1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

swapping frame and chassis 67-57

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 05:15 PM
gdb32
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb swapping frame and chassis 67-57

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a chance to buy a 67 ford 4x4 with a 460 in it. It runs great. I love my 57 body style and was thinking I could take the cab and bed off the 67 and slap the 57's bed and cab on the 67 chassis.

To find out if it will work do you measure the length between the two axles and then the entire frame also? Is there anything else I need to be aware of. I have the 57 ford custom cab styleside long bed, and it looks like the 67 is also a long bed.

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

gdb32

Old 05-15-2003, 10:15 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two critical dimensions;

1. Track , front and rear - measure from center of tread on one tire to center of tread on the other tire. If the difference is slight, like an inch or so, you can overcome it with different backspacing on the wheels.

2. Wheelbase - measure from center of axle on front wheel to center of axle on rear wheel. If it isn't bang on, you can make some adjustments but it'll be expensive.

A frame swap is not for the feint (sp?) of heart though. There are all kinds of other issues -

i.e.

-Does the steering column need to be replaced because the new one is too short/too long?
-Does it end up coming through the firewall in the wrong place?
-New mounting holes for the cab to frame will be required.
-etc, etc.

Obviously similar swap have been done, but there will be a lot of trial and error involved.

Old 05-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by ferguson777
... A frame swap is not for the feint (sp?) of heart though.
"faint of heart". There. Now I'm one up on you agin.

Originally posted by ferguson777
There are all kinds of other issues - ...
Fergie has this one nailed. I'm learning that there are two words you never use when planning something on these old trucks - "just" and "only". As in:

1. Then you only have to narrow the rear axle and slap it back on.

2. Then you just replace the volare IFS with the Mustang II IFS.

3. "I could just take the cab and bed off the 67 and slap the 57's bed and cab on the 67 chassis."

I realize you didn't actually use the "J" word but it's sorta implied by the "slap" word.

Having now told you it's a lot of work, I craftily encourage you to actually do it so I can see the results. Bwaaa haaa haaa haaa

I'd really love to see you complete the switch. It's a great idea if you can make it work! You have to take and post pictures, though, or we'll come and find you!