1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Any chance of saving this 1959 F100 4x4 Custom Cab rust bucket

Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance of saving this 1959 F100 4x4 Custom Cab rust bucket

Greetings fellow Old iron fans. I spend most of my time in the 6.0l Diesel Forum or in the Excursion support group.

Anyhows my cousin is giving me, if I so chose to accept it, a 1959 F100 Custom Cab 4x4 that has been in my family since the beginning. I was considering getting it to give to my son when he gets old enough. he's only 7, but time fly's.

I took a ride over over to look at it today and sadly It's far worse off than I expected.

Me and my wife had kind of set a long term budget of 10k to restore this but that was before I even laid eyes on it. I'm thinkin it's just to far gone at this point to make it worthwhile. You advice is sought.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:58 PM
rgs4x
Mountain Pass
Rust free cabs are plentiful. It just depends how involved you want to get.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Couple more pics:

Old 09-03-2012, 07:01 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rgs4x
Rust free cabs are plentiful. It just depends how involved you want to get.
I was wondering If this cab is worth trying to save or not and if not does the vin # get changed or not. Thanks

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM
rgs4x
Mountain Pass
4x4

Looks like it needs a cab. Depends on the rest. Frame solid? I have several rust free Cabs and long beds here in Calif. The Cabs run $300-$500 Beds are also $300-$500. The Vin is on the glove box door. You can move the door to the donor cab.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 578 Likes on 519 Posts
Welcome, sure hope someone saves this truck! Were you looking at doing the work or having it done or a combination of both. Looks like a worth while project from what I can see. The top of the cab we definately be a lot of work. It might be easier to cut it off and swap it out with another top. Even so, it will take time. It will also take some passion on your part to see it thru. If you want, you can ship the old truck to my house in upstate NY and I will tuck it in and give it a good home! LOL!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Thanks you guys, I feel better already! This is a very long term project and the orginal plan was to trailer it over to my home and stash \ wrench on it in my 3 car garage which it would fit in snugly at just under 17'. My second option is to to trailer it to my property in Mendocino County and let it sit there until my son gets old enough to wrench on it himself. I don't see this as being a do at home cab off project without major struggle. I do have a 9' ceiling in my garage though and I just figured it might fit nicely right in the middle so my wife can park her car and I can still get to both sides of it. I have about 30 days to make this happen as they property it's sitting on has been sold.

I think the frame is usable from what I could tell as well as all of the running gear.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
I'm a professional welder and have combined a few wrecked cars into whole cars. An Austin Healy once and also a Toyota SR5 pickup. So I can deal with a decent challenge, just trying to get the feel of how bad this would be. .

Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM
rgs4x
Mountain Pass
parts

It sounds like you have the skills. If you need parts I am 50 miles east of SF in Brentwood 94513 and have access to Cabs, Beds. Also a buddy in Modesto has several parts trucks.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
rgs4x
Mountain Pass
parts

This just sold on ebay. Non-runner

Ford : F-100 Halfton in Ford | eBay Motors

Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
It sounds like you have the skills. If you need parts I am 50 miles east of SF in Brentwood 94513 and have access to Cabs, Beds. Also a buddy in Modesto has several parts trucks.
Excellent, I'm right around the corner in Fairfield. I've read a few threads in other FTE forums of folks doing cab off work in the garages. My problem is my driveway is rather sloped so it would be a real uphill battle. Maybe I could just take over the whole garage and let my wife deal with it.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
This just sold on ebay. Non-runner

Ford : F-100 Halfton in Ford | eBay Motors
Nice rig! I think this particular year and style is timeless. I sure hope my son feels this way 8 or 9 years from now if I do this.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 578 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by chetspencer
Excellent, I'm right around the corner in Fairfield. I've read a few threads in other FTE forums of folks doing cab off work in the garages. My problem is my driveway is rather sloped so it would be a real uphill battle. Maybe I could just take over the whole garage and let my wife deal with it.
I love that kind of talk!

Your son will have to fight you for it by the time you finish since you will have become so attch! LOL!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by spurredon
I love that kind of talk!

Your son will have to fight you for it by the time you finish since you will have become so attch! LOL!
Well he's 7 but has a strong mechanical interest, I've already taught him the quick and dirty rules and use of a metal lathe. He want's to be a Gunsmith.

This truck has been an off and on part of my entire life. It was originally my Great uncles who passed it down to my uncle and so I could do the hand off to my son which would make it 4 generations. I remember how it looked and ran 40 years ago (I'm 44) and it was a bad *** truck much of it's life.

If I take over the whole garage my wife would have to park her Cadillac CTS-V outside but it has almost 200k miles on it (Original LS6), so it's ready for the pasture anyways.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 839 Likes on 758 Posts
Go for it. Except for the roof, I'm driving my 86 that's in worse shape than that.
I see someone put a Holley 4v on it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any chance of saving this 1959 F100 4x4 Custom Cab rust bucket