1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What would be your ideal set up for a truck that will spend it's life in Fairbanks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:12 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What would be your ideal set up for a truck that will spend it's life in Fairbanks?

If you had a stock low mileage 7.3 auto trans 2003 F350 crew cab FX4, what would your ideal set up be for a truck that will spend it's life in Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay?

Would you rather have a short or long box?

Budget of around 5k for modifications or accessories (including tires), give or take...

Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Diesels in Alaska face problems we warmies wouldn't even contemplate. I think the mods just for fighting the intense cold would take a big bite out of that budget. I know that even with 4X4, you can only use so much HP gain on snow and ice, so more power wouldn't be high on the priority list. I would want something that keeps the oil, fuel, and coolant toasty warm.

Some info [LINK]

I know the pros use this one [LINK]

Some fuel-heating options [LINK]

Alternative to keeping the truck running when parked at the store or for long-term when power is not nearby [LINK]

I'd also contemplate a bigger fuel tank.

The bigger bed means a longer wheelbase - this is a very significant aid to road stability on "slickery" roads. I have driven everything imaginable on slick roads: Little cars, big cars, little trucks, big trucks, motorhomes, etc.... I've driven on dry snow, wet snow, deep snow, snow over ice, ice over snow, freezing fog, freezing rain, and the dreaded black ice. I say dreaded because the roads can be clear and dry, then you hit a patch of this stuff on a low spot in the shade and surprise! You've just thrown a gutter ball with 8000 pounds of steel, rubber, and glass. I have found the longer wheelbase has kept me out of trouble even better than 4X4. Honest! For black or wet ice, front-wheel drive is the king of control! Rear-wheel drive with a long wheelbase comes a distant second - but 4X4 is the worst thing you can do on wet ice (dry is case-by-case). Better acceleration is pointless without control, and the two drives aren't perfectly synchronized - so they duke it out for traction while you're dukin' it out with the wheel. Studded snow tires all around change the rules. My wife has a full set of studded snows mounted on rims and we just swap them in the snow season.

One rule has saved my skin countless times and I taught it to my kids: When things get weird and you're now "in it", neutral is your best friend. All the wheels stop pushing and you are now free to use the steering and braking as needed without any arguement from the drive system.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Kind of a small mod but there was a guy on here awhile back that was prepping some 550's for Alaska and the one thing I remember for some odd reason is they had door straps on the doors for the heavy wind not to tear the doors off.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,676 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I worked on an excursion that came from Fairbanks, he had in addition to the block heater, an oil pan heater, transmission pan heater, transfer case heater and if I remember correctly a heater on the rear axle.
all of these were wired to the front bumper for easy plugging
as for fuel gelling I believe most up there just run kerosene in the winter

Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and BIG external moose lights!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I lived there for 6 years and had two diesels. one short bed one long bed. I loved both trucks, love my short bed better. As far as mods, mine was stock the whole time except for a Super Chips at the time. I would have at least the stock block heater, an oil pan heater and also an oil pan heater on the trans. One thing people forget and i notice it in these posts, when the temps are extremely cold up there, the roads are not as slick as they are here in Wqashington during the winter, so i wouldnt worry about slick roads, IMO. Go to Alaska Tent and tarp and buy one of their winter grille covers, great product, i miss it on mine, but isnt necessary down here in Washington.

What are your goals for your truck as far as mods?

Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 90pioneer
If you had a stock low mileage 7.3 auto trans 2003 F350 crew cab FX4, what would your ideal set up be for a truck that will spend it's life in Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay?

Would you rather have a short or long box?

Budget of around 5k for modifications or accessories (including tires), give or take...

You already up there? do you ever see the Ice Road Truckers from the show??

Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could install a permanent tent around your truck complete with a kerosene heater to keep the contents inside the tent warm all the time. I don't think they sell this item at Harbor Freight though. LOL I am just suscribing and having fun.
Dwayne