7 pin elec connector add on for '00 F250SD?? 4X4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



7 pin elec connector add on for '00 F250SD?? 4X4

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
JetFuelBurner JetFuelBurner is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 65
JetFuelBurner is starting off with a positive reputation.
7 pin elec connector add on for '00 F250SD?? 4X4

So we've got a new to us travel trailer. The wifes truck is a 2010 Expy 4X4 with the HD tow package. It has the 7 pin plug already installed. I didn't realize it but that plug also provides power to the campers power converter which in turn re-charges the camper batts while connected. Very cool!

There will be times that we tow with my pickup. I know for certain it does not have the 7 pin plug. All I have is a cheezy 4 pin plug spliced in for brake lights and the like.

Questions:

Is it possible to install one of the round 7 pin plugs onto my rig?

If yes, how big a job is it? What all is involved?

If yes, should I let a mechanic do it? I'm not too much of a mechanic and less still an electrician.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
BPofMD's Avatar
BPofMD BPofMD is online now
Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Millersville, MD
Posts: 36,298
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
If you tackle it look here for the connector diagram - http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/59...g-diagram.html

Then take a look thru the tips folder for LOTS of info......
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM
BeerCan500 BeerCan500 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ft. Worth
Posts: 218
BeerCan500 is starting off with a positive reputation.
7 pin plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner View Post
So we've got a new to us travel trailer. The wifes truck is a 2010 Expy 4X4 with the HD tow package. It has the 7 pin plug already installed. I didn't realize it but that plug also provides power to the campers power converter which in turn re-charges the camper batts while connected. Very cool!

There will be times that we tow with my pickup. I know for certain it does not have the 7 pin plug. All I have is a cheezy 4 pin plug spliced in for brake lights and the like.

Questions:

Is it possible to install one of the round 7 pin plugs onto my rig?

If yes, how big a job is it? What all is involved?

If yes, should I let a mechanic do it? I'm not too much of a mechanic and less still an electrician.

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes it is possible...just adding some wires and plug...if you add the charging wire from your truck to the TT, you will need to wire it up thru a battery isolator, or at least you should.

2. It can be a big job if you've never done it before, but really not all that hard or complicated...You can do it...just ask many q's, and read up on it, or maybe find a friend who can help. That will save you lots of money.

3. Welcome to the towing & wiring world...Like I said, you should learn all about it so if you run into probs you can troubleshoot & fix...

Good Luck! Take your time, and double check yourself if needed.

BeerCan500
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
sspikaroo sspikaroo is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: eastern Montana
Posts: 41
sspikaroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
For what it's worth, I originally installed one of those ubiquitous plastic 7 pin sockets on a metal L bracket on my '99 F250. I drive on gravel & offroad a certain amount and found that that plastic socket started breaking up within a year from brush, gravel, & whatever. I then hunted around until I found an all metallic version of the 7 pin socket and installed that in basically the same spot. That was a couple of years ago and so far I've been completely satisfied with it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Rovernut's Avatar
Rovernut Rovernut is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 964
Rovernut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rovernut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspikaroo View Post
For what it's worth, I originally installed one of those ubiquitous plastic 7 pin sockets on a metal L bracket on my '99 F250. I drive on gravel & offroad a certain amount and found that that plastic socket started breaking up within a year from brush, gravel, & whatever. I then hunted around until I found an all metallic version of the 7 pin socket and installed that in basically the same spot. That was a couple of years ago and so far I've been completely satisfied with it. Just my 2 cents worth.
My experience as well. I broke two of the plastic hoppy blade sockets and said screw this and coverted to a Cole Hersee round 7-pin setup. All metal.
About to install the same thing in the bumper of the '85 F-250 I just bought. I cut a hole in the face of the bumper with a hole saw so it's away from the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 AM
FarmingF250's Avatar
FarmingF250 FarmingF250 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 324
FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner View Post
So we've got a new to us travel trailer. The wifes truck is a 2010 Expy 4X4 with the HD tow package. It has the 7 pin plug already installed. I didn't realize it but that plug also provides power to the campers power converter which in turn re-charges the camper batts while connected. Very cool!

