1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pertronix installation on Flathead

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
I put a pertronix system in the 54, 279, 12V. The first one did not last very long, sent it back, They said it possibly failed for one of about 3 reasons. Anyway, the second one has been operating fine. However, my truck is not on the road. Still in build stage. But starts and runs well. Make sure all connections are tight. Mine may have failed because my main battery connection was loose on the Battery.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got the 12 volt negative ground one in my 52 customline . she's stock other than a rewire to 12 volt . the points constantly gave me fits for some reason in this flatty , not in my 53 effie , but in this old girl yep ! she gives me no guff starting , runs much better , and is much more dependable . she sits for long periods of time not being started or ran now that the weather has turned , but as soon as it picks up fuel it lights off ! now the flatty for the 53 effie is going completely aftermarket as it's going to be running a non stock carb on it ...........

Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
About $75 for the Pertronix at Amazon.com
Is this the one?

PerTronix 1281 Ignitor for Ford 8 Cylinder

by Pertronix
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (8 customer reviews) | Like 1356565807 false -1 0 0 0 (0)

<HR id=product-title-divider SIZE=1 noShade><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE class=product><TBODY><TR><TD class=priceBlockLabel>List Price:</TD><TD>$82.95</TD></TR><TR id=actualPriceRow><TD id=actualPriceLabel class=priceBlockLabelPrice>Price:</TD><TD id=actualPriceContent>$75.46 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details </TD></TR><TR style="DISPLAY: none" id=dealPriceRow><TD id=dealPriceLabel class=priceBlockLabel>Deal Price: </TD><TD id=dealPriceContent></TD></TR><TR id=youSaveRow class=youSavePriceRow><TD id=youSaveLabel class=priceBlockLabel>You Save:</TD><TD id=youSaveContent class=price>$7.49 (9%) </TD></TR><TR style="LINE-HEIGHT: 0px; HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="VISIBILITY: hidden"><TD style="VISIBILITY: hidden">o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Only 7 left in stock (more on the way).
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Want it delivered Friday, December 28? <INPUT name=promise-promised-shipoption.B000N2XOHQ value=next type=hidden> Order it in the next 17 hours and 52 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details
<INPUT name=promise-type value=1-click type=hidden> <INPUT name=promise-item.B000N2XOHQ value=1356753600 type=hidden> <INPUT name=promise-cutoff-time.B000N2XOHQ value=1356630300 type=hidden>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">8 new from $70.00 1 used from $57.52

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It doesn't say whether that is a 6v or 12v model.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I took a closer look at the Amazon ad and didn't see a reference to 6v or 12v.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
I'd be curious about if it would work for 6-volt.

I put an HEI system in a '65 Chevy inline six I had and the car sure ran a little better and started faster when cold. But that was a 12-volt system. My truck is a 226 six-cylinder with 6-volt.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
When I did mine, I call pertronix and talked with the tech. He was helpful on picking out the right one

Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
This info is for the 215 OHV engine only.

As per Pertronix tech, for the 6v pos ground system, Ignitor 1266P6 is needed. If you also need a coil, then it's #40011.

I bought a set on eBay from KMJ Performance, Ignitor Ignition Module Coil for Ford Inline 6 Cyl Holley Distributor 6V POS | eBay. It's cheaper than buying on Amazon by a few bucks. However, the auction link lists a # 45011 coil, which has different ohms. 40011 is 1.5 ohms and 12v. However, as long as the ohms are the same, the voltage doesn't matter. I contacted KMJ and they sold me a kit with the correct coil.
So I am in. I have the ignition system and coil you listed on the way. Both from KMJ for 113.00 total. Did you put any extra insulation over the wires in the distributor to protect them from the movement of the vacuum plate? I have been reading troubleshooting on these ignitors and most problems were where they pull the wires too tight and the vacuum plates rubbed the wires bare.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Carolina 52
So I am in. I have the ignition system and coil you listed on the way. Both from KMJ for 113.00 total. Did you put any extra insulation over the wires in the distributor to protect them from the movement of the vacuum plate? I have been reading troubleshooting on these ignitors and most problems were where they pull the wires too tight and the vacuum plates rubbed the wires bare.
No extra insulation on the wires. I didn't find any issues with the rubbing during my research. However, if something goes wrong with my set up later, I'll be sure to check the wires inside the distributor first.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Brian Cleary
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is a 1283 which is 6v pos ground flathead.

Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Is this the one?

