Sponsored by: DP Tuner

fire roasted 'stroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:34 PM
falconwrench
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fire roasted 'stroke

Hey fellas! First, thanks again to you guys that took time to try to answer my stupid questions last couple of time I was in here. The 7.3 'strokes been a learning adventure, and I'm coming along. Here's my next dumb question:

When I bought this truck (01 F250 2wd spd) the PO threw in a spare motor. Neat, huh? Well maybe. I'm told it came out of an 01 F550 that was in a shop fire. The compressor housing, accessory brackets, and a/c compressor are severely deformed. The front cover, oil reservoir, and valve covers are not deformed. The injector connectors are melted away, but the solenoids are intact. I pulled the glow plug and injector from #2. The glow plug (a Beru) is nearly pristine and works great. the injector came out loaded with engine oil, and all o-rings and seals intact. There was still oil in the oil pan (which is now all over my shop floor- ugh) I don't know anything about the engine's condition or history prior to the fire, but based on the admittedly sketchy description, and not withstanding any prior damage, you guys have any thoughts on how much of this motor (block, heads, crank, pistons, etc) might have survived? Bear in mind I have no thoughts of trying to set it up and run it as-is. At minimum, I should think rings, bearings, gaskets, and a good cleaning.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im no expert, but i agree with you. If you do what you mention i think you will be good to go. Other than any harnesses/plugs that may have melted away, i would think everything else would be fine. Others im sure will chime in also.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If it was in a fire, I would assume that most of the rubber seals that are kind of important are going to be compromised. The front cover may look fine, but what about the o-ring gasket behind it?

Pull the pan and pull the heads and take a closer look at things. If it were me, I'd just order a rebuild kit for it. Or build it up to be a higher HP motor as a project that you can drop in your truck down the road.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM
falconwrench
Freshman User
Yeah, Chris, I figured at a minimum it would need to be torn down, wash out good, and a good set of rings, bearing, and gaskets. Obviously all the sensors and actuators and a rebuild and set of solenoids on the shooters. I guess what I'm most concerned about is whether or not the major components (crank, block, heads, pistons, cam, etc) might be useable without a lot of remachining. on the face of it, all that twisted aluminum looks like a trip through hell, but then there's all that engine oil still in it. Makes me think maybe the heat didn't penetrate all that deep. Maybe a short-lived fire?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup... rings, bearings, seals, new freeze plugs..
Maybe a new oil cooler depending on how long the fire was burning...
Truck fires are crazy hot... let alone a shop fire with a truck in it catching fire.
Alternator/s, starter, did the power steering pump survive at all?
Isnt there a seal inside the water pump ?

If your going that deep into it tho... im sure you will find any issues that may arise...

Take your Alternator/s and starter up to napa and get them tested... they usually do it for free. Heck i think most parts houses do it.

Pictures... you gotta show us this motor that took a drive through west hell...

Xtof

Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM
falconwrench
Freshman User
I'll try to get some pics up later if I can figure out how. All the accessories are either gone or roasted. If I end up needing the motor, I'll just transfer the accessories off the one in the truck. Just changed the WP. Saw a kit somewhere for $1400 that looked to have rings, bearings, gaskets, and pistons. Kinda hopin the pistons are ok, though. Hadn't thought about the freeze plugs or cooler. I'm sure it'll at least need O-rings.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay sells overhaul kits

Riffraff Diesel: Ford Overhaul Kit

Old 09-16-2012, 11:08 AM
landmobile
Senior User
Aluminum accessories will melt away in a fire rather quickly, whereas cast iron usually cracks (especially if hit with cold water from a fire hose). As long as the block and heads aren't cracked I agree with everyone else that the engine is probably rebuildable.

Chris

Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
falconwrench
Freshman User
Ok. I was mostly worried about warping, hadn't thought about cracking. Maybe a good job for the A&P students up the road. They usually have to learn how to magnaflux during the section on NDT. PICs coming when I can.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM
falconwrench
Freshman User
Don't give up on me guys! The week's gone nuts with my wife's gas burner. I promise I'll get pics of this poor thing up.