1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Spring leaf bushing replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM
John & Old Ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring leaf bushing replacement.

I am in the process of replacing the badly warned (front and rear) leaf spring bushings on my 1949 F6, and would like to know if there is anything in particular that I need to lookout for. The tires are all removed, so I have uninterrupted access. Does this process require a skilled person.
Whilst I am doing this, I would also like to remove the springs and have them sandblasted for a new paint job, maybe powdercoated.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Just be mindful of any tension on the springs, loaded or unloaded. Have good jack stands. Just went and looked at the pictures. Guess I don't need to suggest good jack stands.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
I love that picture.
Now about the jack stands....don't you want those on the frame if you are going to remove the leaf springs? Remove a bushing and you lose your support.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
John & Old Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
I love that picture.
Now about the jack stands....don't you want those on the frame if you are going to remove the leaf springs? Remove a bushing and you lose your support.
That is what I thought; i need to move the jacks to the frame, because they are currently placed on the axle.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 PM
John & Old Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
I love that picture.
I have more photos.

Pictures by 1949-F6 - Photobucket

Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 PM
malatious
Junior User
The bushings are pretty easy. I used a socket and hammer to tap the old ones out. Used my vise to push the new ones in. Depending on the bushings, you may need to run a reamer through them to get them to the correct size. The last set I bought fit perfect, but the set before were slightly to small. there has been some discussion about to paint or not to paint the springs. the paint will keep the springs from sliding like they should. You could use spring liners, then painting or powder coating should not be a problem.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Paint the springs, it won't hurt anything (new springs from almost all manufactures come painted), the paint will wear off where it rubs and the rest will keep them from rusting and looking like crap.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
I used a big G clamp to press the new bushes in, I found it easier than trying to get the spring to the vise. Mine all needed at least some reaming to make a nice snug fit on the pins, pressing the bushed in deforms them slightly. Grease them before putting the weight back on the wheels, the grease will circulate all around the pin much easier.

I'd use a wire brush on a grinder to clean the springs up, sandblasting will leave a pitted finish that might effect the springs ability to slide.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy
I'd use a wire brush on a grinder to clean the springs up...
That is what I did and it worked great.

Just remember to wear at least a dust mask because you don't want to breath all that rust-dust.

Also, the individual leaves will probably show some wear from where they rode against each other all those years. I recommend using a grinder to smooth the ends, which will make them slide against each other easier.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was advised by a spring shop to not sandblast my springs. The said just wire brush them. I inserted delrin liners between each leaf for a smoother ride.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's how I removed my rear bushings. I used a large c-clamp with a flat plate put the new ones in.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User
I would not powder coat them it's to brittle the coating will crack,I say just paint them.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Flathead Sarge
New User
I thought about powder coating mine too, but didn't due to that same concern, not being flexible enough to give when the springs move.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
NormH
Junior User
On my '56 F100, I was told not to paint the spring surface where there is contact. I took the brackets and bushing to a spring shop. They worked like hell to machine the bushing to fit right. I'm glad I didn't try it myself.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM
John & Old Ford
Senior User
Spring leaf bushing replacement

Thanks to all for your comments, they have been very useful and helped with the learning process. Hopefully I will soon have some new photos of the restoration process.

Quick Reply: Spring leaf bushing replacement.