1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Price check

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
rangerxlt1971
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price check

Hey guys, new user here. Recently acquired this interesting truck, and I'm trying to sell it to a friend. I'm a vintage Mustang owner/enthusiast, but I don't know much about vintage Ford trucks. All I know is that its a 1971 Ranger XLT and it has roughly 80k miles on it. Pictures in the link. What's a fair price to sell this at? Also, I attached a picture of another pair of wheels I have. 1) Does anyone know what kind of rims are currently on the truck/what they're worth separately? 2) Would the wheel I posted fit/look good on the truck without reducing its value much? Thanks so much in advance!

Photo Album - Imgur

-Michael

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM
lilsmokey
Senior User
Hey welcome to FTE.

Thats a good looking truck you got there. What engine does it have and what carb does it have? if its a 360/390 then the chrome valve covers from lmc truck are about $40 for a set or $120 for some 'power by ford" covers.

I dont know what kind of person you or your friend are but i would rip those wheels off the truck instantly. Those black wheels you have look like white spoke wheels painted black. I dont know about the swb rangers but if they have 5 lug wheels id throw them on then sell the current wheels separately Also looks like the black wheels have stainless steel trim rings which are $70 from LMC truck.

I dont see any chrome, trim or badges missing. and everything is VERY shiny. And i do not see any flaws with the interior. none whatsoever.

You have a very nice truck and if it was mine id value it around $4500-$5000.

Im sure in a few some others will reply and clear up what i couldnt so good luck buddy.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to FTE. (I think) by that, I don't think your going to be here long because of the questions you ask. You just signed up and your wanting to know what "we" think is a fair price to sell it at.
The FTE family tries to help each other out in the restoration and modifying of these old trucks. Even though the purists don't like the word "Modify" they still help out.
When you start out by wanting to sell your truck, your expecting us to do your legg work for you. (sort-a-speak.)
What did you pay for it? That's your starting price. Anything over that is profit.
What's it worth? What someone is willing to pay for it!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
What's up with the pic of the black steel wagon wheel in that mix? Ya gonna swap wheels and tires?

I'd be in the $3,000 to $3,500 range with stock wheels and tires. You can keep the bling... they're trashy.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM
rangerxlt1971
New User
Originally Posted by gangstakr
Welcome to FTE. (I think) by that, I don't think your going to be here long because of the questions you ask. You just signed up and your wanting to know what "we" think is a fair price to sell it at.
The FTE family tries to help each other out in the restoration and modifying of these old trucks. Even though the purists don't like the word "Modify" they still help out.
When you start out by wanting to sell your truck, your expecting us to do your legg work for you. (sort-a-speak.)
What did you pay for it? That's your starting price. Anything over that is profit.
What's it worth? What someone is willing to pay for it!
Apologies if I came off that way. I am actually keeping the yellow 60s truck in the background of the pictures, and I intend to restore it to stock, so I may well become a regular member of this forum.

The acquisition is a long story, I'm actually selling it for another friend who acquired it for doing some legal work. So, it wasn't technically bought, and I had no idea of the value, thus asking the experts here at FTE.

Thanks again for the advice. Any other advice/price checks would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I don't know which engine it is, but I would assume its the larger of the two: it absolutely roars. Also, the engine has had some aftermarket work done on it, so if anyone has an eye for such things and the value of them please let me know?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditch the wheels. Don't put the wagon wheels on it either. Hard to tell by just the pics you present. Unless the truck was acquired from the original owner I would not even dream of saying it has 80K original miles. Normal mileage for this truck would be more like 380K. I am not so sure you have a Ranger there. It has a quicky paint job on it which says be very careful when looking this truck over. Rangers if I am not mistaken are 2 tone paint schemes. You are missing the trim on the drivers side cab corner. You don't show the tailgate, inside the bed or passenger side.

I could be wrong but the trim on the bottom of the truck doesn't look right to me. I would not be looking at spending more than $1500-$1800 on it if buying providing I didn't find any serious problems with it with stock type or at least period correct chrome wheels on it.

After looking at it more you are missing the seal that goes on the cowl to seal the hood. I seriously doubt that is an 80K truck. Heater hoses don't match. An 80K truck would have sat a long time in the last 40 yrs. They would have rotted evenly. You have red heater hoses & then you have a black 1 running into the manifold. You have a blue wire scotch locked to a red wire. I am pretty sure Ford didn't do that. Why would an 80K truck need a hack job on the wiring? Radiator is not correct, looks like a very cheap replacement. Something zip tied to the PCV hose. Pretty sure Ford didn't do that either. "Throw some wheels on it, a cheap dress up kit under the hood, a quick paint job & get tons of money for it"

The Ranger guys should be able to correct me on this 1 if I am wrong but shouldn't a Ranger XLT have AC? Missing fan shroud. Upper hose is a cheap 1. It looks very thrown together as cheaply as possibly & dump it on somebody to me.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lilsmokey
Hey welcome to FTE.

Thats a good looking truck you got there. What engine does it have and what carb does it have? if its a 360/390 then the chrome valve covers from lmc truck are about $40 for a set or $120 for some 'power by ford" covers.

I dont know what kind of person you or your friend are but i would rip those wheels off the truck instantly. Those black wheels you have look like white spoke wheels painted black. I dont know about the swb rangers but if they have 5 lug wheels id throw them on then sell the current wheels separately Also looks like the black wheels have stainless steel trim rings which are $70 from LMC truck.

I dont see any chrome, trim or badges missing. and everything is VERY shiny. And i do not see any flaws with the interior. none whatsoever.

You have a very nice truck and if it was mine id value it around $4500-$5000.