There will be times that we tow with my pickup. I know for certain it does not have the 7 pin plug. All I have is a cheezy 4 pin plug spliced in for brake lights and the like.

Questions:

Is it possible to install one of the round 7 pin plugs onto my rig?

If yes, how big a job is it? What all is involved?

If yes, should I let a mechanic do it? I'm not too much of a mechanic and less still an electrician.

Thanks in advance!
There should be a wiring harness up near the spare tire on the frame rail with the the wires there. Need on plug the 7 pin pigtail into it and put two fuses under the hood for the brake and 12V charge.

Theoretically 100% plug and play. Brake wire harness plug is there under the dash. My 2000 F250 was already wired when I got it, but I did have to put a new 7 way on the back and learned a little about the system while doing that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Otahyoni's Avatar
Otahyoni Otahyoni is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,665
Otahyoni has a good reputation on FTE.Otahyoni has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovernut View Post
My experience as well. I broke two of the plastic hoppy blade sockets and said screw this and coverted to a Cole Hersee round 7-pin setup. All metal.
About to install the same thing in the bumper of the '85 F-250 I just bought. I cut a hole in the face of the bumper with a hole saw so it's away from the ground.
While this would work very well, you either have to carry an adapter, or it will only work with trailers you've converted.

Were can you find metal 7-blade (RV) sockets?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
shorebird's Avatar
shorebird shorebird is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Beach, Ms.
Posts: 11,533
shorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputation
This is the set up you need to convert the '00 F-250 wiring to the 7 pin ;
Ford Replacement OEM Tow Package Wiring Harness, 7-Way (Super Duty) Tow Ready Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 118243
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 PM
sspikaroo sspikaroo is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: eastern Montana
Posts: 41
sspikaroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otahyoni View Post
While this would work very well, you either have to carry an adapter, or it will only work with trailers you've converted.

Were can you find metal 7-blade (RV) sockets?
I found my metal version 7 pin RV socket at an RV dealership. Don't know how common they are though, I never see them at the local hardware stores.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Rovernut's Avatar
Rovernut Rovernut is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 964
Rovernut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rovernut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otahyoni View Post
While this would work very well, you either have to carry an adapter, or it will only work with trailers you've converted.

Were can you find metal 7-blade (RV) sockets?
This is true, but I only tow my own trailer so it's not an issue. If I happen to rent a u-haul or the like, I also have a 4-way connector.
I've never really understood why the RV industry didn't standardize on the better 7-way round split pin design.

Here's what appears to be a metal one, though the description is somewhat vague, so it might be chromed plastic.
RV boat 7 way Truck & Trailer plug METAL with BRACKET | eBay

It says the brand is Pollak, but I couldn't find it on their web site, but I didn't spend much time looking.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM
sspikaroo sspikaroo is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: eastern Montana
Posts: 41
sspikaroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
My metal socket is a Jos Pollak 12-700 and looks nearly identical to the unit displayed in Rovernut's EBay link.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM
sspikaroo sspikaroo is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: eastern Montana
Posts: 41
sspikaroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspikaroo View Post
My metal socket is a Jos Pollak 12-700 and looks nearly identical to the unit displayed in Rovernut's EBay link.
Also I see it listed on etrailer and they have an excellent close up pic.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 pin (for truck camper) problem solving F350GK 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 13 07-12-2016 07:54 PM
92 F-150 Trailer wiring issues HHCIB 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 0 10-04-2015 02:48 PM
No Power to Trailer Plug - 2003 Kongerup 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 15 07-02-2015 11:22 AM
Aux power on 7-pin trailer connector talonpilot 2009 - 2014 F150 7 02-19-2014 08:24 PM
2004 trailer wiring problem ws6gta 2004 - 2008 F150 10 07-08-2008 11:47 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordģ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.