1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Choosing an electric angle grinder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have two 4", one 4-1/2" All Makita. I keep a cutoff wheel on one 4", a rubber sanding disk backer and red fiber disk on the other 4". The 4-1/2" is reserved for whatever and whenever needed. If any of them burned out I'd go right out and buy another Makita (unless they ever make a reversed rotation left handed model!)! The 4" weren't much more than a HF, certainly less than 2 of them, 35.00 when I bought mine, 49.00 now. I have a 7" PC mounted with my shrinking disk.
I NEVER EVER use a wire wheel, PERIOD!!!! My brother is blind in one eye from a wire bristle thrown from a wire wheel while doing rust removal. I use abrasive embedded nylon brush wheels available in 3 grits at ACE hardware stores, right next to the wire ones. They come in disk and cup styles. They do not shed bristles, but do throw abrasive dust and rust/paint particles, so I still wear a face shield. The best part is they last much longer and work better than the wire wheels. Finally, a bristle wheel works much better with a light touch than heavy pressure, heavy pressure just destroys the wheels and the grinders. The working part of the brush is the ends of the bristles, heavy pressure bends them over so the side of the bristle is against the work. It's as effective that way as a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle, makes a lot of noise and destroys the card. If the wheel is getting misshapened and frizzy, you are pressing too hard! Once it gets that way it's useless, throw it away.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Right on Ax. May be why my cheap one has lasted so long. I let it wind up and do what it was made to do. No matter what head is on it. Ya don't have to try and bury it in the work to get it to work.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
I've had Makita, Harbor Freight, Milwaukee, Crapsman, Metabo, Dewalt for home use and see ALL the major brands in commercial use. I've also seen professional grade dumb-a$$es destroy brand new rigs in a matter of hours from abuse and misuse. Cases got so hot you couldn't hold them with gloves on

The best ?? depends on what you want from it... need a one time project grinder ?? that will last a few months... go with the H.F. got a really nasty bit of work for it... buy the H.F. and trash it when done.. if it doesn't go toes up before you finish... when the tool only cost twice what a three pack of grinding wheels does... you can judge it's merit.

But, if you're like me and buy tools for the duration pick a name brand... Milwaukee are way too high but last a long time if not abused. I think their manufacturing has moved off shore... Porter Cable makes quality tools...period. My favorite is Metabo.. high price but you can't kill it.. a 6" metabo with a .040" cut off wheel has replaced my torch AND my porta-band saw almost.

There is an old saying... "bad welders make great grinders"... it's referring to the person not the machine... right now there are 4 under my bench. a milwaukee with a 4.5 grinding rock, another milwaukee with a 4.5" flap disk for finishing, a crapsman with a courser grit rock and my trusty Metabo cut off machine... had all for over 10 years with no service at all... other than consumables. Multiple grinders will save time/energy removing all the tool changes... (there are two backup's in boxes on the shelf... a Dewalt and a Milwaukee) Watch for sales and promotions !

The longevity is in direct proportion to how it's used... Chuck mentioned it... let the took work, leaning on only wastes bearings, brushes and consumables and energy... and Chuck also mentioned the safety aspect . WEAR APPROPRIATE SAFETY STUFF... SIDE SHIELD SAFETY GLASSES .... DON'T TURN A GRINDER ON WITHOUT GLASSES OR FULL FACE SHIELD IS EVEN BETTER... GLOVES AND NO LOOSE CLOTHES... PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SPARK FIELD. I saw a business burn to the ground from a grinder spark before the fire dept got there. I've also seen a 4.5" grind rock shatter (from misuse) and open a guy up at the breast bone... to the bone.. thru two shirts and his overalls

Basically it boils down to $$$ your dollars are buying it... so you need to be satisfied with the purchase. buy the best you can afford... the highest amperage motor for the dollar, Then use it properly and it will last longer than you though.

later
John

Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
"bad welders make great grinders"...
LOL...I was just telling my neighbor the other day that if I were a better welder I could throw my grinder away.

While we are on the subject of safety and there are probably several of us who has removed the guards on our grinders I thought I'd toss this out there. The spark shield/knuckle guard/whatever you want to call it can and should be removed for some uses. The OSHA laws basically state that guards should be in place when using hard wheels. They can be removed for flexible discs, wire brushes, etc. But keep in mine that OSHA rules are the bare minimum.

The only beef I have with the Black and Deckeris that it has the slide type switch. Sometimes with gloves on its tough to make it lock. So far it hasnt been and issue and it doesnt pop off when bumped but I do prefer a trigger type switch

Bobby

Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
The OSHA laws basically state that guards should be in place when using hard wheels. They can be removed for flexible discs, wire brushes, etc. But keep in mine that OSHA rules are the bare minimum.
FYI, OSHA does not have anything to do with the home shop/garage...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
No, they don't, but common sense does. Defeating a safety feature isn't smart at home or at work.

