1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Saggy front leafs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saggy front leafs

Need some advice. my 97 f250 7.3 PS OBS truck is about an inch or two from the front suspension stoppers...the leafs are litterly flexing the wrong way. all obs f250 7.3 i see have this same problem. i did some research...but i got a lot if mixed answers.
so my question for y'all is this: i just replaced most of my front end (upper lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, wheel u joints) i havnt got the alignmemt yet...but i got a lot of camber going on. my wheels in the front look like this: /...\ and has noticable saggage and is tilting towards the front going on. so do i do an add a leaf kit or buy brank new leafs of the same kind. FYI this used to be a pure plow truck by the last owner. i checked leafs, no cracks, nothing is broke...but i do need new bushings, they are very bad. i dont want to spend a ton. links to any parts suggestions would be a plus.

thanks!!

Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Canadian7.3
Junior User
The leafsprings on the Dana 50 TTB are supposed to have a inverted arch. When you redid your balljoints did you change the caster bushings? I just did new leafsprings, shocks, shackle bushings and balljoints, until I clocked those bushings correctly my tires still pointed inwards.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:03 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't recall the exact measurement, but surprisingly the distance to the stops is only supposed to be an inch or so. Replacing the worn out rubber axle pivot and spring shackle bushings with urethane bushings from Summit went a long way towards fixing the camber on my truck.

If you still have camber problems you have to be real lucky to reclock the caster bushings to adjust the camber without screwing up the caster adjustment. A new bushing to adjust the camber while leaving the caster within spec is needed.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Originally Posted by Canadian7.3
The leafsprings on the Dana 50 TTB are supposed to have a inverted arch. When you redid your balljoints did you change the caster bushings? I just did new leafsprings, shocks, shackle bushings and balljoints, until I clocked those bushings correctly my tires still pointed inwards.
i had a mechanic do it. much too cold to be sitting out and working on it. what do the caster bushings looklike? picture of its location on the truck?

well i want the truck to sit more kevel. the *** end is sticking much farther up and is clearly leaning towards the front. i read one guy just did add a leaf to the fron to give him a few inches to level the front out with the back. now i found a 3 stsck of leaves with a much higher weight rating that i think will fit, but i dont want to waste tue money if the add a leaf is a better option. i will be having them do the bushings soon.

thanks

Old 12-12-2016, 02:14 PM
iverger
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_T
I don't recall the exact measurement, but surprisingly the distance to the stops is only supposed to be an inch or so....
I remember researching this back before I did the D60 swap. 1.75" from the top of the springs to the bump stop is about where it came from the factory. My 20 year old springs had sagged less than 1/2" when I replaced them.

In the end I put together a D60 swap for only a few hundred less than a full D50 rebuild. I takes some shopping around though. The gain in turn radius and ride quality was worth every penny extra.

Re-arching is another option to consider.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Originally Posted by iverger
I remember researching this back before I did the D60 swap. 1.75" from the top of the springs to the bump stop is about where it came from the factory. My 20 year old springs had sagged less than 1/2" when I replaced them.

In the end I put together a D60 swap for only a few hundred less than a full D50 rebuild. I takes some shopping around though. The gain in turn radius and ride quality was worth every penny extra.

Re-arching is another option to consider.
Well eventually ill fo the swap, but not yet. temporarily inthink i am just hoing to add a leaf. does anyone know where to get some good yet affordable add a leaf kits for the front end of my truck?

Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Canadian7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bob_T
If you still have camber problems you have to be real lucky to reclock the caster bushings to adjust the camber without screwing up the caster adjustment. A new bushing to adjust the camber while leaving the caster within spec is needed.
My truck when I did them was a mess, passenger side had a aftermarket shim (that was overlocked) and the driver side was the original. It needs a minor wheel alignment but I drove it 1,000 miles two days after doing the whole front end with no issues other then the steering wheel being a bit off centre.

Originally Posted by Dezl Newbie
i had a mechanic do it. much too cold to be sitting out and working on it. what do the caster bushings looklike? picture of its location on the truck?

well i want the truck to sit more kevel. the *** end is sticking much farther up and is clearly leaning towards the front. i read one guy just did add a leaf to the fron to give him a few inches to level the front out with the back. now i found a 3 stsck of leaves with a much higher weight rating that i think will fit, but i dont want to waste tue money if the add a leaf is a better option. i will be having them do the bushings soon.

thanks

I contemplated getting a add a leaf but chose to get a bit two leaf pack with a bit more weight rating. My D50 was in too good of shape to justify tossing it for a D60 right now.
If you wanting to keep the D50 but lift it may I suggest this?2" Lift Springs - Ford F250, Ford F350 Complete Front Leaf Spring Assembly Kit**SHIPPING COST FOR LEAF SPRINGS ONLY**