1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Any chance of saving this 1959 F100 4x4 Custom Cab rust bucket

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spurredon
If you use a little PB Blaster, a little heat and a lot of patients, you can get the whole thing apart!
I noticed the bolts where cooperating with me when I was taking the fan belt off. A light coating of oil stuck on there for so many years. I'm sure the body parts and drive train will be a different story.

Any suggestions on how to clean the gas tanks. It has two.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 AM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
im glad you got it home. i will tell you that your idea of a rust bucket and mine are two different things. it seems to be pretty straight to me. as far as the tank goes if its bad i would call a local radiator shop and ask about flushing and sealing it. and it must have an aftermarket tank, i think the only factory tank would have been behind the seat. i will have a front axle rebuild thread soon for you to read. its gonna be scary so watch for it.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
glad to see you got it out of the ground. that is going to be one cool truck when finished up.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info and kind words, I wish I could have started wrenching this morning but have to go to a damn baseball game with the fam.
Just curious if you folks might have any idea how many '59 4x4's like this one exist today. I think I might and thats a big might, have seen a few in the bay Area over the years.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
"don't get too carried away" Yeah, right Buy a CASE of PB Blaster, because you're gonna buy a couple dozen before you're done. Fill your oxy-atcetylene tanks and get a fire extinguisher that works. I set mine on fire twice it took so much heat. For instance, I soaked the frozen gas pedal with pb for a week then finally gave up and heated it with the torch. Unfortunately I had been soaking the horse hair firewall pad as well. Went up like an old straw hat and all my patting and pounding wouldn't put it out, so I finally had to run for the fire extinguisher and fill the cab with white powder. Oh, and get a case of beer as well.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GB SISSON;1227ot quit enough8353
"don't get too carried away" Yeah, right Buy a CASE of PB Blaster, because you're gonna buy a couple dozen before you're done. Fill your oxy-atcetylene tanks and get a fire extinguisher that works. I set mine on fire twice it took so much heat. For instance, I soaked the frozen gas pedal with pb for a week then finally gave up and heated it with the torch. Unfortunately I had been soaking the horse hair firewall pad as well. Went up like an old straw hat and all my patting and pounding wouldn't put it out, so I finally had to run for the fire extinguisher and fill the cab with white powder. Oh, and get a case of beer as well.
Thanks for the warning. I've lit a few things on fire in the past, like a gas tank for my '42 *****'s Jeep. Not quit enough water in it.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
If you use a little PB Blaster, a little heat and a lot of patients, you can get the whole thing apart!
Now remember, I said A Lot of Patients! This old metal is worth the time and effort to save it! We all know what the new stuff is like!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Now remember, I said A Lot of Patients! This old metal is worth the time and effort to save it! We all know what the new stuff is like!
Now that the dust has settled a little in my garage, I'm thinking to myself...Where do I start. Kind of just want to get the motor up and running just for fun. I was getting 40 psi on the oil gauge when we were using the starter to move it off the trailer. The original horn works. My number one priority is to keep the War Dept off my back if ya know what I mean. So this will be a do it in baby steps operation.

1. Clean trash out of cab.
2. Clean engine bay up a bit.
3. Clean gas tanks.
4. See if motor will start.
5. Brake job. (Upgrade to power/disc?)
6. New Clutch hydraulics.
7. Replace missing radiator.
8. rebuild/replace Door latches.
9. Replace missing passenger side mirror.
10. Rebuild front Axle & Hubs.
11. New Tires.
12. Change all fluids.
13. Rebuild Carb.
14. Test Drive.

Last edited by chetspencer; 09-18-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Edit list
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by chetspencer
Now that the dust has settled a little in my garage, I'm thinking to myself...Where do I start. Kind of just want to get the motor up and running just for fun. I was getting 40 psi on the oil gauge when we were using the starter to move it off the trailer. The original horn works. My number one priority is to keep the War Dept off my back if ya know what I mean. So this will be a do it in baby steps operation.

