1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just rolled over my truck in snow storm

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Ford are best
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just rolled over my truck in snow storm

HI- I am new to this forum, I hope that someone can give me some advice on my 2004 F 250 Diesel. I just rolled it over in a snow storm and I am concerned about trying to start the truck after it was put back on its wheels. Do I have to do anything to the engine before I try to start it , after I change the engine oil? I have had this truck for several years and I dont know too much about the diesel.

thanks Ron

Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
tryingaford
Freshman User
Holy Crap!!!!

Can't help you with the technical stuff, but sounds like you're OK. How'd the truck fare?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Ford are best
Freshman User
the truck is in bad shape, top caved in , drivers side dented , windshield broke, back glass busted out, drivers door glass busted out, box denteded, and I am upset.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
TravisG
Junior User
Glad ur ok!!! Reallu tho. Check the oil and if its still full hit the key... my question is, why the need to start it? Sounds pretty bad. Or are u wanting to part it?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are ok and unhurt.
Let the truck sit for a couple of days after it gets right side up and you should be ok to start it up. To be on the safe side, turn over the engine with a socket and breaker bar to avoid any potential hydrolock issues. A couple complete revolutions should be fine.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Ford are best
Freshman User
I was told by the wrecker driver not to try to start it because the engine oil could have drained into the cylinders and would bend the rods if the piston had no where to go. He said I may have to remove the injectors before trying to start it.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is why shake said to let it sit for a few days. Let the oil work its way back down. Key Off, take a socket and large ratchet, and using the crank pully nut, spin the motor over a few times with the ratchet, make sure you turn the crank all the way around a few times. "Do not use the starter" If it spins all the way around 3 or 4 times free, you should be good. you will know if it locks up if you cant turn it anymore. Then yes, i think you can just pull the glow plugs if i remember I may be wrong.. someone will correct me..

I'm glad your ok. Trucks can be replaced..

Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
any pics of truck
just curious

Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
U probably have more severe damage. I would let it be and let the body shop deal with the repair. The insurance co will not pay for anything you do after the wrecker has unhooked it. Have it towed to the body shop of your choice.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
Glad your ok. From what I've seen the cab doesn't hold up well to the weight of these beasts.

I would definately have the key off before turning the motor with any tool. The truck is likely totaled why start it?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Been said already. But if your in a hurry pull the glow plugs and
DON'T put you hands or any other body part in the way when you crank it.
If there is any oil in the cylinders it will come out at a very high force
that can hurt or blind you. Also use a remote starter with the key off.
You will find the line to the starter here

Just use a lot of care and maker sure anyone standing around has
safety glasses on.

Sean

Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Glad your ok. From what I've seen the cab doesn't hold up well to the weight of these beasts.

I would definately have the key off before turning the motor with any tool. The truck is likely totaled why start it?

I'd like to know as well. As long as everyone's ok, I'd let the body shop/insurance deal with it at this point.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Just leave it alone and let the body shop deal with it. If you damage an engine, you get to buy a new one. If the body shop damages the engine, the insurance company gets to buy a new one.

That assumes, of course, that the truck will get repaired. With the damages you listed, I suspect you will not be getting your truck back, but will instead be getting a check.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
How long was it on its side or roof?

We have flipped vehicles back over that have sat for up to 5 hours and started them right up. You get past 4-5 hours and like mentioned there may be to much oil above the piston(s).

Its is also possible that oil got into the intake system via evac, egr stuff, or other similar breather systems. If there isn't oil in the cylinders there may be oil in the intake and as soon as the engine fires it will pull this oil in and can hydro the motor as well.

Personally if the truck sat upside down long enough I would do like mentioned and pull the glow plugs and turn the motor over a few times. I would also pull the cold side intercooler pipe going to the motor. After firing the engine I would let it run for awhile and even rev it or drive it some with the pipe off to see if any oil starts coming out of it (sign of oil in intake system). This is all assuming the 6.0 can be ran and driven with the intercooler pipe off, most motors can be ran, some can't. Your intercooler can hold lots and lots of oil if it decided to get in there somehow. If any amount comes out of the pipe while running I would pull the intercooler and dump it out.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Ford are best
Freshman User
It was on its top for about 2-3 hours. A considerable amount of oil was runing down the fender on the outside after they got it back on its wheels.

Quick Reply: Just rolled over my truck in snow storm