1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Awd binding noise during sharp turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Ford monster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U had to change both of the cv joint axles?? How did u know they were both bad??? Been having a problem with my 99 expedition awd turning both ways binding up real bad almost doesn't want to move then POP changed front u- joints cuz there were bad nothin changed fr left cv joint nothin I'm stumped!! It's drivin me insane need it fixed but don't know where to go from here!! Can someone help me plz!!!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
joshm121
New User
Just saying thanks

Hey guys, just picked up a 1999 Expedition AWD having the binding problem. I've been scouring the internet for the fix and was getting pretty worried. Just wanted to say, I pulled the 104 fuse, and it worked like a charm. Thanks guys! Now I've got a little time to get the bugs worked out.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Six8
New User
Originally Posted by joshm121
Hey guys, just picked up a 1999 Expedition AWD having the binding problem. I've been scouring the internet for the fix and was getting pretty worried. Just wanted to say, I pulled the 104 fuse, and it worked like a charm. Thanks guys! Now I've got a little time to get the bugs worked out.
Same here but went to pull mine and fuse 104 is already gone lol. I'm having binding as well.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Six8
Same here but went to pull mine and fuse 104 is already gone lol. I'm having binding as well.
Do you have a limited slip differential? They should be serviced every 30k and when they aren't the clutches start to bind.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Six8
New User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Do you have a limited slip differential? They should be serviced every 30k and when they aren't the clutches start to bind.
Not sure? Just bought it this morning. I did throw a fuse in and the 4wd works now. Seems like there's less binding now too

Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Six8
Could also mean that the front end is out of alignment.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:37 PM
4wdlincoln
New User
Hey Everyone, This post just helped me out big time, Thanks for all of the info Alloro. I just purchased a 99awd Navigator w/113,000 miles on it and this was the problem that it had when i purchased it. I joined ford-trucks.com lastnight and this morning pulled the #104 fuse and the truck is driving and turns like it is NOT locked in 4wd. I will be replacing the speed sensors within the next week.

Thanks, Chuck

Old 04-03-2016, 12:30 AM
2001NaviA4WD
New User
About 1.5yrs ago I had an emmediate drop in MPG in my Navi. Dropped about 3mpg, and I have been trying to solve it ever since. Now I am here! I have an 01 Navi with A4WD, 4H, 4L. All instrument lights show as if it is working correctly in and out of A4WD & 4H, and I can here it engage when going in and out of 4L. But I do not think it is ever actually coming out of 4H. In A4WD, the front wheels slip/skip when doing a slow tight turn on slightly wet asphalt, or on any dirt/gravel. I've had my front driver side axle (by the tire) make a loud popping noise when turning tight on dirt getting onto the throttle twice over 2 years (so loud that I got out expecting to see something laying on the ground under it). The sunroof leaks when there is a downpoor and it runs down the posts, which has always scared me about electrical issues. And when I've had it in the shop off the ground, all 4 wheels were turning at the same speed while in A4WD. My rear axle started shuttering last spring, and we put in an auburn locker rear end (limited Slip), we did not change the ratio. But the problem was present before that was done. I also think I am in need of new driver side balljoints, as I can hear a clicking from that corner when making slow speed manuevers. I bought the ride with aftermarket wheels on it. 20" rims, I put on new Toyo A/T tires and had them get me sized as close to stock hieght as possible, but still eneded up almost .25" off. Is it possible for it to be stuck in 4H? How do I check it? How do I fix it? Hope that is enough information to get somewhere with this..

Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 PM
2001NaviA4WD
New User
Originally Posted by 2001NaviA4WD
About 1.5yrs ago I had an emmediate drop in MPG in my Navi. Dropped about 3mpg, and I have been trying to solve it ever since. Now I am here! I have an 01 Navi with A4WD, 4H, 4L. All instrument lights show as if it is working correctly in and out of A4WD & 4H, and I can here it engage when going in and out of 4L. But I do not think it is ever actually coming out of 4H. In A4WD, the front wheels slip/skip when doing a slow tight turn on slightly wet asphalt, or on any dirt/gravel. I've had my front driver side axle (by the tire) make a loud popping noise when turning tight on dirt getting onto the throttle twice over 2 years (so loud that I got out expecting to see something laying on the ground under it). The sunroof leaks when there is a downpoor and it runs down the posts, which has always scared me about electrical issues. And when I've had it in the shop off the ground, all 4 wheels were turning at the same speed while in A4WD. My rear axle started shuttering last spring, and we put in an auburn locker rear end (limited Slip), we did not change the ratio. But the problem was present before that was done. I also think I am in need of new driver side balljoints, as I can hear a clicking from that corner when making slow speed manuevers. I bought the ride with aftermarket wheels on it. 20" rims, I put on new Toyo A/T tires and had them get me sized as close to stock hieght as possible, but still eneded up almost .25" off. Is it possible for it to be stuck in 4H? How do I check it? How do I fix it? Hope that is enough information to get somewhere with this..
Hi Guys, I wanted to give you guys the update on my 01 Navi. See original post above.

