Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Junior User

evilwunn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Traction control / Tire size

Once in a while when I take a corner my traction control activates and the light will come on. The tires aren't slipping, and it usually happens the first time I drive it for the day, then it won't happen again for weeks. The dealer checked it out this morning and said that because I have 275/65/18's on it instead of the 255/70/18's it came with, the traction control is getting a false signal and activating. He said that they tried to adjust the tire size with their computer but couldn't go to the size I have. He suggested that maybe adjusting the air pressure down a little in the tires might help.
Does anyone know if someone makes a programmer that will allow me to adjust for the tires I have? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Senior User

RI-Matt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe both the Hypertech and Superchips programmers have adjustments to allow for different tire sizes.

Matt
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI-Matt View Post
I believe both the Hypertech and Superchips programmers have adjustments to allow for different tire sizes.

Matt
I checked those out online, it says it will recalibrate the speedometer and odometer for the tire size. Do you think doing that might help with the traction control?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior User

RI-Matt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would think so. Ford probably has the traction control all figured out based on the stock diameter tire and any deviation from that may mess up the calculations.

Just think if you get the programmer not only can you adjust for the tires but you can pull a few more HP out of it. Win win.

Matt
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Senior User

johnkn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd take it to another dealer. There are always varations between manufactures even on the same tire size. BTW, TireRack.com shows Michelin 255x70x18 and 275x65x18 having the exact same 32.1" diameter. Sounds like they had no clue what the real issue is and tried to blame in on the tires.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkn View Post
I'd take it to another dealer. There are always varations between manufactures even on the same tire size. BTW, TireRack.com shows Michelin 255x70x18 and 275x65x18 having the exact same 32.1" diameter. Sounds like they had no clue what the real issue is and tried to blame in on the tires.
I saw that same thing online, the only difference is with the width of the tire, and the sidewalls are stiffer than the stock tires. I have been to two dealerships already and I am getting the same answer. I did drop the pressure down a few lbs. and so far no issues with the traction control activating. (knock on wood) I guess I'm just going to have to see what happens.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator