1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hot rodder getting back into the game.....

Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM
wld427
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot rodder getting back into the game.....

Hey fellas,

Take it easy on me.....

I have been a member of these forums for quite some time now and i really have not posted at all. I have used the information you folks post on here as a bible for all my regular maintainance to my vehicles.

I am a 3rd generation hot rodder and everyone in my family bleeds ford blue.
My vehicles currently are a 2007 F150 FX2, 2010 Ford escape, and my 1952 Ford F1 hot rod.

I have recently retired form the US Army and decided to stay in the south. I grew up in the metro Detroit area where salvage yards are more than plentiful. i am a traditional hot rodder and like to fabricate my stuff instead of buying it all out of magazines and online stores like Jegs.

A little about my family heirloom....

1952 ford F1 that my grandpa won in a card game in 1963. he made custom front end for it out of 65 galaxie parts he had laying around the garage after trying to get original parts for it for a couple years. Grandpa was a true hot rodder and metal smith. Did auto body work till the day he passed. Everything about the truck is custom. My dad inherited the truck in 1978 just before my birth and turned it into a smallblock street cruiser and did the current custom paint job. I inherited the truck on my 16th birthday and was my summer daily driver. I went big block with it installing a 427-8v and tearing up the streets of dearborn heights michigan. i credit alot of the time turning wrenches in the garage and working hard at a body shop after school with my dad, to make money for parts, as the reasons i stayed away from drugs and trouble as a teenager. Some of the best memories of my life.

In 2002 the shop where i worked since i graduated high school closed after being over-run by a consolidator in the metro Detroit area. I decided to serve my country in the US Army and enlisted only a couple weeks later. The old gal went into storage for the last 10 years. Sitting on jackstands in my Dad's barn was not kind to her. her paint has plenty of dings and scratches, fortunately no rust, but plenty of renewing needing to be done.

During my 5th overseas deployment i was critically injured by a roadside bomb in Iraq. My recovery was long and painful and i greatfully accepted a medical retirement from the US Army. With my ongoing recovery it has been good therapy to finally turn some wrenches again, thus re-kindling my love for the hobby and cruising. i can't work nearly as long or hard as i used to, but that gives me time to savor the results. Now it is my turn to teach my 8 year old daughter the meaning of hard work and pride in ownership. Someday the 52 will be hers too. She hands me wrenches and is still learning the different tools. We have a great time together making up for all the lost years i spent overseas. So far we have completely re-done all the brakes in the 2 weeks since i hauled the ole Ford down here from Michigan. I am looking forward to getting her back on the street and enjoying the longer cruising seasons of the south.

these pics are from storage in Dad's barn. Int he late 90's when i was hot rodding we didn't have digital cameras yet

Motor:
1966 Ford 427. stock pistons 10.5:1, LeMans rods, stock crank, 427 medium riser heads, Comp hydraulic cam, Ford 2x4 competition intake, custom spacers by me (to mount double pumpers sideways).

C-6 custom tranny by me with motorsport low planetary set, and full transgo clutches, springs and front pump.

out back 9inch ford, nodular center, 4:56 detroit Locker

Thanks for checking out my post. i did enough in here. i look forward to sharing more of the re-newing with you guys.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 PM
jamesadams
Senior User
That is one of a kind,and a great story,thanks for your service.my eleven year old son is learning a lot from our 52 f3.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Thank you for your service!

I know you said you've been a member here a while but since it's your first post. Welcome to the forum!

You've got a one of kind truck there! And It's got a cool story with a long history in your family.

I bet that it would be one fun ride with that 427 too!!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, can't wait to see more pics of this thing! Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to the forum, and thanks for you service......

wow, if i had a truck my grandfather and father owned and worked on......wow..... just so cool.

i don't think i'd change much, great pictures and thanks for posting.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 PM
55F250
Tuned
Thanks for your service!

What a great story, what a cool truck, looking forward to seeing more, welcome home!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all thank you very much for your service to our country, Im glad you are back home with family. Welcome to the site, and thanks for sharing the story of your 52, its nice to know the history behind a truck that has been in a family for three going on four generations if i read correctly. Looking forward to watching as you rekindle your passion and share it with us.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi there and welcome also. I could get used to that grille, and 427. Is the grille 66 Ford? I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
Hi there and welcome also. I could get used to that grille, and 427. Is the grille 66 Ford? I'm looking forward to seeing more.
If I read his post right he said the parts were from a 65 Galaxie.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM
calorchard
Senior User
WILD TRUCK!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
First of all i would like to say thank you for your service & sorry about your injury.
i am glad that you are back home with your family.enjoy every minute that you can with your daughter as they grow up so fast & the next thing that you know she will be
driving that truck that is a real one of a kind & welcome to fte

Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome. Definitely an original truck. Thanks for your service to our country.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Truck. I also thank you for your service. Greywolf has a thread thing on here for the Vet's. You would be most welcome there. I hope someone can fined you a link to it.

Okay I found it. Hope this works

VET NET
Group Created by Greywolf

Veterans Network -
Active Retired and Ex service members at FTE
USN,USMC,Army and Air Force National Guard, USAF, US ARMY, Coast Guard, and Veterans of Allied Nations.

WE TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN

FORUM THREAD:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...et-at-fte.html

Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
bk53
Senior User
Hi, welcome home. interesting truck. grandad must have been something. I left that area a couple years before you came along I guess. two of my favorite vehicles all wrapped up there and the 427? anywaY, glad you are home and safe. I'm outside of dallas if i can ever be of service. reckin south is a big place though.
Bill stock 53 f100

Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service. I grew up south of Toledo OH. and all we had were junk yards to find our parts. Oh those were the days. We welcome another Darksider the the forum.

"Chevrolet...... means - Shiver in the road and lay in the shop"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hot rodder getting back into the game.....