1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F3 - Good deal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
3LakesWI
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 Ford F3 - Good deal or not?

I'm looking at picking up a 1951 Ford F3 complete with original 8' box and flathead engine. Has some cab and front fender rust, but not horrible. Engine is stuck, but 100% complete and original from the air cleaner to the pan. It also comes with a complete super clean 1952 cab with nice front fenders, grill, pans, seat, etc. Guy is looking to get $1,950 for the whole package including both trucks. Does this sound like a fair price? Thanks for any help. Hoping to move on this today.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
3LakesWI
New User
Photos of truck(s)

[br/][br/]

Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM
3LakesWI
New User
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Hello 3Lakes!

On the face, the price isn't out of line, but a couple of thoughts:
What are you planning to do affects where you can afford to start.
Planning for the engine to be recoverable is hopeful, but not likely. You should consider that to be a source for some parts, maybe - or just scrap.

This is realistically a $1200-1500 collection depending on the condition of the fenders and running boards - especially if the seller is also Up North.

DW

Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM
3LakesWI
New User
Thank you.

The trucks are out of the Dakotas. I was hoping the engine might be freeable, but not optimistic. It has modern rims on it that I'd ditch either way. Looks like I can grab the whole lot for $1,800. I appreciate your input. I'm new to the Fords from this vintage and am finding them really hard to come by up in this neck of the woods.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I posted earlier, but I guess it didn't take.

I'd bring a trailer and cash. Offer $1200 and try to get it at $1500. The wheels were replaced because the originals were widowmakers. If you're not familiar with widowmaker wheels, then Google the term. If you're wanting stock looking wheels, then you'll need to locate a set of later wheels. Stu (truckdog...) is our resident wheel expert that can provide more info on the wheels.

F2-F6 front fenders are a bit harder to sell because most are looking for F1 fenders, which are slightly different. However, if the fenders are in decent shape, they will sell. You can use the best parts from both on your truck and then sell the leftovers.

Keep in mind that the F3 is a classified as a heavy duty 3/4 ton. Certain body and mechanical parts are specific to the F2/F3 models.

It might be best to tell us your plans with it and we can advise you whethere it's feasible or easy to do.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM
3LakesWI
New User
The plan

The plan is to make one decent driver out of the two trucks. Not looking to do anything other than a mechanical restore. No body work in the plans. In fact I'd probably spray the body as is in clearcoat and run it "rat rod" style so to speak. If I can't get the original flathead to turn I'd have to do an engine swap and would like to hear options on that if anyone knows what's best. I'm not in love with the idea that it's an F3 either, but I haven't been able to find a clean F1. I didn't notice if that extra '52 cab was an F1 or F2/3 cab. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
You mean you'll run it "original patina" style and not "rat rod" style. Rat rods are cobbled up vehicles from different parts and makes.

The cabs are all the same F1-F8, excluding COE. The only difference in the body between F1 and F2-F3 are the front upper/lower fenders, rear fenders, running boards and bed assembly. The cab, hood, grille, upper latch panel, lower valance panel, inner fenders are all the same. The front upper/lower fenders are the same between F2-F6.

If you can get both for $1500, you'll be fine.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM
3LakesWI
New User
Yes, original patina style. Didn't know that was a term. No rats here. I've been on him on price already and it seems $1,800 is the number. They were for sale up in the $2,500 range and he dropped them to $1,950 – obviously because nobody was buying. Given how hard the 51/52's are to come by in halfway decent shape up here in the rust belt I don't think I'd lose them over $300 but my plan was to push for $1,500 and seed if it would fly when cash is in hand. He's an old rodder and has lots of stuff and knows the market. He says he's got more than $1,950 in them. I'm sure hoping I can free that old flathead. If not, what's a good engine swap? Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Your biggest negotiation point is that they're not F1s. For another $1k-1500, you should be able to find a decent F1. Isn't that what you really want? Don't just buy this truck just because it's there. Buy one that you will like and enjoy.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 AM
3LakesWI
New User
I'm not tied to F1, F2 or F3. I'm just looking for a nice clean 51/52. Thanks for the advice and help.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Have you looked any of these:

1950 Ford F1

Ilya, are those F2-6 front fenders?

1950 Ford F1 PU Project
This would save you a fair amount of mechanical work - it is a 50

► 1949 Ford F1 Panel truck Flathead V8
If you are inclined to consider an overpriced, rusty panel closer to home

http://up.craigslist.org/cto/3231443718.html

DW

Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 PM
3LakesWI
New User
Thanks for sending these along. I saw that one in the UP and the one in MN without a title. I didn't really want to spend time on the title though and I'm not sure how hard it is here to get a new one. I never saw that '50, not sure how I missed it. I really like the 51/52 toothy grill better though.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Location effects a great deal of what is a good price. I've seen a truck just like the one I bought go for ten times as much in Texas. All about where you are, or what it costs to get it home from where you are.

Personally I think they are fantastic looking trucks. I think anything larger than the 1/2 tons seems to be over looked for no real reason. Yeah, the F3 will have a COUPLE of parts be different, but it will just look like a slightly beefier F1. And all the parts that are unique to it, which aren't a lot, aren't in demand so you can get them much cheaper. I think more than anything people want the name, F1, F100, cause the difference is so minor most of the time. And to be honest I think the long beds look better, they are wider and taller, it makes for a beefier looking truck.

Personally I think they are both great looking trucks. You could build one and sell the other and make most of your money back, or at least the difference of what you want to spend. They have fantastic patinas to them, you could lightly hand wax it and call it done if you want.

As far as the engine goes, if it can't be fixed, you could swap it out with another one easily enough. Fair amount of them out there from people who have swapped them out for something else. But who knows, I've seen some stories on here where people have had flatheads filled with water for decades and they still got it to turn over after cleaning it out. All depends.

These old trucks are out there, but harder to find than other things. To me it looks like a pretty decent deal. Both trucks are great looking, you should be able to make something you're really happy with easy enough, and then you have other parts you can trade or sell to get what you need. You could probably get another engine for a pair of fenders with the right guy. Just depends on if they need what you have.

If you love them, if you got a clean title, if it's what you really want, go for it. If it feels a little off, if something bothers you about it, then wait and something else will come along. It took me almost a year to find my truck, it's worth the search if something makes you unhappy about it. From what you want to use it for, they look like a great place to start. The more complete the better, and you'll have extra parts to trade or sell or keep for a new project.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM
3LakesWI
New User
Wow, many thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted on what I do. Your thoughts echo mine in a lot of respects. I'd love to just throw some way or a clearcoat over those 60 year old paint jobs (or lack of) and call it good. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford F3 - Good deal or not?