PerTronix 1281 Ignitor for Ford 8 Cylinder

by Pertronix
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (8 customer reviews) | Like 1356565807 false -1 0 0 0 (0)

<HR id=product-title-divider SIZE=1 noShade><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE class=product><TBODY><TR><TD class=priceBlockLabel>List Price:</TD><TD>$82.95</TD></TR><TR id=actualPriceRow><TD id=actualPriceLabel class=priceBlockLabelPrice>Price:</TD><TD id=actualPriceContent>$75.46 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details </TD></TR><TR style="DISPLAY: none" id=dealPriceRow><TD id=dealPriceLabel class=priceBlockLabel>Deal Price: </TD><TD id=dealPriceContent></TD></TR><TR id=youSaveRow class=youSavePriceRow><TD id=youSaveLabel class=priceBlockLabel>You Save:</TD><TD id=youSaveContent class=price>$7.49 (9%) </TD></TR><TR style="LINE-HEIGHT: 0px; HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="VISIBILITY: hidden"><TD style="VISIBILITY: hidden">o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Only 7 left in stock (more on the way).
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Want it delivered Friday, December 28? <INPUT name=promise-promised-shipoption.B000N2XOHQ value=next type=hidden> Order it in the next 17 hours and 52 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details
<INPUT name=promise-type value=1-click type=hidden> <INPUT name=promise-item.B000N2XOHQ value=1356753600 type=hidden> <INPUT name=promise-cutoff-time.B000N2XOHQ value=1356630300 type=hidden>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">8 new from $70.00 1 used from $57.52

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
If any of you flathead V8 guys want to get rid of the lousy Loadamatic stock distributor and put one in that has centrifugal advance, check out Lindertech, aka GMCBubba. He offers converted Chevy distributors with either points or electronic. I have the points version on my flatty and it runs SOOOO much better than the stock one, I could not be happier. Drop it in and go......
And no I don't work for him, just a happy customer.

Link to Bubba's;

Our Services

Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
If any of you flathead V8 guys want to get rid of the lousy Loadamatic stock distributor and put one in that has centrifugal advance, check out Lindertech, aka GMCBubba. He offers converted Chevy distributors with either points or electronic. I have the points version on my flatty and it runs SOOOO much better than the stock one.
Jim Linderman at Bubbas is very knowledgable and a good source. The idea of mating a GM distributor top with the window to adjust the dwell to the Ford base is a good one except I found that the GM head which is much larger than the Ford has the problem of getting to the hold down bolt that occurs on GM products. This is almost impossible to reach when installed on a flathead. Even using the specially curved wrenches that I used on my Corvettes did not work on my flattie. The hold down bracket needs some rework too. I found the Pertronix installed into a Ford distributor a much better solution for me but then I like to fiddle with the timing. One should also make sure to check the vacuum advance as it probably has a ruptured diaphragm if it is original.

Jim does good work and can recondition your Ford distributor to look and work like new with a new vacuum advance, the right Pertronix unit installed and a new matching coil. For me that was a better solution . . . But maybe not for everyone?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by petemcl
Jim Linderman at Bubbas is very knowledgable and a good source. The idea of mating a GM distributor top with the window to adjust the dwell to the Ford base is a good one except I found that the GM head which is much larger than the Ford has the problem of getting to the hold down bolt that occurs on GM products. This is almost impossible to reach when installed on a flathead. Even using the specially curved wrenches that I used on my Corvettes did not work on my flattie. The hold down bracket needs some rework too. I found the Pertronix installed into a Ford distributor a much better solution for me but then I like to fiddle with the timing. One should also make sure to check the vacuum advance as it probably has a ruptured diaphragm if it is original.

Jim does good work and can recondition your Ford distributor to look and work like new with a new vacuum advance, the right Pertronix unit installed and a new matching coil. For me that was a better solution . . . But maybe not for everyone?
Pete I'm not sure which hold down bolt you are mean, mine is held down to the head by the stock Ford clamp. I did have to use an allen head bolt to clear the cap, but no other issues.
The big advantage of the chev distributor is the centrifugal advance. No matter what electronics you add to the stock one it is still held back by the vacuum controlled advance. IMO.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
Pete I'm not sure which hold down bolt you are mean, mine is held down to the head by the stock Ford clamp. I did have to use an allen head bolt to clear the cap, but no other issues.
The big advantage of the chev distributor is the centrifugal advance. No matter what electronics you add to the stock one it is still held back by the vacuum controlled advance. IMO.
Well I have been both ways (vacuum & straight centrifugal) on a lot of cars. You are right on Chevy 327/300s but IMHO I think that Henry's engineers did a pretty good job on the advance on the V-8 flattie with stock configuration.

I'm not sure what you have for a hold down but my late '50 produced F-2 has a hex head bolt and small bracket . . . (see illustration from Ford manual below). It just didn't fit right with the GM-head distributor that Jim sent which had a taller flange. I tried an allen head and that wasn't any easier.

The rebuilt distributor that he sent with a Pertronix was the best and the engine ran the best . . . but it is stock.

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by petemcl
but IMHO I think that Henry's engineers did a pretty good job on the advance on the V-8 flattie with stock configuration.
Well, as long as you are happy with it.......

Just thought I would offer up another choice........
Have fun!

Quick Reply: Pertronix installation on Flathead