Im sure in a few some others will reply and clear up what i couldnt so good luck buddy.
Take another look at the dash pad..........

Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
Ditch the wheels. Don't put the wagon wheels on it either. Hard to tell by just the pics you present. Unless the truck was acquired from the original owner I would not even dream of saying it has 80K original miles. Normal mileage for this truck would be more like 380K. I am not so sure you have a Ranger there. It has a quicky paint job on it which says be very careful when looking this truck over. Rangers if I am not mistaken are 2 tone paint schemes. You are missing the trim on the drivers side cab corner. You don't show the tailgate, inside the bed or passenger side.

I could be wrong but the trim on the bottom of the truck doesn't look right to me. I would not be looking at spending more than $1500-$1800 on it if buying providing I didn't find any serious problems with it with stock type or at least period correct chrome wheels on it.

After looking at it more you are missing the seal that goes on the cowl to seal the hood. I seriously doubt that is an 80K truck. Heater hoses don't match. An 80K truck would have sat a long time in the last 40 yrs. They would have rotted evenly. You have red heater hoses & then you have a black 1 running into the manifold. You have a blue wire scotch locked to a red wire. I am pretty sure Ford didn't do that. Why would an 80K truck need a hack job on the wiring? Radiator is not correct, looks like a very cheap replacement. Something zip tied to the PCV hose. Pretty sure Ford didn't do that either. "Throw some wheels on it, a cheap dress up kit under the hood, a quick paint job & get tons of money for it"

The Ranger guys should be able to correct me on this 1 if I am wrong but shouldn't a Ranger XLT have AC? Missing fan shroud. Upper hose is a cheap 1. It looks very thrown together as cheaply as possibly & dump it on somebody to me.
I agree that it looks like a quicky "flip it" clean up job. Rangers did come in single color and a/c was optional.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
rangerxlt1971
New User
Here are the additional pictures that you requested:
Photo Album - Imgur

Is there any reason the prices have been disparate? There's a big difference between the recommendations of 1k and 5k.

Re: the 80k miles: I'm pretty sure the entire drivetrain is aftermarket, so the mileage was reset with it. I think this was less of a flip, and more of a restomod, because the guy who did all of these modifications didn't expect to part with it, and only had to in order to pay off legal fees.

Re: the AC: the hoses and such were still in the cab when I got the car. The AC was removed as part of the engine rebuild.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rangerxlt1971
Here are the additional pictures that you requested:
Photo Album - Imgur

Is there any reason the prices have been disparate? There's a big difference between the recommendations of 1k and 5k.

Re: the 80k miles: I'm pretty sure the entire drivetrain is aftermarket, so the mileage was reset with it. I think this was less of a flip, and more of a restomod, because the guy who did all of these modifications didn't expect to part with it, and only had to in order to pay off legal fees.

Re: the AC: the hoses and such were still in the cab when I got the car. The AC was removed as part of the engine rebuild.

Thanks for the help guys.
If the truck is a Ranger the engine/trans combo could have easily came in it. You can do a search to decipher the VIN & it will tell you what came in the truck providing you have the original VIN tag. I think part of the difference in pricing is what each of us sees. Another would be location. The 1st response did not see you are missing the lower trim pieces at the cab corners. I still say that lower trim just doesn't look right to me. He also missed the dashpad.

If the person did this build with intent of keeping it long term they didn't pay much attention to detail. When dealing with a Ranger or if you are going to push it as a Ranger it should be as close to a Ranger as possible.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to pick your truck apart just telling you what someone who has owned Ford trucks (drove many of this body style when I was young) 30+ yrs sees. The paint & wheels are probably the 2 worst items you have with it providing the body is sound & not just bondoed up. Let's say someone buys the truck @ $1500. They now have at least another $750 into wheels & tires. If they can sell the ones that are on it get a little of their money back.

The farther away from stock you get the more difficult it becomes to sell a vehicle. Your market narrows with every modification. Remember that came from a guy with a heavily modified F100

If you reset the odometer when you do an engine do you then reset it again when you replace the entire suspension? What about the body? Mileage refers to the entire vehicle not just the drivetrain.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While a Ranger might have been more highly optioned, it has nothing at all to do with what engine/transmission combo option any given truck of the same year might have came with.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 AM
williamwilliam
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Ranger xlt's have woodgrain trim on the side moldings where it is black on this truck, which is what it looks like to me on my phone. Xlt's also has the wide woodgrain trim panel on the tailgate, where this one has the smaller black panel. I will look at the pics again of this truck sometime this weekend......
At any rate, this truck would probably go for $3500-$5000 here in my area, VA.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
EL_Musico
Junior User
I'm a Ranger XLT owner.

That is not a Ranger XLT. The tailgate panel, door panels, seat, and exterior trim are incorrect for an XLT. It looks like a standard Ranger with some Sport Custom elements.

The interior looks like a Ranger package, but the tailgate is from a Sport Custom. The wide chrome exterior trim with black paint inlay is from a Ranger (not XLT). The Ranger XLTs had a very distinctive set of door panels with woodgrain insert. These panels are not the XLT panels they are Ranger panels.

And regarding the paint scheme, Ranger XLTs did indeed come in single colors (i.e. not two-tone). A lot of XLTs however, came in the two-tone (deluxe) scheme.

One very positive thing I note from the photos, is that the seat looks original. Those Ranger seats are usually all torn up. If it is indeed original, that's amazing for its age.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Here is some info on trim for all the bumps

Body Trim and Emblems - FORDification.com

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM
EL_Musico
Junior User
The trim around the rear taillights also implies that this tailgate was replaced, or at least the tailgate trim was replaced.

Good clear info about the different tailgate trim: http://fordification.com/forum/viewt...=47544#p437693