Sponsored by: Moser

Cannot make up my mind!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot make up my mind!

I weighed my 26fsak toy hauler and it will weigh 10K all filled up and ready for camping. I've been to the dealer driven an ecoboost f150 and a super duty f250 6.2. I actually prefer the f150 since it offers better empty mpgs and a better ride. BUT, I noticed on the max tow I was considering that the tires were P rated? Can I can tow 10K on the type tires with a max tow eco boost? Will the F150 hold the road well with my size hauler behind it??

THe f250 is of course a bigger and heavier truck and the 6.2 seemed quite sluggish with the 3.73 gears. It has the larger cab and all but it will use more gas empty as my daily driver. Decisions decisions!?!?!?!? WHatever truck I buy will be my main daily driver truck....

Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated!! I only tow about 3 times per year and for 120-350 miles. The ecoboost motor seem like it will tow more easily and with less effort than the 6.2. THe F250 seems like it would handle the weight much better though?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you've answered your own question. 2-3 times a year for 2-300 miles isn't enough to justify the larger truck in my opinion. The difference in towing capacity (on paper) is only 700#'s difference between the two trucks, comparing XLT/crew's 4x4 6.5/6.8' box. I went through the same decision in 2011, ended up with the Ecoboost. Thought a couple times about returning and buying the 6.2 SD, but upon test drive, decided it wasn't the truck for me.

Good luck with your decision, I'd think you would be happiest with the ecoboost!!

On edit, looking through the specs again, the F150 weighs 5716lbs, while the F250 weighs 6787...combined with the torque of the ecoboost being a little higher, (15lbft) and at way less rpm...again...lol...good luck with your decision.

Wonder what the difference would be hooking similarly equipped F150-Ecoboost and F250-6.2 to a load of say 9-10k and towing over the same terrain? Might have to find someone around me with one to test against...

Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 96sherm
I think you've answered your own question. 2-3 times a year for 2-300 miles isn't enough to justify the larger truck in my opinion. The difference in towing capacity (on paper) is only 700#'s difference between the two trucks, comparing XLT/crew's 4x4 6.5/6.8' box. I went through the same decision in 2011, ended up with the Ecoboost. Thought a couple times about returning and buying the 6.2 SD, but upon test drive, decided it wasn't the truck for me.

Good luck with your decision, I'd think you would be happiest with the ecoboost!!

On edit, looking through the specs again, the F150 weighs 5716lbs, while the F250 weighs 6787...combined with the torque of the ecoboost being a little higher, (15lbft) and at way less rpm...again...lol...good luck with your decision.

Wonder what the difference would be hooking similarly equipped F150-Ecoboost and F250-6.2 to a load of say 9-10k and towing over the same terrain? Might have to find someone around me with one to test against...
What about the P-metric tires will they really hold up to 11K tow rating? That has me a little concerned...

Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you will be fine with the ecoboost. I towed 8k over 4k miles with a 5.0 this past summer. It for sure had its work cut out for it but I would not hesitate to pull that a shorter mileage like you are talking about. I think I spent about half of that mileage in the 3k to 5k rpm range, but it sounds good with the muffler delete! Some of those 4k miles made me wish I had a 3/4 PSD but that was a one time thing.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 96sherm

I think the ecoboost would out-tow the 6.2 simply based on power and torque to weight ratio. I know the ecoboost will have the power, it's just if the truck is comfortable to tow 10K with with or if I'll be white knuckiling it???

Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I really know your dilemma...I have had thoughts just as you have but mine was between the 6.7 PSD and the F150 ecoboost. That 6.7 has tons of power and would probably rip a tree truck out of the ground! After thinking about it long and hard I decided I really didn't NEED the 6.7...it was more of an intoxicating desire for it. Realistically I am looking at the F150 ecoboost since I only tow a 3200 lb. boat currently.