Shortly after I posted on here my ABS dash light started coming on also. I took it to the dealer later in April to get the code read, and they told me to replace my speed sensors. After replacing all of the speed sensors I still had the ABS light on, and rather than paying the dealer more money to chase the problem, I decided to go to my regular mechanic (the old timer that we all know through someone) in May. He reads the code, speed sensor code again, then he walks to all 4 wheels and pulls and prys on them with a breaker bar. He follows that up with asking me if I'm hearing any noise from that front right side that I mentioned in my original post, "Yeah I have actually" I told him. To the point, the front driver side CV joint and bearing were going out, which was causing the ABS light to come on and the speed sensor to misread, which was also causing my ride to go in and out of 4WD. I had both sides on the front replaced (Whole assembly: bearings, sensors, cv joints), and I am now rolling smooth again in all situations. I got back a little over 1mpg with that, but I followed that up with new coils and plugs which got me back another 2.5,pg, so I'm back to a bearable 15.8hwympg avg.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:44 PM
mackgoodman
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
In that case the shift motor and the front clutch are okay. The most likely culprit is the speed sensor on the front of the t-case. The lack of a signal from the front sensor gives the A4WD module the impression that the front axle is stationary while the rear one is not.
Alloro, I really appreciate how much you know about these vehicles! I was wondering where this speed sensor is? I have a 2002 expedition awd. Is there a step by step anywhere on how to replace it? thanks so much.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:42 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by mackgoodman
I was wondering where this speed sensor is? I have a 2002 expedition awd.
For 2003 I think they did away with the sensors on the transfer case and instead tied the AWD system to the ABS system thereby using the ASB wheel speed sensors.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:57 AM
mackgoodman
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
For 2003 I think they did away with the sensors on the transfer case and instead tied the AWD system to the ABS system thereby using the ASB wheel speed sensors.
but mine is a 2002? After more research I think it is on the front transfer case near the top? does that sound right?

Old 08-23-2020, 02:31 AM
1stgunny86
New User
Originally Posted by 4wdlincoln
Hey Everyone, This post just helped me out big time, Thanks for all of the info Alloro. I just purchased a 99awd Navigator w/113,000 miles on it and this was the problem that it had when i purchased it. I joined ford-trucks.com lastnight and this morning pulled the #104 fuse and the truck is driving and turns like it is NOT locked in 4wd. I will be replacing the speed sensors within the next week.

Thanks, Chuck
Did you ever end up replacing your speed sensors and did that remedy the problem was having the same issue in my 00 and I pulled the 104 fuse and The binding stopped now I need to know if it is my speed sensors or not

Old 08-24-2020, 03:09 PM
Tacoswamper
New User
I'm running into the same issue with my hall effect sensors and I just figured it all out. If i were you I'd skip all the complicated diagnostics and STOP throwing parts at it hoping it fixes the issue.

What you SHOULD do is get a bluetooth code reader on amazon and pair it with your phone. Download FORScan in the app store and have it scan your Ford. FORScan is designed specifically for Ford vehicles and it will talk to ALL of the computer modules in your car and identify the problem, not just your ECU. When i did this it immediately told me what was wrong based on the DTCs stored in the PCM. If there's a problem with either of your hall sensors, then your cars computer already knows about it and will tell you. This method will not work with Torque or other OBD2 programs. Don't blow money on parts you might not actually need, scan your cars computer modules properly and it will tell you what's wrong.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:25 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Tacoswamper
scan your cars computer modules properly and it will tell you what's wrong.
But that takes all the fun and skill out of diagnosing it yourself.

Quick Reply: Awd binding noise during sharp turns