Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

So where will the new Transit Connect be built--and a LWB!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
So where will the new Transit Connect be built--and a LWB!!

This link came up in the thread about the full size Transit; it looks like both the big Transit and the new Transit Connect (including a long wheelbase version!!!) will be introduced in late 2013 as 2014 models. Officially on the US Ford website!

The New 2014 Ford Transit Commercial Vans | The Biggest Transformation of the Full-Size Van in 50 Years | Ford.com

It looks like the new Transit Connect may be on my wish list for a logical replacement for my 2002 E150 (which is still running fine but I would like to use less fuel), especially because there is a LWB version. I have not found anything with regard to whether the new TC will be built in the US, or still in Turkey, or elsewhere (Mexico?) Anyone got any inside news on this?

Thanks,
George

Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Connect is now being built in Valencia, Spain. The full size Transit is being built in Kansas City, Missouri along side the F150.

Also worth mentioning, the Connect gets a new six speed automatic, as well as two new engines. A 1.6L Ecoboost I4 or 2.5L naturally aspirated I4. No reported hp/tq numbers yet though.

Unfortunately, we won't get a diesel in the Connect here in the states. We will get a diesel in the full size Transit though.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Thanks, SVT! The combination of 6 speed trans, the bigger (or more powerful but smaller turbo) engines, and the lower roofline--plus the LWB, will likely improve the economy more than a bit. I want one already! I guess we will have some time to see how well the 1.6 EcoBoost does in the new Escape before the new TC is out.

Somehow Spain sounds better than Turkey, but I sure wish they'd build them in the US. I'm a lifelong Detroiter and really like to support my neighbors.

Thanks again,
George

Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Here are the lengths/wheelbases of the old Connect vs. the new Connect:

Current Connect: Length-180.6" Wheelbase-114.6"
2014 Connect SWB: Length-173.9" Wheelbase-104.8"
2014 Connect LWB: Length- 189.7" Wheelbase-120.6"

So the new connect is either 6.7" shorter overall or 9.1" longer overall depending on which wheelbase you choose. I'm hoping the long wheelbase model is just long enough to fit a full sheet of plywood/drywall in the back. That would make a great replacement for the old GM Astro van, which found a lot of love with the handyman/small contractor crowd.

Edit: I also hope the new Connect is rated to tow something, even if it's only 2,000lbs. The current one not being able to tow anything is a real bummer.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
Here are the lengths/wheelbases of the old Connect vs. the new Connect:

Current Connect: Length-180.6" Wheelbase-114.6"
2014 Connect SWB: Length-173.9" Wheelbase-104.8"
2014 Connect LWB: Length- 189.7" Wheelbase-120.6"

So the new connect is either 6.7" shorter overall or 9.1" longer overall depending on which wheelbase you choose. I'm hoping the long wheelbase model is just long enough to fit a full sheet of plywood/drywall in the back. That would make a great replacement for the old GM Astro van, which found a lot of love with the handyman/small contractor crowd.
Thanks again....but it does not look good for 4x8. The current TC has only 6 feet behind the front seats, and the hood on the new one looks to be at least as long, so I'm guessing there is no way they can pick up 2 feet in floor length. The 4x8 is one of my own yardsticks (I have had full size vans since 1986) but most of my use is carrying bicycles, music gear, and people. (And I was the cool dad in Boy Scouts and for bike tours and races.) But the E150 can also eat a big couch with no problem...or a queen size mattress.

My son is now grown, and with just my wife and me, it's gonna be time to travel when she retires, and the E150 passenger seat does NOT work for her left knee (or mine)--the Astro sucked there too. And gas mileage would be helpful. Almost bought a mini in 1996 (but did a Savana with my late dad's GM discount) and almost got a mini in 2003 (but got my E150). Next time it's gonna have to be a minivan I think, unless the short big Transit is affordable.

I do think the Odyssey/Sienna will take 4x8 sheets, but they are well over 200" long. I'd rather sacrifice the 4x8 to get a blue oval.

Thanks,
George

Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Yea, I'm thinking the same thing. The current Connect has 81" behind the front seats. If they added all of that 9.1" inside, that would make for 90.1" behind the seats or a tick over seven and a half feet. Close but no cigar.

Guess they don't want to cut into full size Transit and F150 sales.

I do have to say though, I'm glad they're keeping barn doors. Trying to load stuff into a vehicle with an overhead hatch door (like most modern suvs/cuvs) is near impossible with a forklift.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford has to start making more versions of their turbo diesel IMHO.

Gas prices are going higher and diesels in Europe are common as well as proven drive trains.

What's not to like here?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ArtsBest

Gas prices are going higher and diesels in Europe are common as well as proven drive trains.

What's not to like here?
Emissions regulations (which I do not oppose because my grandchildren deserve clean air), and US buyers still do not accept diesels as willingly as the Europeans, where diesel cars and trucks are the norm for almost everyone. I have a friend in Norway who drives a really cool Diesel Alfa car and calls gasoline "lawnmower fuel".

I would personally buy a diesel very willingly especially in any truck or van.

George

Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ArtsBest

What's not to like here?
I would love to see that diesel engine here. The 5 cyl vesion in Europe gets better mpg and is almost equal in the emission of a 6 cyl gas. Bring it on, cause they last longer too.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 PM
sprtsmn
Junior User
Strongly considering one of the LWB versions.

Sadly I can't find any dimensions.

My decision hinges on the rear twin door opening height, cargo compartmen height, and the LWB cargo box length.

Has anyone seen the cargo dimensions beyond thesquare foot diamensions?

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Originally Posted by WADE MMT/PSD
I would love to see that diesel engine here. The 5 cyl vesion in Europe gets better mpg and is almost equal in the emission of a 6 cyl gas. Bring it on, cause they last longer too.
You mean they used to last longer. I havent seen many 6.0 or 6.4 outlasting 5.4/6.8 have you?