Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Posting Guru

TheTinian is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheTinian is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Leaking exhaust manifolds

I recently bought this 01 F350 dually. Its had a noise since the day I bought it, but it never really effected anything so I let it go. Lately it has gotten worse. Boost and EGT is still ok, but MPGs has dropped and the noise has gotten louder. I was changing the oil today and found out where it was leaking. Almost the whole back side of the block is covered in soot. The old oil filter was black too. I did some research and seems its 50/50 to get the gaskets or get a new manifold. What kind of job am I in for? It looks like its going to be a pain in the ***, but I know if I go to a shop they will probably charge me alot more than I want to pay..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Posting Guru

JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Never done it but I am sure if you search the forum there will be info on it. I.know I.have seen people talk about it before.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Senior User

Edkajo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not meant to hyjack but I was just ready to post about what appears to be an exhaust type leak somewhere on my 03 7.3. It runs and idles fine. I thought it might be a bad manifold or gasket but I can't seem to locate it at idle or see any signs while having it revved in neutral. Did your's sound fine at idle and only have a putting sound while excellerating under load, almost like a bad exhaust tube sound in a gasser? Is there anything else on a 7.3 that you know of that could cause this type of sound? Again, very sorry, I just didn't want to ask something similar in a new thread.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
If I recall there are no gaskets in your exhaust. So new manifolds would be required.

Good opportunity to also get some up pipes to preven future leaks.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is a Dorman part that has both the gaskets and manifold with up pipe bolts and nuts. Part numbers 674746 (left) and 674745 (right).
I did find the gasket for the exhaust.
VICTOR REINZ Part # MS16314 ($14.42/pr), FEL-PRO Part # MS93489 ($18.56/pr), DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # EG4200 (20.99/pr). All of these numbers are for a set of gaskets. I am still looking for the bolts.

EDIT: Found the bolts (called exhaust manifold studs on rockauto). So much for being accurate the first time.

All items found on rockauto.com.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 09-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Elder User

SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.
You might call Clay and order these

Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03
Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
that is one major leak. sure it aint where the up pipe bolts on to the manifold. In regards to the gasket, I have used one and would not do it again. The gasket crept and started to leak again. You can have your manifold matting surface machined flat which will give you the seal you need. But I would be surprised if that is the case with that much soot.
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
x2 i have read where the gaskets dont hold to good, i would put new or machine it flat.
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Posting Guru

TheTinian is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheTinian is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edkajo View Post
Not meant to hyjack but I was just ready to post about what appears to be an exhaust type leak somewhere on my 03 7.3. It runs and idles fine. I thought it might be a bad manifold or gasket but I can't seem to locate it at idle or see any signs while having it revved in neutral. Did your's sound fine at idle and only have a putting sound while excellerating under load, almost like a bad exhaust tube sound in a gasser? Is there anything else on a 7.3 that you know of that could cause this type of sound? Again, very sorry, I just didn't want to ask something similar in a new thread.

Mine sounds perfectly normal under 10lbs boost .... 10-11 lbs or more is when I can hear it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder View Post
that is one major leak. sure it aint where the up pipe bolts on to the manifold.

I thought about that, maybe Ill fix the uppipes first and see if its still leaking. And thanks everyone else for the replies, Im not looking forward to doings manifolds..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Because racetruck

duck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud ofduck fan has much to be proud of
Don't buy new manifolds. Don't buy gaskets. Remove yours, take them to the local machine shop and have them machined flat and them reinstall them. Its not too terrible of a job. Jack up the front end of the truck. Put some jackstands under it. Remove the front wheels and then the fenderliners. Manifolds will be right in front of you. Its even easier than it sounds,

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/89...eak-fixed.html

Peter - NHRDA# 5078
2000 Excursion 7.3 - Lots of parts SOLD 2/2014
1997 F350 CCLB 4wd 7.3 PSD
1996 F250 XCab LB 4wd 7.3 PSD
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Elder User

ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.
What DuckFan says. I had mine machined, then pulled the driver's side off again and installed a FelPro gasket, as I wasn't sure it was sealing well. Neither side has leaked again, and I'm not sure the gasket was necessary.

Mark
2001 Excursion 4x4, Western Diesel gauges, custom tunes, T500, ATS housing, TM wastegate controller, 6637, MBRP 4" exhaust, 6.0 tranny cooler, BTS, BFG AT 275/70-18's, Red Head steering box, Hellwig sway bar, v-codes/AirLift bags
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel