2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve train noise change at 60K

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Valve train noise change at 60K

noticed more noise suddenly at 63000 miles. used to be quiet all the time even at start up. now it clatters like loose rockers or lifters. the only change was adding Lucas to the last oil change. I have changed the oil and it seems to have quieted down some. has anyone had trouble with using heavier oil than recommended? I have never run the 5-20 in it. always 10-30.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Hi Guy,

Well like you have probably decided as well, Lusac is not something I would use in an engine....there is probably some residual in there right now and with your next oil change it should come out. I'm assuming you have a modular engine, regarding the use of heavier oil, well, I would not recommend that either as the hydraulic tensionors, etc really need the thinner oil to function properly & the 0-20 oil actually has the same viscosity properties as 5-30w of years past. Perhaps do another oil change to get rid of any possible residual, new filter as well and I would recommend adding 1/3 bottle of ZDDP (9 oz iirr) which should help on numerous fronts without creating any issue for the cats.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
Lucas ???

i worked at an oil change place and Lucas is the number one additive used. I have seen trucks with 400K with lucas used. I suspected the stuff is a little thick for the newer vehicles. I may have proved that. Thanks for the tip. I am trying to find what ZDDP is now. Bob

Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder
i worked at an oil change place and Lucas is the number one additive used. I have seen trucks with 400K with lucas used. I suspected the stuff is a little thick for the newer vehicles. I may have proved that. Thanks for the tip. I am trying to find what ZDDP is now. Bob
ZDDP is "zinc"....long story short, zinc levels have been reduced in the oils from 1800 ppm (high side) to 800 ppm (or less). Because I have both modular & old school engines (including a flathead still in the family), I spoke with Ron Iskenderian (Iskenderian Racing Cams) about the reduced zinc issue and valvetrain issues. In the mod engines, he recommended adding about 1/3 of a bottle as this would help avoid possible wear issues on start-up and possibly help (lubrication wise) with the hydraulic cam chain tensioners.

Yeah, lube oil change places use a lot of products that, well, don't really serve the best purpose...more of marketing than anything else. Not to re-direct the thread, but there is a tune-up chain that promotes fuel injection service/cleaning as part of routine maintenance. Now i am not going to say that this is a procedure for which there is no need, but, the fuel injectors that have been mfg for the last 10 years (approx), every mfg has a written directive not to perform injector cleaning as part of the maintenance 9or even repair) procedure because of potential damage to the injector and the unnecessary cost. Recently (last year) Jiffy Lube (corporate owned & operated stores in the Los Angeles area) were nailed for the second time by both news agencies and bureau of automotive repairs for fraudulently (in writing) advising people to perform services on both american & imports that the mfg's stated in writing "do not perform"....the local shop mgrs & techs were just following what the computer told them to do...so to speak.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
Fixed part of it!!!

Changed the idler pulley on passenger side. It was wobbling. Got rid of the knocking sound. Still have what sounds like loose lifters. I am going to go back to 5w20 next change and see if that helps. There are two idlers so I changed the other one also. The bearing was tight on that one also.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Modular motors need the 5w-20 viscosity & a MotorCraft fl-820-S Filter period! 10w-30 is like giving your engine crack & expecting it to function properly!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Beechkid
Changed the idler pulley on passenger side. It was wobbling. Got rid of the knocking sound. Still have what sounds like loose lifters. I am going to go back to 5w20 next change and see if that helps. There are two idlers so I changed the other one also. The bearing was tight on that one also.
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
still have loose rockers or lifters!!!

Changed to 5-20 oil and still sounds like 6 or 8 loose lifters. when you rev it up they get louder. can I have damaged them with the Lucas additive? Is there a problem with the cams on 4.6 engine flattening?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Changed to 5-20 oil and still sounds like 6 or 8 loose lifters. when you rev it up they get louder. can I have damaged them with the Lucas additive? Is there a problem with the cams on 4.6 engine flattening?
If you have been using 10W-30 for the life of the motor & not the 5w-20 which is recommeded, the damage is probably already done! Good luck....

Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

This website is run by Ford techs.Go there and ask your question.

FlatRateTech | Automotive Technicians and Mechanics Community

Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
For Real !!!

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
If you have been using 10W-30 for the life of the motor & not the 5w-20 which is recommeded, the damage is probably already done! Good luck....
Do you think 10-30 will damage an engine? I hope you don't run a shop.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Exclamation

Do you think 10-30 will damage an engine? I hope you don't run a shop.
Yes,it can,in a way. Did you go to that FORD tech site and ask your q? there?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
contacted Lucas

Lucas says for vehicles that use lower viscosity oils they have a full synthetic that works better then the regular one. Nice to know that now! I never had a sound till I put the Lucas in the motor. I have to assume it gummed up the works.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
No

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Yes,it can,in a way. Did you go to that FORD tech site and ask your q? there?
I went to sight but could not get on the forums. do they charge for advice?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Thumbs up

I went to sight but could not get on the forums. do they charge for advice?
No.All you have to do is register.

FORD - FlatRateTech

Quick Reply: Valve train noise change at 60K