenches. Nice and strong and and you don't loose the 90 when you start pulling against it.

How do you attach the slide hammer to the allen wrench?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
I was wondering if he welded something to the end of the allen wrench like a bolt or maybe a hook to attach to the hook on the cheap slide hammer. Or maybe you could purchase something like this from Harbor freight.
Slide Hammer - Great Deals on Slide Hammers at Harbor Freight
Dwayne

******** src="http://p.datastomp.com/9/3/39.js" async="" type="text/javascript">*********>
What is up with this thing above this sentence. It is in every post I make now and is really !@$$%&^ me off

Last edited by 1fixitman; 09-16-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: change words
Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
sbscribing...need to replace mine as well. Howd you remove the yoke/driveline adaptor? Seems to be a one piece design.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I either use a seal removal tool or a small chisel and hammer.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 PM
cutlass
Elder User
I just finished removing the seal. It took using a standard screwdriver and a hammer to get it off. None of the slide hammers had the appropriate tools that would fit inside the seal and pull it out and I wasn't willing/able to fab my own tool.

I found a spot on the lip of the seal that I could get the tip of the screwdriver in and begin to pry it out a little. I had to start at the top and work all around to get it out enough to begin using the hammer in the next step. After there was enough gap between the seal and the end of the transmission case, I fit the tip of the screwdriver at an angle so it would push the seal out when struck with the hammer.

Lots and lots of patience, but I finally got it off with a mouthful of transmission fluid as the seal popped out. I should have taken a picture of my face after this happened. Pretty funny.

You must be very careful when trying to wedge the screwdriver in there to pry out the seal. If you gouge the tail where the seal mates up to it, expect a leak. I just put a little dab of black silicone on the end piece where the seal mates up to it. Before doing so, I took a file to even out the surface.

To install the new seal I went to Clark's Tool and bought a big 3" socket for $25 to use to place against the lip of the seal and used a rubber mallet to seat it in place. The socket has to have enough depth to it to clear the splined output shaft coming out of the end of the transmission. Make sure the small hole in the rubber boot of the seal is facing upwards at 12:00 as to allow the seal to vent while not letting the fluid drip out.

The hardest part by far was taking the old one out. It took literally less than 15 seconds to install the new seal.

Drake

Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
sbscribing...need to replace mine as well. Howd you remove the yoke/driveline adaptor? Seems to be a one piece design.

If I remember correctly, I had taken the driveshaft out of the differential first and unscrewed the 2 bolts out of the U-shaped piece that held the center section of my 2-piece driveshaft. I then took the driveshaft and pulled rearwards to remove it from the transmission output shaft.

I don't know if that answers your question or not.

Drake

Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably could have just drilled a hole in a 2x4 or 2x6 to fit over the output shaft and tapped on the wood in a circular pattern to seat it. Cheap but it works.
Dwayne

Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 PM
foxx0021
New User
Pretty sure the pinhole in the lip of the seal is to let any water that happens to condense inside the seal from changing temperatures to drain out, thus why it should be facing down so your seal doesn't fill up with water. No transmission fluid should get to that part of the seal, it should all be contained within the face that meets the driveshaft.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:24 AM
Skydivelout
Tuned
I just did this. There is a small lip on the outside (barely noticeable) that prevents the shaft seal from going in too far when fitting. Get a flat head screw driver behind it and pry it out. I screwed mine up, but it was leaking anyway which is why I was removing it. They're like $11 ish I think from O'reillys

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...98998413426511

This shows the flat lip that sits flush against the transmission