Quality grinding discs are something that I didn't see mentioned. Norton, 3M, etc. will outlast the cheap HF type and aren't as likely to scatter chunks around the shop or into your belly.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
My favorite is Metabo.. high price but you can't kill it..
Agreed. I haven't used one of these since I worked in a metal shop, but the quick change spindle and the narrow body make it super convenient to use. Every time I pick up my poorly balanced brick of a HF grinder I sure do miss using the Metabos!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
No, they don't, but common sense does. Defeating a safety feature isn't smart at home or at work.
I never said that it didn't. Just clarifying is all.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Ross is correct on the quality accessories... I use Norton, Sait and one other I can't remember..... outlast H.F. and fleamarket stuff 2-3 to one. Flap disk ?? buy zirconium, they are worth the extra $$..

j

Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Oh yea, I realize that. I was actually an OSHA Compliance Officer for a time. I used to field calls all the time about someone's neighbor doing something ugly and explainign to them that I couldn't help. The other area that we used to get lots of calls on was public schools and unsafe conditions for the poor little kiddies. People just couldn't understand that I couldn't help them. OSHA didn't care about the poor little kiddies. They aren't employees.

I come from a long line of taking safety risks in the home shop and I've had way too many close calls. I'm more careful nowdays, I take precautions, I wear safety glasses and use face shields.

Oh, and while we are talking about grinders and/or grinder safety.... hands up everyone who has ground all the skin off of a knuckle (said as I raise my hand into the air)

Bobby

Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a couple grinders that I use in my shop pretty regularly and cutting a lot of steel with them. In my experience you get what you pay for. I had a cheaper smaller one go out twice on me with only a dozen hours of use or what not. The better the warranty usually the better the product. However if you're only using it for this project and never will again it doesn't make too much sense to buy a new $300 one. Course you can buy a good used one for pennies on the dollar sometimes.

I agree about the wire wheels. Sometimes I don't have much choice in using them, but I don't like them. I used them on my build with my car and when they start to go out they start to shoot metal slivers everywhere. I had goggles, a face shield and wore all leather and it still stuck in the leather. They go everywhere and often you spend hours just picking them out of your clothes. And if you have long hair forget about it. I still remember the angle grinder in college that they kept on display that had some hippies long hair completely caught in the wire wheel. Be lucky if it just got caught and it didn't rip it out or knock you out cold as the angle grinder zoomed at your head.

I think they are one of those things that don't seem as dangerous as they are. If it helps get the point across, just remember if a piece does get stuck in your eye and you don't loose your eye, they still have to drill it out of your eye. Drill. Think about that for a second... drill, your eye. And then you can still loose it to infection.

Sorry your brother lost his sight in his eye Ax, saying that sucks doesn't come close to covering it.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Aarons54f100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first got the truck I crawled under it looking around, no grinding or power tools involved, and some dust fell in my eye. I dont even work on my truck without some decent PPE. Nothing has pissed me off since like scratching my eye.

A buddy of mine recommended sears, I'm pretty sure my grinder was a kawasaki, it lasted over 10 years at least. Otherwise responses here have been inconsistent from grinders being disposable to them being worth the investment. I think I am just going to read reviews and find a middle of the road with a high amperage. That is if I cant repair my old one, thought occurred to me today that the motor brushes are probably worn out now. Which is an easy fix.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Oh yea, I realize that. I was actually an OSHA Compliance Officer for a time. I used to field calls all the time about someone's neighbor doing something ugly and explainign to them that I couldn't help. The other area that we used to get lots of calls on was public schools and unsafe conditions for the poor little kiddies. People just couldn't understand that I couldn't help them. OSHA didn't care about the poor little kiddies. They aren't employees.
It amazes me how many people seem to be under the impression that OSHA has any say in their private garage and such.

I come from a long line of taking safety risks in the home shop and I've had way too many close calls. I'm more careful nowdays, I take precautions, I wear safety glasses and use face shields.

Oh, and while we are talking about grinders and/or grinder safety.... hands up everyone who has ground all the skin off of a knuckle (said as I raise my hand into the air)

Bobby
I can post pictures of my gloves with the leather missing from the tops of the fingers. That is one thing I ALWAYS wear gloves with.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Amen on the gloves Chris! They have saved me a lot of skin (most of the times, sometimes I've lost glove and skin, at least heavy leather ones give me a fighting chance). NEVER grind in your welding gloves! Work gloves, even expensive ones are cheaper! I have cut thru the leg of my jeans at least a couple of times as well as having the spark spray burn thru them. Being left handed in a right hand tool world has some challenges, like the sparks coming at you instead of away from you...

Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I like electric angle grinders that are 3 things, electricaly powered, can be used to grind, and are at an angle. I know many disagree with this, but that's my preferance.

Quick Reply: Choosing an electric angle grinder?