2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve train noise change at 60K

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder
Do you think 10-30 will damage an engine? I hope you don't run a shop.
No but I am an assiatant fleet manager for a Police Dept & am responsible for keeping the fleet of Ford Police Interceptors running smoothly! Nothing but Ford Motor Co recommended 5W-20 goes into the Modular 5.4 & 4.6 V8's! That is not rocket science! Some of the older vehicles are pushing 200K miles with out a hiccup! The engineers at Ford advise 5W-20 viscosity & a MotorCraft FL-820-S Filters because it is critical for proper cam Phaser operation, & getting oil to the upper portion of the OHC Modular V8 upon cold start up!.....

Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Kongfish
New User
Your problem is this.
When that motor was redesigned, they failed to enlarge the oil galleries on the motor. The outcome page after page of destroyed engines from people running oil in them that in 90% of other motors would be fine. But the only oil thin enough to get the upper end lubed is 5w-20w with only a motorcraft, wix, or napa gold series filter. They have a anti-backflow valve that holds oil in the valve train. Any other filter won't hold oil in the valve train the motor is a proven workhorse, but, the ford engineers have done a real number on it.
I used Lucas in every car i ever owned till this Ford F–150. Run some engine flush, do an oil and filter change and hope for the best. I have read it will sometimes quit down after two or three oil changes if you haven't clogged the lifters to bad. Just google Ford F-150 engine noise. Then join the various forums and you like I found out, there is page after page of what I just told you.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kongfish
Your problem is this.
When that motor was redesigned, they failed to enlarge the oil galleries on the motor. The outcome page after page of destroyed engines from people running oil in them that in 90% of other motors would be fine. But the only oil thin enough to get the upper end lubed is 5w-20w with only a motorcraft, wix, or napa gold series filter. They have a anti-backflow valve that holds oil in the valve train. Any other filter won't hold oil in the valve train the motor is a proven workhorse, but, the ford engineers have done a real number on it.
I used Lucas in every car i ever owned till this Ford F–150. Run some engine flush, do an oil and filter change and hope for the best. I have read it will sometimes quit down after two or three oil changes if you haven't clogged the lifters to bad. Just google Ford F-150 engine noise. Then join the various forums and you like I found out, there is page after page of what I just told you.
At least you are polite in your reply. As I said, no problem till the Lucas was added. The pulleys were the noise till I fixed them.I just put a new muffler on and reduced the engine drone then I noticed the lifters clicking. Since the oil change I have added some detergent additive and it is calming down now. The engine runs like a Swiss match. No vibration or miss at all. When I worked at a lube express, most Ford trucks used 10-30 and they all sounded good. I still think the Lucas clogged the engine. Thanks, Bob

Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

At least you are polite in your reply. As I said, no problem till the Lucas was added. The pulleys were the noise till I fixed them.I just put a new muffler on and reduced the engine drone then I noticed the lifters clicking. Since the oil change I have added some detergent additive and it is calming down now. The engine runs like a Swiss match. No vibration or miss at all. When I worked at a lube express, most Ford trucks used 10-30 and they all sounded good. I still think the Lucas clogged the engine. Thanks, Bob
Bob, I have built a lot of SBC engines (30 or so).I can't say I know a lot about the Ford modular engine but I do know a little bit.I do know that these engines are specified to use 5W20 for a reason.First,CAFE reasons,and second,as Kongfish stated,to get that oil to the top end quicker along with the proper oil filter.
Also,I don't believe in using "snake oils" in an engine.IMO,I think by using a 10W30 oil in conjunction with the Lucas product, this might have caused these noises you are hearing. Again,as Kongfish suggested,flush the engine.I would flush it with a Kerosene and oil solution and use cheap oil and filters before going with my running oil and filter.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:07 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
I've read numerous tech articles in Fleet manager publications insisting on using 5W-20 in the Ford Modular Motors with the proper oil filter & what will happen if you don't. I have to laugh when people think that they know more about the motor that a Ford Engineer designed.....LOL

Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Kongfish
New User
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
I've read numerous tech articles in Fleet manager publications insisting on using 5W-20 in the Ford Modular Motors with the proper oil filter & what will happen if you don't. I have to laugh when people think that they know more about the motor that a Ford Engineer designed.....LOL
I know" ain't that so messed up"that some people say the craziest things. I made sure that before i told him about the oil galleries being to small, i checked my sources. i read my info from the service bulletin Ford designers released after having several hundred thousand 5.4 motors pop, lock, & drop. The ford designers also released a warranty extension and would only honer the extended warranty if the owners had changed from the 10w-40w to the 5w-20w
Those crazy people, they must e reding the YUGO manual.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
This website is run by Ford techs.Go there and ask your question.

FlatRateTech | Automotive Technicians and Mechanics Community
Wow, Flat Rate Tech is still going strong, eh? I remember when that guy first started that forum because he was pissed about the book charges changing for Ford mechanics.

I wonder if my log-on still works.

Stewart

Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Bob The Builder
Freshman User
Thanks for all the help guys! All of you except one were polite and didn't try to make me look stupid. I have been working on cars and motorcycles for over 40 years now and in the "old" days oil wasn't such a problem. It seems Ford should be more adamant about the oil used. My Prius book says "do not use anything but 5W30 or you may damage the engine. Thanks again, Bob The Builder

Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
My Prius book says "do not use anything but 5W30 or you may damage the engine. Thanks again, Bob The Builder
What? Wait a minute....you're a Prius owner????

Welcome to FTE, Bob.

Stewart