Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Possible diesel convert

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible diesel convert

Hi all. This is a bit long winded, so please bare with me.

I've been poking around this site on and off for months/years.

I currently own a 2003 Dodge w/ 5.9L Cummins. I've owned it for about 9 years now and it has been a GREAT rig. It's never, ever left me stranded. I don't abuse it (I am very meticulous when it comes to vehicle maintenance), but I also don't baby it. I work the truck, like it was meant to be driven. It is a diesel afterall. We have a heavy slide-in truck camper and a ~2500# trailer of ATVs that the truck hauls in the warmer months. It was at first a daily driver, but I have a commuter car now, so it's on weekend duty now. It hauls my recreational equipment admirably, gets ~16mpg city driving, up to 19-20 on the highway, ~11-12mpg towing/hauling in the mountains around here.

When we bought the above rig, it was just the wife and I. Now we have 3 kids under 6 years of age. And now I want a full size crew -- for them. I also don't want to spend my retirement savings on a truck. So I've been looking at getting a F350 crewcab, longbed. Specifically, I've been looking at 1998-2002 with 7.3L diesel, or a V10.

7.3's...man, they are extremely hard to find anymore. Especially ones that haven't been worked very hard or abused. As for V10's, they're even more rare. I originally was only interested in 2005+ for the 3V + 5-speed auto combination. But there are just NONE of these that pop up for sale. I mean, I've been looking for about 3 years and there are just NONE of these trucks around my neck of the woods.

I recently came upon a 2002 F350 with V10 with 80k miles. This thing is immaculate. Two previous owners, and it's very obvious both owners took great care of this truck.

Now, I know I'm going to give up some low-end torque by switching from my Cummins to V10. And I also know I'm going to give up fuel mileage. But I'm gaining an engine that is known as being 'bulletproof' (save for the exhaust manifold broken bolts), is quite a bit easier/cheaper to maintain, and I'm gaining the full size crew. Which is was prompted this whole thing to begin with. Since it's a 2002, it's got the the PI engine/heads I think (right??) so a bit more torque/power. If I do pull the trigger on this one, I'm already planning on a new Y-pipe, maybe headers, and definitely a tune from 5-star to wake it up a little bit.

If there are any previous diesel owners on here who have converted to the V10, I would be greatly interested in hearing your advice, feedback, input, etc. This will be a truck I'll likely hang onto for the next 5-10 years. Is there something I should be specifically looking for, or avoiding? I'm just trying to gather all of the info and input I can in order to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 AM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im a previous cummins owner with a simlar V10 rig. First i'll say, the power is in a different place, i was afraid to wind it over3.5k on my initial camping trip, only to find that 4.5 isnt unusual on steeper grades. We'll try again in a week or so.

Rumor has it 430 gears are preferable, mine having373s, i couldnt argue, and would really like to test that theory. Same with headers, i tried leaving a banks catalog out and mentning they'd make a dandy xmas present . We'll see

Ive added a 5star tuner, and sure it seems to run better, but have yet to pull anything since getting it

All in all, i think you'll find The truck is a much nicer ride than your older dodge.

I'd add at 80k, you'll be due for some maintenance (plugs/boots, tranny service, and other misc) soon, maybe brakes, i'd plan on a few hundred on getting those things up to date

Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

May I ask what prompted you to go from Cummins to the V10?

Also, what kind of camping rig do you have? And what sort of mileage did you see with the V10 compared to your Cummins towing/hauling the camper?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 AM
tbax46
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I towed with a 2000 V-10 for 9 years and it is a very reliable engine. I couldn't find one either so I had to switch to a diesel. I went to a local speed shop and had my 3.73s changed to 4.30 and it made a great deal of difference towing up Rocky Mountain passes. Best thing to do on those is to put your foot to the floor and let the computer do the shifting.
I got 14 mpg when not towing and averaged 8.25 towing. By the way 4000 rpms is nothing for those engines.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Agreed to all the above. Don't afraid to wind it, don't look at the gas receipts and try to get 4.30 gears and you'll love the V10. My Dad had a 5.9 Cummins and and currently has a 6.7 Cummins and they have been great trucks. But I'll take my V10 any day of the week due to it's good power, reliability, cost of maintenance, initial cost and the ability to keep the engine running in the McDonald's drive-thru!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Amen to that! I always ALWAYS kill my truck in the drive-thru so I can hear what they're saying (doesn't help that I've shot more guns than I can shake a stick at over the years). Not having to do that all the time would be nice!

Then again...these trucks with the front leaf springs aren't exactly known for their tight turning radius. If I'm nervous about not being able to make the corners in the drive-thru with a CC/LB, I may not be going thru them much anymore, anyway!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
HAH! First off, my local fast food joint has a super-tight turn and my F250 crew cab does it, as long as you plan ahead and swing wide at the entrance. Secondly, if I do find one it can't make, driving up on their lawn is just fine by me. If they don't like it, make the damn turn more gradual next time!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by truckfella
Amen to that! I always ALWAYS kill my truck in the drive-thru so I can hear what they're saying (doesn't help that I've shot more guns than I can shake a stick at over the years). Not having to do that all the time would be nice!

Then again...these trucks with the front leaf springs aren't exactly known for their tight turning radius. If I'm nervous about not being able to make the corners in the drive-thru with a CC/LB, I may not be going thru them much anymore, anyway!
HEY !!!

i drive a CC/SB 03 (with leaf springs and big tires)..

and i can go throu every drivethrou ive encountered without scrubbing curbs or walls..

with that said, the turning radius is LARGE, hahaha

ps have you considered widening your search area for a 05+ V10 ??? if your shopping today you owe it to yourself to try to buy the newer 3V engine 5speed auto config. oh and try to find a 4:30 equipped truck

Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM
truckfella
Elder User
See my original post. I've been looking for an 05+ 3V for YEARS. I've found zero. They obviously didn't build many of them and/or they're a hot commodity.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey we have a 02 V10 Crew cab F250 4x4. Great truck I love it. In our profession we have to move mobile homes where the big movers can't get to. Or even tow huge loads of scrap. Now these mobile homes way alot of poundage in the 16000lbs or more range trust me now ours is set up 4.10 gear ratio stock tranny cooler which will change sooner or later. Auto tranny. Now we don't pull much more then 500ft but thats a load. I love the V10. When we got the double wide we have now we pulled it out so he can get to it and he said there is no way his cummins 3500 standard or would he do it with it do it. Now I am not saying cummins is a bad engine but the V10 is very powerful and we average pretty fair gas mileage. We get 15 highway. ours has 126000 miles we put only 3000 miles in the last year (we have quite a few trucks). No problems with it or the super cab we had before. Ours was only 1 owner and is in imaculant condition. Soon we will be taking this truck out the trade we have it in because we would like to keep it in good shape.
Trav

Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM
dusted4eva
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Agreed to all the above. Don't afraid to wind it, don't look at the gas receipts and try to get 4.30 gears and you'll love the V10. My Dad had a 5.9 Cummins and and currently has a 6.7 Cummins and they have been great trucks. But I'll take my V10 any day of the week due to it's good power, reliability, cost of maintenance, initial cost and the ability to keep the engine running in the McDonald's drive-thru!

I traded off my 7.3 for my 2009 V 10 , Not disappointed at all. Towing 9-10k lbs up steep grades and at 4000 rpms. Unstopable !!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DKF you recommended no lifted ones how come the last 04 F250 is slight lifted. Or am I wrong I could very well be but it looks lifted to me.
Trav

Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
DKF you recommended no lifted ones how come the last 04 F250 is slight lifted. Or am I wrong I could very well be but it looks lifted to me.
Trav
I threw it in there he might like a lifted truck. I just do not.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Thanks, I'll try the link.

Because of my heavy slide-in truck camper, I absolutely want F350. A quick search with your link didn't yield very many candidates. And, no, I do not want a lifted truck -- again due to my slide-in camper. It's already heavy enough, I don't want it even further up in the air!

Quick Reply: Possible diesel convert