6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Air bags or leaf

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bags or leaf

I have a question I tow a 8500 travel trailer and have a reese strait line hitch rated for 15,000 lbs spring bars. I am getting alot of tailer sway and I think I have the hitch setup right. Watching the rear suspension last time towing seems like it wants to move up and down alot. So I was searching and found alot of people are putting air bags on the new trucks because of the leafs being so long for the RIDE. Would it be better to add the Firestone air ride or have another leaf added?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_O
I have a question I tow a 8500 travel trailer and have a reese strait line hitch rated for 15,000 lbs spring bars. I am getting alot of tailer sway and I think I have the hitch setup right. Watching the rear suspension last time towing seems like it wants to move up and down alot. So I was searching and found alot of people are putting air bags on the new trucks because of the leafs being so long for the RIDE. Would it be better to add the Firestone air ride or have another leaf added?
If you can give me your year, make, model, and if it's a 2wd or 4wd, I can find a kit that will work for your application. Adding air springs to the rear of your truck will give you the best of both worlds. Inflate the bags when carrying a load to eliminate the squat, correct headlight aim, eliminate trailer sway, improve braking/steering, and more. Deflate the bags when riding empty for a softer ride.

On a side note, as I'm sure you already know, the air bag system will not increase your load capacity/rating. Just a standard disclaimer. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd go air bags. AAL may effect your unloaded ride.

I don't have my bags installed yet (and I've had 'em for like a year!) so I can't say how they are unloaded, but with 5psi in them (min recommended psi), I doubt that'd make a difference unloaded.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
If you can give me your year, make, model, and if it's a 2wd or 4wd, I can find a kit that will work for your application. Adding air springs to the rear of your truck will give you the best of both worlds. Inflate the bags when carrying a load to eliminate the squat, correct headlight aim, eliminate trailer sway, improve braking/steering, and more. Deflate the bags when riding empty for a softer ride.

On a side note, as I'm sure you already know, the air bag system will not increase your load capacity/rating. Just a standard disclaimer. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
It a 2011 F250 4wd crew cab short box xlt

Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Thanks Bullet I think that what I will be researching!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tire pressure?

make sure tire pressure is good and not minimum psi. i run air bags on a big 4wd and just love them. running for over 10 yrs now. the longer leafs are great for ride but they can move around a little. what shock are you running? make sure shocks are good to go. start with the simple scary stuff then work up to the expensive stuff.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
i have a set of supersprings on mine and they work great and u can install them yourself in about an hour very simple and effective no drilling and ride is still good

Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_O
It a 2011 F250 4wd crew cab short box xlt
Your truck would use our most popular kit, part number 57396. You can learn more about it here: LoadLifter 5000; Leaf Spring Leveling Kit. And check out the awesome rebate offer we have going on here: Air Lift Rebate. If you have any more questions let me know. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
ALMACK
Senior User
I have installed Air Lift bags on all my pickups and really like them.

Sure makes the truck feel alot safer to drive.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM
GWBade
New User
Go with air bags . I have had them on 3 trucks and have gone on a 2000 mile trip with a 5th wheel that weighs 13000# loaded and I was glad I had them.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a question about your hitch? I assume that you have a weight distributing hitch? When you have your camper hooked up is the truck sitting level, or is it squatted in the rear end? We had had a camper for years and I always hooked up the camper, let the jack down, and then tightened up the bars as tight as I could get them. This would pick up the rear end some, but it still would not be level. With the F-250 I pulled it with it would still sway when a trailer truck passed me. When we bought a new camper a couple of years ago we had to go through the new customer walk through. One thing that I did learn is that for your hitch to work right your truck needs to set level when it is hooked up. This puts more weight on your front axle and reduces sway. To do this hook up your ball, then jack your trailer jack up as far as you can easily get it, pulling up the rear end of the truck. Now attach your bars as tight as they will go. Using this procedure I was able to get a couple of more links on my bars and made my truck set completely level. I was amazed at how much better the truck drove. I am now pulling a 29ft 8,000 lb loaded camper with a F-150 and do not have any trouble with sway, but I did have to add a sway brake on my hitch when I downgraded to a half ton. You might already be doing this, but if not give it a try; you will probably be surprised how much better your truck handles your camper.