1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hello from Alabama.NEW member.. UPDATED WITH PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from Alabama.NEW member.. UPDATED WITH PICS!

Hello guys. I'm new here and would like to find some help with my latest truck. It's a '49 F1 with a 239 flathead and 3 sp tranny. Mostly all original. It was so called restored 30 years ago but they obviously arent as picky as I am because the resto looks like a backyard deal. I have had many old ford trucks but never an F1. Mine were mainly 54-56 and 65-66 F100's. So I apologize for the many questions.....and I have more...lol. I do all my own work so I'm looking forward to doing the few things this truck needs to finish it off. I'll post some pics of it later. Thanks for all the help ahead of time..

F1 Questions I have.
1. can I find a used hood
2. is there a way to make the hood latch mechanism better...mine pops open on bumps
3. what is the front cross member under the hood (bolted to hood) for and can it be replaced
4. best way to lower the truck to get it to sit similar to this one...

5. any supplier for hidden tow hitches for light towing
6. which flathead engines need lead fuel additive and how do I know. Previous owner said he messed up the stock engine by not adding lead. So he bought a later model 239 from a friend.
7. Best source of info to get truck to 12v THE RIGHT WAY
8. How are the grill bars attached?
9. Can someone show me an exploded view of the front of the truck so I can see what unbolts where....previous owner painted over gaps so everything is stuck together.

ps...no internet in my town...duh...so is there a mobile app I can use to post and read your responses on my phone?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Welcome to FTE from a fellow neighbor. I'm not familiar enough to give you advise in the F-1's but there are many here who I'm sure can offer their assistance. Sounds like your quite accustom to the build process with your past projects. This is a great group of members with an enormous amount of resources both written and collectively among the members.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 760 Likes on 371 Posts
Welcome to FTE, a great bunch of guys with lots of knowledge. And then there are people like me that can't even get my engine to start.

I immediately clicked on the picture link and thought, don't touch anything on that beauty. Then I read your posts. Have I ever said we love pictures?

There are hoods out there, shipping will be a bear.
Here is one, but I don't know the exact year...
USED 48-50 FORD PICKUP HOOD 1948 1949 1950 LOCAL PICKUP ONLY FOR PARTS READ AD | eBay
Here is one on our classifieds section I'm not sure what all Scott has left, but he is a stand up guy.:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rts-f1-f6.html
Classic Haulers is a great site for parts for your model: Classic Haulers F-1 Parts - Home

There is a mobile version of the app, If you go to the site on your phone it should prompt you. I never use it since I'm always close to a computer.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
F1 Questions I have.
They are out there. You can post a wanted ad in the classifieds on FTE.

2. is there a way to make the hood latch mechanism better...mine pops open on bumps
Sounds like it just needs adjusted (someone else may know how, I haven't gotten that far on mine).

3. what is the front cross member under the hood (bolted to hood) for and can it be replaced
I think you are referring to the radiator cowling which keeps air flowing through the radiator instead of over it. They can be found used.

That truck probably has IFS and IRS. See info on Jag swaps.

Don't think so. You'll have to fab it.

6. which flathead engines need lead fuel additive and how do I know. Previous owner said he messed up the stock engine by not adding lead. So he bought a later model 239 from a friend.
Pretty sure they all need lead additive or hardened seats installed.

7. Best source of info to get truck to 12v THE RIGHT WAY See below.

I don't know, mine were gone.

9. Can someone show me an exploded view of the front of the truck so I can see what unbolts where....previous owner painted over gaps so everything is stuck together.
There is a diagram floating around here, someone will probably point you to it.

ps...no internet in my town...duh...so is there a mobile app I can use to post and read your responses on my phone?
Don't know, I have a dumb phone.

Many questions you have or will have are covered here.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Welcome to the forum. It is a great resource.

It would help if you posted where you are from as someone in the area may have some leads on the parts you need.

LMC has a great catalog for free and it is a great resource for exploded diagrams of various assemblies.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fa/t.aspx?Page=22

On the grill bars, mine look like they were spotwelded to the outer headlight panels.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
WARDNEAL
Junior User
Welcome, I have a 49 F1 v8 239 3 on the tree.