I have to agree with 96Sherm.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
The really important question to ask here is what the tongue weight of that trailer will be as towed. I think the empty tongue weight is over 1K lbs - so loaded it could be quite a bit more. That could get you over the rating of the hitch. In any case, the HD payload package probably would be a good idea.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Well just returned from the SORRY Sanderson Ford dealer! I say sorry because their valuation of my trade in was truly insulting!! My 2006 2500HD Suburban 8.1 with leather, mint condition, 60K miles and they offered me $10K? I told the guy that was a joke, KBB has it at $15K they weren't even in the neighborhood. What a joke! This is supposed to be the best dealer in Az as well? I had decided to do an XLT Max Tow Ecoboost 4x4 but the deal aint happening over my trade! I had been offered $12,500 sight unseen by another dealer 1 week ago!! They'll probably call tomorrow and offer more and I'm gonna tell them take a hike!! I do not play games like that! These guys at Sanderson Ford definitely burned a bridge tonight! I will NEVER set foot in that dealer again! What ever happened to the day when people shot straight and were fair and didn't waste my valuable time?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
15K was private sell or trade in? It is hard to go off KBB these days. You have to also think about how easy are they going to be able to sell a 10mpg highway Suburban? Not trying to start an argument but KBB is not even what they go by for trade in.

Originally Posted by scottman70
Well just returned from the SORRY Sanderson Ford dealer! I say sorry because their valuation of my trade in was truly insulting!! My 2006 2500HD Suburban 8.1 with leather, mint condition, 60K miles and they offered me $10K? I told the guy that was a joke, KBB has it at $15K they weren't even in the neighborhood. What a joke! This is supposed to be the best dealer in Az as well? I had decided to do an XLT Max Tow Ecoboost 4x4 but the deal aint happening over my trade! I had been offered $12,500 sight unseen by another dealer 1 week ago!! They'll probably call tomorrow and offer more and I'm gonna tell them take a hike!! I do not play games like that! These guys at Sanderson Ford definitely burned a bridge tonight! I will NEVER set foot in that dealer again! What ever happened to the day when people shot straight and were fair and didn't waste my valuable time?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Butl85
15K was private sell or trade in? It is hard to go off KBB these days. You have to also think about how easy are they going to be able to sell a 10mpg highway Suburban? Not trying to start an argument but KBB is not even what they go by for trade in.
$15K is trade in value. When I bought this Suburban it took me months to find one. They are very rare with the 8.1 in a 2500! One guy flew in from Oregon to Az and beat me to the punch on one! Look on ebay for an 06 you wont even find 1. There are currently zero of my 2006 Subs in Az even for sale right now with an 8.1. What Ive found is that these Subs are more rare and difficult to find than Ford Excursions. Mine is clean with low miles so I am expecting a fair amount not $10K. I'm pretty sure they could sell this Suburban pretty quickly from somewhere between $17-$20K......There are not many SUV's out there with low miles that can tow 12K anymore.... Cannot let it go for $10k, I'd be an idiot to do so! B T W, the 8.1 gets 11-12 mpg city 14mpg highway and 6.5-8.5mpg towing.

Retail:
Excellent
$19,915

Trade In:
Excellent
$15,175
Very Good
$14,875

Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
why not sell it yourself and go buy what you want with the cash?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I'd take 10K on trade if the new truck in question is discounted by $12K or more. With gas prices as they are, the 8.1L engine may be hurting your trade-in.

Flixden has an F-150 with the HD package and I was going to suggest that you simply order what you want and get the heavier package while doing it.

I'm not so sure about the P rated tires. This would have me concerned as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Dealer Trade-in values are all over the map. depending on the season, and which way the wind is blowing the dealer offer can vary by 50% or more. I've been offered above blue book value before, and also way below.
The ONLY way to determine a value for a vehicle is to sell it, otherwise it's all just guessing. If you can sell it for more, don't complain about a "bad" dealer, just post an advert and sell it yourself. Then you'll have lots of cash in your jeans when you walk into your Ford dealer to make a deal on a new truck.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have the dealer you purchase from change your tires to a LT tire, you might have to pay the difference, but it will be worth it. This is the first truck I've had that I swapped from the factory "P" tires to a "LT" not that long ago. I definitely notice the difference. I don't often tow near the capacity of the truck, but when I do it definitely feels more solid, less "squishy".

Hope you find a competent dealer and the truck you want!!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scottman70
You might take your Suburban to Carmax and see if they will make you an offer on it. I've heard where buyers took a better Carmax offer to their dealers and they reconsidered their lowball offer. At any rate, Carmax is usually not particularly generous unless it's something they can turn around quickly, so it would be independent confirmation as to whether Sanderson's offer was legitimate.

Quick Reply: Cannot make up my mind!