Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

OEM vs. Aftermarket Fan Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM
teletekman
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM vs. Aftermarket Fan Clutches

Hi,

I have a 92 Explorer w/ Automatic Transmission, A/C and the Super Cooling package and recently changed out my seized up fan clutch for a Hayden "Severe Duty" aftermarket unit from Oreily's. I noticed the Severe Duty clutches are all that is avail in an aftermarket design for my make & model Explorer so was limited to my choices.

I also read that this style clutch is loud, moves a hell of a lot of air and is good for towing and operating in higher temp climates. However it limits my MPG's and gives me sluggish take off's untill enough air moves through the radiator and release's the fan a bit. It also does this when first started in the morning till I rev the engine up a bit and will then release the fan.

I have been toying with the idea of going back to OEM Motorcraft due to a couple of reccomendations from auto shops I have talked to in the area. Ford lists a "Base Cooling" clutch for my Explorer given the options I have, till I tell them my VIN and then they tell me I need the "Super Cooling" clutch.

So my question is if I opt for the Motorcraft "Super Cooling" clutch, is this going to be exactly the same as the aftermarket "Severe Duty" clutches as far as operation goes? I don't mind spending the extra $$$ for the OEM style if it won't be as viscious as these aftermarket clutches but wanted to get some opinions first. I was already told from Ford the "Base Cooling" clutch won't be enough.

I just can't see this being so loud when buying this vehicle new off the lot 20 years ago so am wondering the the whole OEM vs. aftermarket claim actually holds water when it comes to these clutches.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sean

Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats why I use a heavy duty electric fan. However good electric fans are expensive.

If the base cooling clutch was inadequate, I would not think it would not be offered through Ford. Unless you are in an extremely hot climate doing lots of low speed high rev stuff, the normal fan clutch should get the job done.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 AM
teletekman
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was leading towards the standard duty clutch but when I told them I had an external tranny cooler, I gave them my VIN and said I had the Super Cooling package hence needing the Super Cooling clutch.

Sitting at a stoplight tonight I was idleing for about 2 minutes in 84 degree weather and then when I went to go,m that fan spun full blast for a few seconds giving me a crappy takeoff. I would have thought that would have been fairly cool enough to not put the fan in overdrive even stopped for a few.

I guess I'm just trying to find out if the OEM Motorcraft "Super Cooling" style clutch is as aggressive as the aftermarket "Severe Duty" style clutch.

Thanks for your reply btw.