Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Senior User

chamblizi is starting off with a positive reputation.
400m oil disappearing, every now and then.

hey phil, here My oil is disappearing a little bit on some days.... she is not visually burning oil from the exhuast, but i think she is burning oil.... by the looks of it i get smoke from my engine valve covers... when the pcv valve is pulled so, i was debating on calling her a rap at tax time this year around....

What would be a great buy for to replace my engine with around 700 bucks...

I am swapping the engine my self so i am looking for something basic.

i want to keep a 400 for her mpg.... and just bulk the new engine up before dropping it in.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Freshman User

parts4me is starting off with a positive reputation.
Use some common sense man. Smoke from the valve cover gaskets would indicate that is where you are loosing your oil.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parts4me View Post
Use some common sense man. Smoke from the valve cover gaskets would indicate that is where you are loosing your oil.

my valve cover gaskets are new been there done that... that is not what is causing the leak now.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Freshman User

If they are "new" then smoke shouldn't be coming from them, did you use a sealant when you put them in?
I don't understand why you remove the pcv valve.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parts4me View Post
If they are "new" then smoke shouldn't be coming from them, did you use a sealant when you put them in?
I don't understand why you remove the pcv valve.
I never removed it,Let me rephrase when I "PULL IT" out of the valve cover, it releases smoke. I believe they are smog heads. You are miss reading what i am posting once again. I don't use sealants either for this particular job they must be "SEALS" built for this job and tightened down to the "MANUFACTURES" Specifications, No more, no less. Sealing a thermostat housing with RTV is ok but "SEALING A VALVE COVER" with sealant is not good. I don't want leaks from my valve cover or my cylinder head oil galley getting plugged by dry peices of RTV in the long run. Cork is the best that can be bought for a old engine. It allow wear over time to be applied evenly without leaks vs rubber gaskets which chip up and fall apart and allow leaks when its seal is upset.

I prefer Cork over rubber gaskets in valve covers and for transmission pan seals. Rubber is the only way to go for oil pans cause its torque specs are said to be higher.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamblizi View Post
I never removed it,Let me rephrase when I "PULL IT" out of the valve cover, it releases smoke. I believe they are smog heads. You are miss reading what i am posting once again. I don't use sealants either for this particular job they must be "SEALS" built for this job and tightened down to the "MANUFACTURES" Specifications, No more, no less. Sealing a thermostat housing with RTV is ok but "SEALING A VALVE COVER" with sealant is not good. I don't want leaks from my valve cover or my cylinder head oil galley getting plugged by dry peices of RTV in the long run. Cork is the best that can be bought for a old engine. It allow wear over time to be applied evenly without leaks vs rubber gaskets which chip up and fall apart and allow leaks when its seal is upset.

I prefer Cork over rubber gaskets in valve covers and for transmission pan seals. Rubber is the only way to go for oil pans cause its torque specs are said to be higher.
You are saying cork gaskets are better than rubber ones? OKAY.
When I replaced my valve covers I used a sealant on the rubber gaskets, that is the way to do it.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline