Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Postmaster

Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Looking for someone/someplace to do body work

My cab corners on my truck are rusted out and my lower front passenger door on the inside needs replaced. I can get all the body panels needed but I lack the skill to cut and weld these peices in place. I'm trying to find a individual to do the body work or a reasonably priced body shop. Anyone have some recommendations? I don't even need the welds grinded as I can do that and paint is not a problem since I will be doing the bottom of the truck in bedliner. I have champagne taste but beer money to spend at the moment and every body shop around here wants way to much or won't even touch it.

Red Head Steering gear box installation
Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to behold
You might want to do a little research on this subject as the body shop that I go to no longer weld in patches. There is a new method and the panels get "glued" on. I thought they were crazy the first time but as it turns out it is the authorized way for many auto manufactures for repairs.

One thing is for sure doing it this way you get no warpage and this might be a beer money repair doing it yourself.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Postmaster

Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
I heard of this but wasn't sure if this was a real way to do it. Sounds like it might be a better way to go. I'll have do to do some Googling on it now.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Posting Guru

bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would have to look at what you need done.Im not a pro but I might be able to do some cutting and welding for you.I have done cab corners on a few of my trucks pretty easy if there is body lines around the area being repaired.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Shiftoholic

Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.
I know a youngster working at a local bodyshop that deals in new car repairs. Yup, they are gluing this stuff together. Welding screws with the integrity of the surrounding metal(crumble zones).

Though you will have to make sure you get ALL the rust out and seal existing metal or it will just rust the panel off in one piece in a few years.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach View Post
I would have to look at what you need done.Im not a pro but I might be able to do some cutting and welding for you.I have done cab corners on a few of my trucks pretty easy if there is body lines around the area being repaired.
Thanks a bunch for the offer! I'll keep that in mind but I'm thinking of doing an adhesive now after doing some research. I think I'll give that a shot. I can't screw it up much more that it is.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
I know a youngster working at a local bodyshop that deals in new car repairs. Yup, they are gluing this stuff together. Welding screws with the integrity of the surrounding metal(crumble zones).

Though you will have to make sure you get ALL the rust out and seal existing metal or it will just rust the panel off in one piece in a few years.
I'll probably cut the bad parts out POR-15 everything but the area to be glued and then glue in the new pieces. I hope that will hold it back for another twelve years.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 AM

Maxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputation
Any update Mike? I used to work in a body shop a few moons ago

2003 F-350 Reg Cab 6.0L
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Postmaster

Well I haven't had much time and I was dumb and started down the road without considering the weather! This is about as far as I got.

Name:  2012-10-01_10-48-17_834.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  85.4 KB

Since this pic I got the corner all cut out but I screwed up and didn't realize it would have been best to get the inner cab corner cut out as well before gluing the lower front corner in like I did. I could probably get it if I took the bed off but if I take my bed off I want to clean and POR-15 the bottom of it and the frame. My garage is just to small to get a project like this done and the weather is now going cold so I'll probably just glue the cab corner on and forget about replacing the inner corner. Come next spring I'll pull the bed and do everything else I wanted to.

I need a bigger garage!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
I am from Ohio, and I know this hack, er, guy up near Lake Erie......
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter