no oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
no oil pressure?

Well, after putting my 292 back together a few years ago, I finally decided to try and get it running. It's not all that easy since, I had no gas tank or fuel lines, not to mention wiring. Anyway, as I was checking it all out, I found that no oil was making it up to the rocker arms. When it was rebuilt by a reputable shop, I had them put in the cam bearings. After talking with them, I pulled the rocker arms off and blew compressed air thru the oil passages. The passenger side seems to be blocked, but I was able to get oil coming up the drivers side when I spin the pump with my drill. I am kind of stumped now, and I really don't want to disassemble the engine to check the cam bearing alignment. Does anyone have a suggestion or has anyone experienced this problem before? The strange thing is, the shop manual states that the No.3 bearing is the one that supplys oil to the rockers, but the passenger side is supplied by No. 2 bearing. I assume that all the bearings have an oil hole in them, right?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
If the block is unaltered, both rocker shafts are supplied by the #3 cam bearing.
If #2 feeds the passenger side, the block has been altered some how.

Were the passages cleaned while it was apart? If not, pull the head and make sure the passage in the head and in the block is clear. If they are, then the bearing is probably installed incorrectly and you need to take it apart to confirm and correct the problem.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Thanks for your response. I don't think it has been altered, and I can't imagine why that would be. Aren't both heads the same? So when you flip it around to the other side, the supply hole is #2 on one side and #3 on the other side. Or is it not a straight shot to the cam? Does the lube hole snake around the block or something. I really paid no attention to that kind a detail when reassembling the engine. The machine shop, hot tanked it and bored it out, so I would hope it was clean. I've had lots of work done by these guys and never had a problem.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:07 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
It's not a straight shot. There is a groove on the deck surface of the head that directs the oil from the passage in the block.

Another thing to check is that the rocker assemblies are assembled correctly. The shafts can be installed in the wrong orientation and block the flow of oil.

While the shop tends to do good work, even the best mess up. Don't assume, if it comes down to it, you're going to have to take it apart.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
I have the rockers off, so it's nothing to do with that. If one side works, the problem might be under the head, if it is grooved like you say. I guess that would be easier than pulling the cam out to check things. It really makes me wonder about the whole thing, because one of the rocker arm shafts was scored pretty bad, before the rebuild. So maybe it was oil starved before With what you have told me, it makes me feel like the problem is not with the cam bearing.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Shafts that are scored before a rebuild really aren't a red flag. These engines did have some minor top end oiling issues and it is not uncommon to find bad shafts. But after a rebuild, and with modern oils these issues are usually a thing of the past. There are simple operations that can be performed to ensure no future problems.
Do you know if the cam is grooved or cross drilled on the third journal?

Old 09-15-2012, 04:55 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I might be wrong. I think I have read some where that the cams are cross drilled and and the holes would need to line up before oil pumps up to the rockers. So if the engine is not turning the oil would be blocked if the holes cam are not lined up. It may be worth a try to run the oil pump primer and turn over the engine very slowly and see if you get oil to the rockers.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:15 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Good advice. A gearhead friend of mine suggested the same and that is not giving me any results either. A different friend suggested that there may be a problem with the head gasket not being punched out or maybe the incorrect gasket. That would be easier to check out than pulling the cam, and because I am getting zero airflow when I try to push 100 psi through the port in the head, that seems like a possibility. Probably try that on Sunday or Monday. The machine shop suggested trying to let it run for a few minutes to see if it will push oil through, but I really don't like that idea

Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
If you make sure to thoroughly oil it, running for a few minutes won't hurt a thing.
However, if 100psi of air pressure did nothing, then I doubt the oil pressure will. And you've already turned the pump with your drill. If it's going to get to the top, it's going to get to the top and it hasn't. Time to take things apart to see what is happening.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM
ALL AMERICAN BOY
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unibody

look through the technical part and

assembly tips here:

FORD Y

i'll add there might be something about

a hollow holdown bolt, but don't quote me.

have a nice day!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 PM
ALL AMERICAN BOY
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unibody

the oil passage from the cam bearing

to the block deck is straight.

the oil passage from the head surface

to the rocker shaft pedestal is straight.

catch is they are 1" apart from each other.

theres a teardrop shaped cavity on head

surface for oil to crossover.

have a nice day!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ALL AMERICAN BOY
unibody

look through the technical part and

assembly tips here:

FORD Y

i'll add there might be something about

a hollow holdown bolt, but don't quote me.

have a nice day!
The link was very informative. Thanks. I pulled the head off, everything is fine there. Still no oil from the port. I will try to see if there is sludge or if I need to go deeper into it. What a nuisance!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
I don't think the hole is big enough but you can try shining a light down there. If you can see to the bottom, the bearing, or cam journal should be shiny. If that doesn't work, cut a piece of coat hanger, sand or file the end so it is not sharp and poke around gently.
And if you have not already, make sure the head gasket is not blocking the hole for some reason.
Did you see the groove on the bottom of the head?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
I don't think the hole is big enough but you can try shining a light down there. If you can see to the bottom, the bearing, or cam journal should be shiny. If that doesn't work, cut a piece of coat hanger, sand or file the end so it is not sharp and poke around gently.
And if you have not already, make sure the head gasket is not blocking the hole for some reason.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by charliemccraney
I stuck a plastic tie wrap in the hole and there is definitely some crude in there, but I don't know how bad it is. I will try the hanger trick. And yes the head gasket was in right and groove is in the head. Looks like it should flow when it makes that far. I read on the y-blocks site, that the cam bearing may have turned due to improper fit. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers.

Quick Reply: no oil pressure?