1. Clean trash out of cab.
2. Clean engine bay up a bit.
3. Clean gas tanks.
4. See if motor will start.
5. Brake job. (Upgrade to power/disc?)
6. New Clutch hydraulics.
7. Replace missing radiator.
8. rebuild/replace Door latches.
9. Replace missing passenger side mirror.
10. Rebuild front Axle & Hubs.
11. New Tires.
12. Change all fluids.
13. Test Drive.
The first thing may be a baby step (if there isn't anything living up under the dash or above the head liner or down in the cab corners behind the seat), but the following items may be bigger than you think. You should add rebuild carb to that list for starters. Not that hard of a job to do and something that will have to be done before you are thru.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
The first thing may be a baby step (if there isn't anything living up under the dash or above the head liner or down in the cab corners behind the seat), but the following items may be bigger than you think. You should add rebuild carb to that list for starters. Not that hard of a job to do and something that will have to be done before you are thru.
Thanks, good point. The tags expired in 1998 so it's been sitting awhile. It's got a Holley 650 (I think) with vacuum secondaries. I used to rebuild them all the time when I was a kid.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:35 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Well, I am certainly not an expert, I have been corrected on several occasions but I still continue to try to help folks as best I can. The first thing is, it looks like your truck was originally not a 4X4! The first three letters of you VIN are F10! That is for two wheel drive. F11 was for four by four. The next letter is the engine code which looks to be a "C"! That would indicate a 292 V8. It looks like you have the original in there or something like it. Here's a fun link to look at about this subject. 1959 FORD F100 Information Specifications Resources Pictures There are many experts around here that can give you much more detail than I and they should be along soon. You really should get a Ford shop manual for the truck. They are a great resource. Here's an Ebay link for a paper copy:

1959 Ford Pickup Truck F Series Shop Service Repair Manual Engine Drivetrain | eBay

<TABLE class="li rsittlref" itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer" itemscope="" itemprop="offers" r="1"><TBODY itemtype="http://schema.org/Product" itemscope="" itemprop="itemOffered"><TR itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer" itemscope="" itemprop="offers"><TD class="pic lt"></TD><TD class=dtl>and a link for an electronic copy:
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-1959-Pi...8042cf&vxp=mtr
Ok so I ordered the book from ebay, thanks for the link. In the meantime I'm trying to get educated on the hydroVac power booster. It looks like its an option for my truck. Google is not being very helpful with my searches.

Brake Power Booster | 1959 Ford F100 1/2 ton P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders 4.8L 2BL OHV | AutoZone.com

Is this doable? If so where does this go? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Found this stuff Evapo-Rust

Think I'll just dip the whole truck in it and call it done. Well I'll just start with the gas tanks and go from there.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by chetspencer
Ok so I ordered the book from ebay, thanks for the link. In the meantime I'm trying to get educated on the hydroVac power booster. It looks like its an option for my truck. Google is not being very helpful with my searches.

Brake Power Booster | 1959 Ford F100 1/2 ton P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders 4.8L 2BL OHV | AutoZone.com

Is this doable? If so where does this go? Thanks in advance.
The '60 shop manual shows it under the cab bolted to the frame. Personally I have not seen one. I completely redid the brakes on my truck, new just about everything and they stop it great! Of course I am not cruising interstates and having to break under high speed. Once the standard brakes are rebuilt to specs. they seem to do a fine job just as they are. Of course, they are not disc and will take a little more distance to halt!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
I love the smell of heated PB Blaster in the morning.

Evaporust is some neat stuff but pretty spendy. Ive used it before one thing it does nice is clean up old rubber parts if they are not to worn out makes them look new again. Used it on the rubber gasket that my heater motor sits on.

Before pb

After pb

Rubber was cleaned with pb not painted

Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
My '54 GMC 3/4 ton has a frame mounted vacuum booster mounted by the PO. If anyone else drives it I have to tell them to watch out because the thing just flat out STOPS. Very little pedal effort. Feels like the old power brakes on big American luxury cars. He got it off a 2 ton dump truck. Because it's also a diesel conversion, he ran the booster with a vac pump from a diesel F250. At least the Jimmy has one FORD part on it.

Quick Reply: Any chance of saving this 1959 F100 4x4 Custom Cab rust bucket