Modular V10 (6.8l)  

MBRP V10 Stainless Exhaust - #5206409

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Jimmy Pet
Senior User
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
MBRP V10 Stainless Exhaust - #5206409

I just installed the MBRP 4" stainless exhaust kit for my 2004, F350, DRW and I figured I would post a review for the archives as it doesnt seem to be much information on this forum on this exhaust.

I went up market and bought the stainless version from Summit ($549 all in, free shipping), as I plan to keep this truck for a while.
I was considering getting a new truck and figured why, no good gas engine choices anymore,,, keep this one.

GENERAL
The one i bought was part #5206409.
4", polished stainless, single exit.
MSRP $679, Summit Racing $549 delivered.

This system combined with my 5 Star Y Pipe, deleted cat and a 5 Star tune= Awesome.
I do want to call Mike and see if I need anything changed now that I have no cat and a 4" exhaust, or if there is enough fuel adjustment in that tune to compensate.

SOUND:
It sounds great at idle to 2000 RPM, a great low rumble.
It gets a bit loud 2000 - 3500 as you push into the throttle say accelerating briskly away from a light.
The sound is pure awesome at WOT. I mean it sounds big at WOT pulling up a hill.

In cabin noise increase is negligible. I did a test on highway, windows up radio on and I could hear easily.
I also did a test of calling my wife via cell, windows up at 65 MPH.
No problem.

Outside at the tailpipe, yes its louder. I have a DB meter, I can measure if anyone cares.
I attribute the negligible in cabin increase to the thickness of the materials used.
This MBRP 4" system completely changed the exhaust characteristic of the V10. Much less "nasal" sound. The 4" system seems to help that tone.

If you dont mind it being a bit louder than stock, this system is a GREAT choice.

INSTALL:
Easy, fitment was perfect, no issues to report. I did have to relocate one mid system exhaust hangar forward about 6" into factory provided holes.
It was loosen 2 nuts, move hangar, retighten two nuts.
This is a really high quality built system.

LOOKS:
It looks fantastic, fully polished, nothing tinny, transition piece from 3" to 4" is very nice and is very well made. Muffler is huge.

MBRP gets my vote after now owning one.
Post any questions, if I can answer them I will.
Cheers
jimmy p

Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been.looking into an MBRP system. This review definitely helps my decision to ditch the dual flow masters

Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Nice write-up Jimmy

reps sent. DB levels would certainly be a nice thing to have, but don't go out of your way too much

Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Z7Hunter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a sweet setup. I will be putting the 3" MBRP kit on my truck soon.

Mike- check out Diesel and Gas Performance, Automotive Accessories | Exhaust Rack

I'm not associated with the site nor have I done business with them yet but they have the best prices I have seen.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Ron_Manjenkins
Senior User
The 4" is a must for the V10 if you don't mind the noise.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Is there any drone inside the cab in the 1400-1800 RPM range? I hate my Banks and I'm looking for a replacement.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you hate your Banks system I do not see how the MBRP is going to be any better due to even less muffler capacity than your Banks. If you do not want drone the Flowmaster system with 70 series muffler is about as close as you are going to get with a bolt on catback. A brand new exhaust system will also sound different and often drone more a year or so down the road than when it was new. This is especially so with a smaller capacity muffler that uses a packing material.

MBRP has some whack ideas when it comes their V10 exhausts. They apparently think a 2V which puts out less power and moves less air needs a 4" diesel exhaust system but a 3V with more power and moves more air needs a smaller 3" system. Sounds like they either just started dynoing their exhaust systems when they brought out the 3" system or they were just too lazy to come out with a system for the 2V trucks and used one of their diesel systems.

I would like to see some actual dyno graphs on that 4" 2V system on a mostly stock NA truck. I would bet gains are minimal or their are actual losses at certain areas in the rpm range, especially with stock tuning.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Ron_Manjenkins
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf

I would like to see some actual dyno graphs on that 4" 2V system on a mostly stock NA truck. I would bet gains are minimal or their are actual losses at certain areas in the rpm range, especially with stock tuning.
In my experience, the truck was night and day power wise. Almost like it needed to exhale better. But I don't have stock tuning

Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Jimmy Pet
Senior User
I would agree.
Not sure what restrictions may have collapsed inside the deteriorating stock muffler, but there was an actual noticeable improvement in power, and an off idle torque with this new exhaust. The truck seems to just idle along pulling up a gear in places.
I dont feel it lost anything and may have gained (but its hard to tell without a back to back dyno I know).

I am racing next weekend, thus towing my race car to Watkins Glen, lots of hills,,, I will update this thread after I tow with it on mileage, exhaust tone, any in cabin drone, torque, power, etc.

I 100% get the perceived "power add" of a louder exhaust. I have been hot rodding since I was 16. I know factory exhausts can be very good and usually you can lose yourself power with aftermarket systems. I am for the moment quite certain that I'm seeing some modest torque / HP benefit (at least over the aged out 2004 system it replaced).

Not sure why its so hard to believe a 4", mandrel bent system with a louvered high flow muffler would not see a performance improvement over a 3" baffled, chambered, non free flow, stocker. Hot rodding 101. Get the air in, get it out as quickly and freely as possible.
I have a full 3" exhaust on my 2.3 litre, 4 cylinder race car.
I cant imagine a 4" exhaust on an engine 3 times that size is a stretch (or oversized). Exhausts are about volume and velocity.
I'll need convincing that a 6.8 litre engine is swamped by a 4" exhaust, when guys have been putting dual 2.5" pipes on big blocks for literally decades.

I'm 100% with Ron Man. My truck 100% feels like its breathing better,,, but I do not have stock tuning, nor do I have a stock Y pipe.
The MBRP 4" system seems to provide a pretty nice improvement (and I promise I am not trying to justify buying an $500 exhaust).
I'd be the first one to say, "hey no real improvement but it looks pretty and sounds nice".

Old 09-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Jimmy Pet
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Is there any drone inside the cab in the 1400-1800 RPM range? I hate my Banks and I'm looking for a replacement.
No drone. Thats the nicest part. I found it to be drone free so far.
As I wrote in my last post, I'm towing next weekend, so I'll have some more time with it towing on the highway. I'll be able to add to my initial report.

The nicest part of the tone is from idle to 2000 RPM. Sound low and throaty.
2000 - 3500 gets a little raucous.
WOT is really great (at least inside, outside it may be frightening old ladies and woodland creatures)...

Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Ron_Manjenkins
Senior User
That was my thinking Jimmy. I used a system off a diesel for mine. All exiting to a black 5" tip. I kept on getting mixed signals on it from folk but I finally said, "F it" and I haven't regretted it. Sure it's loud and it might scare old ladies and woodland critters but the truck needs to exhale and with my plans for it's forced induction system it's even further justified.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
bakon
Elder User
Thinking of getting your system or the two exhaust one. Did the pipes come long enough to delete the cat or did you previously remove it. I have Hedman headers and they bolt right up to cat.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Z7Hunter
Junior User
Talking

Originally Posted by Krewat
Nice write-up Jimmy

reps sent. DB levels would certainly be a nice thing to have, but don't go out of your way too much
Jimmy,
Sound Clip? Maybe?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 PM
MColton76
New User
I had this same 4" on my old 2000 v10 and loved it!! Yes it is really load though! especially when u first start it up

Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM
bakon
Elder User
Dont want loud on start up. Already got that with my leaky headpipes. Would like to hear this system.

Quick Reply: MBRP V10 Stainless Exhaust - #5206409