Sponsored by:

X codes and B codes are in

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X codes and B codes are in

Well got the springs in, had a line on a slightly used set of X code springs but that fell through so now my 00' EX is sitting on new springs on all 4 corners. Ride is vastly better than the bumpstop bash I had before, nice solid truck now. My question is this, after checking on various surfaces I still have some factory rake, which I am ok with, the thing that my eye picks up on is the 1/2" difference from passenger side front to drivers side front, passenger side being taller. Will this eventually even out......I hope?

Pictures to follow as soon as it stops raining

Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
I just put X's on mine on Thursday and noticed the same thing. I hope it will level out. We'll see. I had an inch difference immediately after install, but settled to a half inch after 24 hours. But, could've been the ground it was sitting on when it was measured. Yesterday, while sitting in the bay at work, only a half difference.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I doubt if either one of yours will ever even out, you will just have to get used to it. They settled in, and it's done. You could add another short piece of spring on one side though. Just a scrap piece from a spring shop.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:17 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
After a full tank of fuel and all my stuff back in the truck, she sits about 1/2" low in the rear. Can't tell it by the naked eye. She's still a little high on the front right, but so far only I notice it. I will gladly take the way she looks and feels now. And she drives/rides remarkably better!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 930 Likes on 678 Posts
Give 'em about 10,000 miles and check again.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Give 'em about 10,000 miles and check again.
I plan on checking it frequently, but yes, thanks, I believe they will settle some contrary to what some on here think.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I plan on checking it frequently, but yes, thanks, I believe they will settle some contrary to what some on here think.
Nah, you have to adjust it if you want it level on both sides. Take it for a drive and hit some bumps and dips then come back and measure from the wheel wells. Whatever it is then will stay like that because both springs weren't made the same and they aren't going to magically fix themselves.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Originally Posted by EXv10
I doubt if either one of yours will ever even out, you will just have to get used to it. They settled in, and it's done. You could add another short piece of spring on one side though. Just a scrap piece from a spring shop.
I was actually already contemplating doing just that, was gonna use the G code slapper spring and cut off the thick end, theres my 1/2". That gives me the option that if they do settle from weight and the drivers side is now too high, I can pull that piece out.

Other thing I was thinking of doing was pulling the front spring packs out, taking them apart and swapping the bottom leaves from one side to the other, that might cancel out any difference, or make it worse.......

Factory rake front to rear I can deal with, side to side will drive me crazy. I build custom high end cabinets and my eye is trained for stuff like that

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Before

After

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Makes it look like a true 4WD doesn't it? Very nice. I love the look. Now I just have to fill up the fender wells on mine!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:08 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
I bought this truck in February and it has a set of 305's with alot of life left in them, so due to that and budget, tires are not on the list right now, will probably stay with a 305 in the future just step up to a 17" wheel. 17 is a good compromise of road stability and airing down for beach driving. I love this rig even more

Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
I was actually already contemplating doing just that, was gonna use the G code slapper spring and cut off the thick end, theres my 1/2". That gives me the option that if they do settle from weight and the drivers side is now too high, I can pull that piece out.

Other thing I was thinking of doing was pulling the front spring packs out, taking them apart and swapping the bottom leaves from one side to the other, that might cancel out any difference, or make it worse.......

Factory rake front to rear I can deal with, side to side will drive me crazy. I build custom high end cabinets and my eye is trained for stuff like that
I know what you mean by the trained eye, I built houses for 25 years. The switching leaves idea seems like a lot of work that might not pan out. I would just throw a piece of spring in there because I doubt very much if it is ever going to change. It's kind of like waiting for a new truck to get lower on one side.....it just doesn't happen.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great. What blocks did you use in the rear? Did you modify the B's, or use them as is?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MagKarl
Looks great. What blocks did you use in the rear? Did you modify the B's, or use them as is?
X codes up front, typical modded B's and stock EX block. Rides like a truck now, firm but not harsh, feels nimble instead of wallowing around.

Honestly, I think with x codes and the B's as is would have put my truck perfectly level unloaded

Thanks for the compliments, really got lucky when I was shopping for a rig to replace the one that was totalled by a transit bus, this one had only 82k miles on her when I bought it, paint is great condition, a few small stains in carpet under floor mats, 2 small dents one in each bumper, no big deal.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 AM
glebreton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need spring education

I have an 01 EXC 7.3L 4WD and hope to replace springs in near future. Read a little about them but need more info on the options out there. When I got it, it had lots of sway in turns and bottomed out way to easily. Replaced the shocks first day I got it and not much improvement. Added Timbren Suspension enhancement, but that was basically larger bump stops, so it helps on tows and softens bottom outs, but doesn't do much for unloaded ride. What are the spring options out there and what is best for me? I don't need a cadillac ride, and don't mind a "truck" ride. I do tow at times, a 5000lb boat and a 10000lb camper. Need some beef in the springs to give me stability when towing that heavy camper. Thanks

Quick Reply: X codes and B codes are in