Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ch**y vs Ford

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2000, 05:37 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ch**y vs Ford

This really is a non-issue. They are not comparable. In fact, Ch**ys are not fit to be mentioned in polite conversation. Dodge? That is OK to talk about. Saw a lot of really good looking older Dodge pickups this last weekend. Really appreciate them now that we have all those ugly new Rams running around. But the nicest truck I saw last weekend was a early 70s Ford pickup with a longbed flareside. SWEET!
Ford first! Dodge OK, but Ch**Y--nay!

(As I said before, I have nothing against any of the manufacturers, but I do have my personal preferences and it is fun to play the game.)

Old 11-18-2000, 01:28 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ch**y vs Ford

Roger That. If I hear one more cow poke down here talking about his Chebbie I am going to puke. Around here if you have a late 70's Chebbie half ton (the more ragged out the better) put big tires on the back, Fart cans on the exhaust and a drift of Coors Light cans in the front of the bed then you have a race machine. OK. I had some nut wanting to race me last week as I was in my 66 Fairlane (currently 390 dynoed 375 HP at the rear tires) After I won then the excuses came flying. lol.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 11-21-2000, 09:10 PM
hotrodford_88
Posting Guru
Ch**y vs Ford

Old 11-04-2004, 05:33 PM
F-Deuce50
Senior User
chevy owners are full of excuses. Why do you think they parts are so cheap...cuz they complain and because they are made cheap

Old 11-04-2004, 08:05 PM
phillipSVT
Junior User
I have driven Dodge, Chevy and Ford. For the few years they were around, all the trucks seem to be of the same quality. Each manufacturer had its small warrenty problems, but nothing major. Today, with every car/truck, slight differences occur, but nothing major to dramatically say one is so much better than the other. I would drive a chevy any day of the week if I had to.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am a Ford man all the way, but I do have to say this about Chevy: they make decent products. At least from what I have SEEN. For example, my neighbor has had Chevys all his life, every one of them treating him good, and never leaving him on the side of the road with the hood up. He had an El Camino with over 250,000 miles with no major work done. He now has a 2002 Trailblazer with 60,000 miles, and no major work. I have no complaints about eather Dodge or Chevy, I was just bought up around Ford trucks all my life. Now take my 2003 Ford that I bought since new it now has 41,000 miles and it already has problems with the new 6.0L engine. I have invested a lot of money into this engine to get the problem fixed, but I don't care I drive it anyway. I will never buy a Chevy or a Dodge, why because everyone is different. Freedom of chioce is a great thing. BUT as the saying goes, "I'd rather push a Ford then drive a Chevy".

Old 11-05-2004, 12:52 AM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Well if it were the case that Chevy's were so god awful as a few of you say, they would never sell any vehicles ever. I personally think I would be very satisfied to own ANY new full sized truck, be it Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Nissan. Now yes they do have their similarities and differences but if you dont treat them like a complete idiot they will be a good enough vehicle.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:37 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I personally think the Chevy/GMC pickups are the closest to the '05 Super Duty in terms of the best vehicle.

I personally wouldn't touch a Dodge with a 40ft pole, I have heard to many concerns with respect to quality, I don't think they build 2 cars alike, it is just luck of the draw (I know its like this to a certain extent with all manufacturers, but a lot more so with any Dodge/Chrysler product, and now with the merger unfortunately Mercedes is heading down the same route...)

I also think the Cummins is well overated, yes it has a good reputation, and you can create extreme horsepower and torque with the standard block, but in terms of power, and torque delivery the PSD and Duramax have far more desirable power/torque curves for any use - with the exception of plowing a paddock...

Just my .02

Old 11-05-2004, 12:27 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
How does one define quality?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:35 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
My take on the full size trucks:

Chev/GMC have decent engine & drivetrains but need a major interior makeover... Tired, old design with poor ergodynamics. The Ford Super Duty is much more comfortable especially for the long haul.

Dodge has a good engine but crew cab is too small with a rough ride and quality (poor fit & finish) issues- The engine might go over 200,000 miles but the truck won't.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Hawkins
Senior User
I'll take a GMC over the Ford based on experience.

1984 GMC Jimmy - Minor maintanace for past 20 years.
Replaced carb
Replaced Starter

1993 Ford F350 SRW CC LB 7.3 IDI
Replaced Transmission and Second one now needs a rebuild
Replaced Complete Injection system twice
Axle Seals (Front and rear) have go out 3 times causing complete brake jobs way ahead of schedule.
Replaced Starter three times
Replaced Idler pully 4 times and it has failed with no warning twice. each time taking out the transmission coolant lines along with other wiring when the belt came off. ($600 repair each time)

The only reasons we are getting a Ford this time are:
1) Wife loves King Ranch interior
2) Payload and towing is higher than GMC - Needed for wifes fifth wheeler
3) better price
4) Lesser of two evils between dealers.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:22 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Now, I ain't no rocket scientist or anything, but something tells me that the F-350 saw a little bit more use and abuse than the Jimmy, that's really an unfair comparison. If it didn't, then you overkilled what you needed when you got an F-350.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Hawkins
Senior User
Nope The GMC has seen more use and abuse than the F350. GMC towed a max load tralier and was maxed out in weight on trip from Nebraska to Alaska. Both have hauled max weight trailers and are primary vehicles for both of us. GMC was only vehicle for first 7 years. The F350's First fuel system was replaced within 1 years of owning vehicle (Had to be towed to the dealer 6 times before they replaced the fuel system the first time.) Transmission was replaced within two years. 1st Rear seals within 6 months. F350 was bought to replace F250 SC. It was the only Diesel on the lot that was a CC when I bought it. It towed my wifes trailer one trip a year for 3 years starting on year 4.

Old 11-06-2004, 06:42 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkins
I'll take a GMC over the Ford based on experience.

1984 GMC Jimmy - Minor maintanace for past 20 years.
Replaced carb
Replaced Starter

1993 Ford F350 SRW CC LB 7.3 IDI
Replaced Transmission and Second one now needs a rebuild
Replaced Complete Injection system twice
Axle Seals (Front and rear) have go out 3 times causing complete brake jobs way ahead of schedule.
Replaced Starter three times
Replaced Idler pully 4 times and it has failed with no warning twice. each time taking out the transmission coolant lines along with other wiring when the belt came off. ($600 repair each time)

The only reasons we are getting a Ford this time are:
1) Wife loves King Ranch interior
2) Payload and towing is higher than GMC - Needed for wifes fifth wheeler
3) better price
4) Lesser of two evils between dealers.
How many miles on each total, and what did you pull with the GMC and the F350?

Old 11-07-2004, 07:47 PM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by TallPaul
In fact, Ch**ys are not fit to be mentioned in polite conversation. Dodge? That is OK to talk about.
Hmmm. Rules say:

READ BEFORE POSTING HERE!

ONLY TECH TALK IS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM

The purpose of this forum is to make intelligent comparisons of other makes against ford. They don't have to be in favor of Ford but they must be reasonable in any matter or direction. NO BRAND BASHING WILL BE ALLOWED! PERIOD!!

THERE WILL BE:

-ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS ALLOWED PERIOD!!

-ABSOLUTELY NO PROFANITY!!
Absolutely NONE in reference or descriptions of people, places, or things.

Do not bump the language filter!

THIS IS WARNING 1,2, and 3 to everybody!

How about if this thread had started with "Ford is not fit to be mentioned in polite conversation"? Is it only brand bashing if it's ford getting bashed?