I am working on the bed on mine. Can't help you with the front end.

But will be watching your progress.

Neal

Last edited by WARDNEAL; 08-31-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
BIG PIG DADDY, what a beautiful truck you have.What color red is that?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Thanks for the replies so far. For some reason I couldn't get the image link to show up in the post so I put the regular link. I live in Cuba, Alabama.
Smitty: where ya from?
BIG: I've taken the lower latch panel down to bare metal to refinish and adjust... No luck. Taking upper off tomorrow.
Ward: I also have the bed wood out and am renewing that whole project. Wasn't converted correctly so I'm gonna.

Can someone give me an educated guess on the truck pic I posted as to amount lowered?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by HILLBILLY BOB
BIG PIG DADDY, what a beautiful truck you have.What color red is that?
Ha Ha! I wish that was mine. I was just posting the pic that did not show up for Wayne.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Wayne,
Welcome Aboard! Our 1950 F1 truck below has a Mustang II IFS with - No drop spindles. This lowered the stock truck about 5 inches in the front. Judging from your red truck pic - I'd say they dropped it another 3 or 4 inches up front. The back of the truck is pretty low too - airbags?

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin

Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:50 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Welcome to FTE. If, by grill bars, you mean the stainless strips, they are attached with clips that are bolted to the grille bars with retaining nuts on the back. On the other hand, if you are talking about the bars of the grille they are spot welded to the rest of the grille from the factory.

Your hood latch mechanism is probably out of adjustment. You can probably eliminate the hood popping open with an adjustment.

My 48 shown below has an IFS and the rear end has been moved above the springs. I think this dropped both the front and rear about 4-5 inches. It's not super low but it is as low as I wanted it for the roads I drive on...

Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by

F1 Questions I have.
image can be seen here [url
www.waynewaldrep.com/picturehosting/f1.jpg[/url]

7. Best source of info to get truck to 12v THE RIGHT WAY

Hey Wayne... greetings from your Northern neighbor.. I'm John...reside in Hueytown, Al. About 15 miles SW of B'ham. I'll bet I'm the only one on FTE that knows where Cuba is. Our family used to own a plantation down there a hundred years ago (and no Bobby... I wasn't around then).. Work with a good buddy that is from your 'hood' actually Epes... Bout the only question I can help you with is the hitch (I'm a 53 guy) I searched high and low and couldn't find a suitable bolt on so I bought as close as possible and did a 'field fit' adjustment... here's a link to the article I did on it...

installing a trailer hitch in a '53 f-100

probably not much help but you might see something useful. It was a bear to fit it between the rear mounted tank and the roll pan. I had to leave one shoehorn in it.

there's lots of your vintage builders on here and can guide you with your questions... there is no better site or group of people on the internet. Your severely hampered with no internet... there is a ton of info out there...vendors with great sites and infomation just for a click... you'll just have to use the phone and talk a lot. When I started my truck this forum was an email list and I was like you except there was very little on what internet there was... it's so much easier now. Good luck and keep us posted and if you get up to Hueytown let me know and we'll swap lies.

You might as well go on and post pics... even if it's a picture of the barn the truck is in... these guys love pictures... heck... they'll go crazy with a picture of your dog(s) cows... mailbox... a lugnut laying on the ground... it's that much of an addiction..

later
John

Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome Wayne!

On question 6 (collect them all!) - the smart folk here have generally suggested that unleaded fuel is just fine for the flat heads. I try to listen to the smart folk.

Question 9 - the front end sheet metal and grill is the most complicated and over engineered collection of steel parts,bolts, and nuts on the truck. It is often best to take the front clip (fenders - both inner and outer, grill, and front valance - where the FORD letters are attached) off as a single unit. Getting to all the oddly placed blot locations for the grill and fenders is much easier if you don't have to shrink and defy gravity.

Happy Motoring!

DW

Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome Wayne. Glad you found FTE. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your project!

Old 09-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
I will get some pics up this week and also share a little more info. I've enjoyed all these responses and look forward to more. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Hello from Alabama.NEW member.. UPDATED WITH PICS!