Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Senior User

John & Old Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spring leaf bushing replacement.

I am in the process of replacing the badly warned (front and rear) leaf spring bushings on my 1949 F6, and would like to know if there is anything in particular that I need to lookout for. The tires are all removed, so I have uninterrupted access. Does this process require a skilled person.
Whilst I am doing this, I would also like to remove the springs and have them sandblasted for a new paint job, maybe powdercoated.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Just be mindful of any tension on the springs, loaded or unloaded. Have good jack stands. Just went and looked at the pictures. Guess I don't need to suggest good jack stands.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.

So, how is this PC stuff working out for you, America?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
I love that picture.
Now about the jack stands....don't you want those on the frame if you are going to remove the leaf springs? Remove a bushing and you lose your support.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I love that picture.
Now about the jack stands....don't you want those on the frame if you are going to remove the leaf springs? Remove a bushing and you lose your support.
That is what I thought; i need to move the jacks to the frame, because they are currently placed on the axle.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I love that picture.
I have more photos.

Pictures by 1949-F6 - Photobucket
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Junior User

malatious is starting off with a positive reputation.
The bushings are pretty easy. I used a socket and hammer to tap the old ones out. Used my vise to push the new ones in. Depending on the bushings, you may need to run a reamer through them to get them to the correct size. The last set I bought fit perfect, but the set before were slightly to small. there has been some discussion about to paint or not to paint the springs. the paint will keep the springs from sliding like they should. You could use spring liners, then painting or powder coating should not be a problem.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
Paint the springs, it won't hurt anything (new springs from almost all manufactures come painted), the paint will wear off where it rubs and the rest will keep them from rusting and looking like crap.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used a big G clamp to press the new bushes in, I found it easier than trying to get the spring to the vise. Mine all needed at least some reaming to make a nice snug fit on the pins, pressing the bushed in deforms them slightly. Grease them before putting the weight back on the wheels, the grease will circulate all around the pin much easier.

I'd use a wire brush on a grinder to clean the springs up, sandblasting will leave a pitted finish that might effect the springs ability to slide.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy View Post
I'd use a wire brush on a grinder to clean the springs up...
That is what I did and it worked great.

Just remember to wear at least a dust mask because you don't want to breath all that rust-dust.

Also, the individual leaves will probably show some wear from where they rode against each other all those years. I recommend using a grinder to smooth the ends, which will make them slide against each other easier.

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Posting Guru

fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.
fixnair
I was advised by a spring shop to not sandblast my springs. The said just wire brush them. I inserted delrin liners between each leaf for a smoother ride.

need thermostat housing & cab 4 project
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Posting Guru

3golfjack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.3golfjack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's how I removed my rear bushings. I used a large c-clamp with a flat plate put the new ones in.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

1956 F100 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ld-photos.html
1996 Ranger- daily driver
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Freshman User

Firepower flyer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would not powder coat them it's to brittle the coating will crack,I say just paint them.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM
New User

Flathead Sarge is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought about powder coating mine too, but didn't due to that same concern, not being flexible enough to give when the springs move.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Junior User

NormH is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my '56 F100, I was told not to paint the spring surface where there is contact. I took the brackets and bushing to a spring shop. They worked like hell to machine the bushing to fit right. I'm glad I didn't try it myself.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Senior User

Spring leaf bushing replacement

Thanks to all for your comments, they have been very useful and helped with the learning process. Hopefully I will soon have some new photos of the restoration process.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks