Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

'86 F250 power window issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:08 PM
mozzles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'86 F250 power window issues

Hey guys just bought an '86 F250 6.9 diesel XLT Lariat a couple weeks ago, the passenger window doesn't do anything at all when the button is pushed, and the drivers side up until today the arm would move, but the glass window wasn't stuck to it, if that makes sense. The window would stay up if you took the door panel off and put it on top of the arm, but once you tried to roll it down the whole pane would fall down into the door.

Now today I went to roll the window up, since last night I accidentally hit the button and it fell into the door, and the arm got stuck in the all the way up position. This is especially bad because I can't get the window pane on there with it all the way up, needs to go down just a bit, so now I'm worried about my stereo and anything else getting stolen.

Anyone have experience with messing with these things? I found a thread that had pictures of how to repair the motor, not sure if that is what I'm going to have to end up doing or not. As far as the window pane, how does it attach to the arm? Like I said I could get it to set on there, but once you go to roll it down it just stops supporting the window.

Thanks,

Zac

Old 09-15-2012, 02:35 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First thing to do is pick up a test light at any tool or auto parts place. You need to see what is getting power, and what isn't, they're like $2.
If the passenger side isn't working from either of the switches, you're most likely looking at the motor being bad. They aren't at all hard to replace (or rebuild).

Either way, it sounds like you need to get those door panels off so you can see what's going on in there.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM
airdale94
Tuned
It could be the motor or the switch on the pass. side. If neither switch works for the pass. side it's probably the motor. Don't know the speciffics to your truck but Ford used to use plastic rollers that bolted to the window. When they break the window won't stay in the channel.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM
mozzles
Senior User
Already took the panel off, can't figure out how to get to the motor or arm since it's on the other side of a sheet of metal. I'll take your advice and get a test light, been meaning to pick one up for awhile now.

Just making sure it wasn't anything obvious that I was overlooking. This was the first time I had ever personally messed with the window, but previous owner had it down and then showed me how to roll it up. Can't believe the first time I try it the motor stops working, that's why I thought maybe it was something else.

Zac

Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM
86f250XLT-4x4
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have issues with mine all the time... i think my motors need rebuilt though... if i put mine all the way up... where there is pressure against the glass its a pain to get them to go back down

Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM
mozzles
Senior User
Well what do you know, I went out to mess with it again and the motors work now. Got the window back up, but I'm still not able to roll it down or else the whole thing will fall. Is the window supposed to be attached somehow to the arm or does it just rest on there?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mozzles, It sounds like you lost the plastic glide that holds the arm in the window. If your motor arm has just a steel ball looking nub on the end of it, you are missing a part. There should be a white square plastic glide on the end of it. Look in the bottom of the door. Unfortunately I don't think there is a replacement. You might need to replace the entire mechanism unless you can Macgyver something. Look at the arm in your other door to see what I am talking about. I don't know the 86, but most of Fords power windows of that era were the same. They rivet the whole mechanism to the door, the easiest way to deal with it is to drill out the rivet heads or grind them off, and remove the mechanism. then bolt the new one back in.

Good luck,

Mac.