Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/duals and O2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Headers/duals and O2 sensor?

My '89 has only one O2 sensor but the headers have one on each side. Since I'm running putting on true duals, should I just plug one side?

I've thought of putting a crossover up in the front and putting O2 sensor there, kinda like the stock Y pipe does. Pretty sure it won't really matter.

How has everyone else done it?

Picking up my headers this weekend(got them coated), got exhaust sitting in garage. Just need a couple days to install.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just use the passenger side bung and plug the other side. The engine will run fine with the o2 sensor reading off one side of the engine. Mine has been that way for three years,and others on here have done it this way also.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
fordrulez
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered the same thing also

Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM
mpc07005
Senior User
Make a crossover tube. It will run with it in just one side, but it will have more power, economy, and will tell you if something is terribly wrong if you have the crossover. For limp home/short term, ok. For extended use, put in a crossover tube before you accidentally burn one side of your engine (much more expensive than a tube).

Bottom line: You don't NEED one, but you should put it in. Do it where the two sides are closest together for best results.

-Mike

Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM
'86 F150
Senior User
When I put headers on my '86 they didnt have any bung for the O2 sensor so I bought a weld in bung, and welded it onto the exhaust pipe. I used early factory fox body shorty headers. It runs good with this setup, also has true duals.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mpc07005
Make a crossover tube. It will run with it in just one side, but it will have more power, economy, and will tell you if something is terribly wrong if you have the crossover. For limp home/short term, ok. For extended use, put in a crossover tube before you accidentally burn one side of your engine (much more expensive than a tube).

Bottom line: You don't NEED one, but you should put it in. Do it where the two sides are closest together for best results.

-Mike
Have to disagree here,have NEVER heard of anyone running it off both sides and the ones running it off one side have never complained about a decrease in power/mileage. Paul(conanski) is the one that suggested I do my exhaust this way. He is very knowledgeable,he would know if this set up could potentially cause an engine to expire needlessly.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 AM
mpc07005
Senior User
Originally Posted by cjben
Have to disagree here,have NEVER heard of anyone running it off both sides and the ones running it off one side have never complained about a decrease in power/mileage.
How would they know? What they have now is certainly better than what they had, and I've never heard of anyone trying it both ways. Also, you can't run one O2 per bank on these trucks with any stock computer. Some later ones do have 2, but they would still need the downstream sensor in a crossover.
Having it in one side will not kill the engine, it just gives you no data on the other bank. You will not be able to chase any codes on that side of the engine that are related to the fuel mixture (which is a lot of them) because there wont be any. It also should not properly meter EGR (IIRC HEGO output is a component of the EGR code), and will not actively correct for any fueling problems on that bank. The computers base almost everything off that HEGO, the ECT, the and the MAP/IAT or MAF sensor. That makes each one very important.
If you have the 2 pipes next to each other for any length of the run (necessary for any dual tankers, or people avoiding the fuel lines), it's easy enough to put it in, so why not?

-Mike

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Batch fired verses sequential so addition of one for the other side just in duals isn't necessary.

Get a better "over all" picture of the exhaust gases with a single 02 sensor in the middle of an x | h pipe whatever ya wanna call it? yea no one disputing that.

If the motor is in good shape, all cylinders contributing equally don't have one pumping oil or suffering blow by? Then one side will be fine. That and if have cylinder not up to speed, money better spent correcting that first before thinking about adding dual exhaust!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The computer in the truck only has one input for an O2 sensor. If you go through the trouble of adding a crossover pipe, the gas that is being sampled by the sensor will be from both sides of the exhaust instead of just one but you will still have only one input into the computer and the computer will adjust the fuel based on that. So the computer will be able to test the gases from both sides of the engine and would be able to adjust better, but you are still running a bank firing system for your injectors so I don't think you'll make much gain from adding the crossover.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
With the batch fired system having the O2 "see" both sides really won't help much, AFAIK the SD computer applies the same injector trims to both batches all the time so there is no net gain/loss with the O2 on one side. With a sequential mass air setup the computer has dual sensor inputs and it's designed to be able to apply different injector maps to each engine bank, but even then if all your squirters are in good shape and the engine has no mechanical issues like a burnt valve or worn rings on one lung then these two maps are going to be very similar so again it's not really worth the effort and expense of installing 2 sensors. I did some experimenting with this on my truck and I saw no difference whatsoever in fuel consumption, power, or engine operation, and I also had realtime data to look at on my Tweecer to compare L and R fuel trims.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:55 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Conanski
With the batch fired system having the O2 "see" both sides really won't help much, AFAIK the SD computer applies the same injector trims to both batches all the time so there is no net gain/loss with the O2 on one side. With a sequential mass air setup the computer has dual sensor inputs and it's designed to be able to apply different injector maps to each engine bank, but even then if all your squirters are in good shape and the engine has no mechanical issues like a burnt valve or worn rings on one lung then these two maps are going to be very similar so again it's not really worth the effort and expense of installing 2 sensors. I did some experimenting with this on my truck and I saw no difference whatsoever in fuel consumption, power, or engine operation, and I also had realtime data to look at on my Tweecer to compare L and R fuel trims.
To add to this (not that Conanski needs my help), some MASS Air conversion kits even state you can use just a single O2 sensor even though there will be two inputs on the computer (you would essentially jumper the input wire on the computer to the second input). This is NOT recommended, but it can be done. I have had people tell me they have done this and not noticed an issue, but I went through the extra trouble to add the second one when I converted to MASS Air.

Last edited by RIKIL; 09-07-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: cuz