6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

IRPs high flow coolant filter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM
speedtrapp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRPs high flow coolant filter opinions

Im looking for a coolant filter system and came upon the IPR unit. What do you guys think of it, I like the way it moves a lot of coolant off the manifold through the filter and it has a clean look. It is plumbed into the coolant loop affording more volume of coolant being sent into the filter. I know it's a little pricey but so is major engine work.. Opinions ?

Thanks tommy

Old 10-09-2012, 04:05 PM
daddykitty
Elder User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...il-cooler.html

That has something in it you might want to read

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
speedtrapp
Junior User
I'm not sold on there oil cooler but the coolant filter looks good IMO

Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM
daddykitty
Elder User
I was thinking about it also but IF i get the coolant filter i would have to get another replacement filter to keep in the ex....whos to say it will clog in the middle of nowhere and no way to clean it

Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
speedtrapp
Junior User
Originally Posted by daddykitty
I was thinking about it also but IF i get the coolant filter i would have to get another replacement filter to keep in the ex....whos to say it will clog in the middle of nowhere and no way to clean it

That is a excellent point, in a Pinch I wonder if you could just remove it until you had the faculties to square it away, I am waiting for Blade35 and bismic to chime in on what they think..

Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 PM
daddykitty
Elder User
you couldn't remove it if was a full flow...bypass type, yes just turn it off but full flow would kill your engine quickly

Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
If it's a removable element I would think you can remove that and
put the cover back on and run that way.
IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Ford 6.0
Sean

Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
you couldn't remove it if was a full flow...bypass type, yes just turn it off but full flow would kill your engine quickly
Even if it stops up, the heater hose is still a bypass in itself, so if you're putting the filter in a bypass line (according to the instructions) it doesn't matter. You're not effecting the cooling system of the vehicle. The stopped up coolant filter would act exactly as the heater shutoff valve in the heater hose and the coolant would just go around. It states that in their product description.

The ONLY advantage I see to this is that it has a magnet with a washable strainer. "Full flow" would be easily achieveable for a MUCH cheaper price.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a full flow bypass filter run inline with the heater core. If it plugs up, all it will do is take away heat coming into the cab. It will not affect the performance or cooling functions for the engine/oil cooler etc... (I had asked Vince about this already). As for changing/cleaning the filter..... it's a bit messier than on the other bypass kits as it is full flow they do not like to use shut-off valves (as used in smaller hose sized kits on the market now) as they restrict some of the flow. They recommend draining about a gallon of coolant, cleaning the filter and re-installing the drained coolant. To me, this sounds like a pain in the a$$ and I will be using some vice grips hose clamps to pinch off both sides before I clean the filter out.

I also believe their Oil Relocation Kit needs work and I would not recommend it at this time. I have however ordered their Gen II EGR Delete Kit and the High Flow Coolant Filter. I ordered it like 2 weeks ago so the suckers should be here in the next few days hopefully...... takes so friggin long to get anything into Canada!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 AM
daddykitty
Elder User
i was under the impression that iprs coolant filter will let you know when it needs to be serviced when it gets to the 15 degree delta...how does that bypass..maybe i need to see a plumbing diagram on that one to understand it better

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was under the impression that iprs coolant filter will let you know when it needs to be serviced when it gets to the 15 degree delta...how does that bypass..maybe i need to see a plumbing diagram on that one to understand it better
You can run it in 2 ways...... If you buy their oil cooler relocation kit.... you can run it in front of the oil cooler (preventing plugging up the oil cooler)

or

You can run it with your heater core lines..... no damage to the engines cooling system this way. Just blows cold air in the cab if it gets plugged up. This will be the method I am going with.