Problems with DVD Player in 2003 Exp.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:34 PM
nadmik
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with DVD Player in 2003 Exp.

Hello,

New to this site and new to my brand new ford expedition. Less than 300 miles..man this is one nice SUV.

Anyway, I got the Eddie Bauer with the DVD system. The DVD player plays fine when you use a 'non-copied' DVD.

However, when I try to play a DVD that I copied(backed up) using DVD XCopy, I get a herky jerky kind of playback. The sound does not come thru at all and again the picture skips throughout the movie...somtimes just a blue screen. Blue screen?...maybe it's a Microsoft DVD player ha!

Anyway, can someone tell me why this might be happening? And can someone tell me who the manufacturer is of the DVD player?

I've tried different media...TDK and Fuji and it skips on both.

Yes, I could just use the original DVD in the SUV, but I would rather have the copy with me on the road. If it gets stolen or damaged..at least I would have the original at home. As you know these things are expensive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

nadmik

Old 10-01-2003, 09:47 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
I've had a similiar problem with CD-R's in my Alpine CD player. The write speed might have something to do with it. Try burning the copy at a slow speed (maybe 10X) and see if that helps. It will take alot longer to burn copies but some players just can't read the high speed copies. Hope that helps.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:08 PM
nadmik
New User
Triton_2002,

Thanks for your quick response.

Since DVD burners are pretty new...mine can only burn at 2x speed. I'm checking out DVD software forums and they seem to be pointing to the 'burn' engine of the DVD software.

Thanks again.

Dan

Old 10-02-2003, 07:11 AM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
The DVD player in the truck is not DVD-r.rw compatable.
I have 3 at home that are not also. My new dell has a 4X dvd burner and I can't use because nothing will play the dvd's back.
Same thing happened when Cd-r's came out.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:01 PM
nadmik
New User
PrPlayBoy,

Thanks for your input. Never thought it might be the DVD-R media I was using.

Do you think if I try DVD+R or DVD+RW or DVD-RW one of these types of media will work? My Sony DVD burner will burn all 4 types of media.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Old 10-09-2003, 09:01 AM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
The sony dvd burner is top of the line right now. I have one in my Dell. bet you got it for about $250. lol
I have tried DVD+R and +RW with no luckin my truck. You know there is even DVD Ram now as a DVD format? Geez when r they gonna call it enough!

I doubt the player will play R or RW media

Old 10-13-2003, 01:09 PM
nadmik
New User
Thanks again for your reply.

The funny thing about this DVD player in my truck is that it did play a DVD-R disc I burned using Sonic DVD creator.

I'm guessing the burn engine of DVD XCOPY and XCOPY XPress is the culprit here. .

I think I'll try the +r.rw anyway...see what happens.

Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:19 PM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
You might have a point there. The sonic dvd creator is for making your own dvd's not copying a dvd. It has to be something with the decoding.
I haven't made a dvd with my sonic yet. I also have roxio dvd maker.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:35 PM
texasdivegirl
New User
dvd player in Expedition

Hey there,

I found your thread during my endless search to find the reason for my dvd playback problems in my Expedition. I also have a 2003 which I bought new in October (Don't ya just love yours?), & I'm having exactly the same problem that you have had. I just bought a burner & software, & am trying to get dvd backups made with XCopy Platinum to play. They play perfectly everywhere but the Expedition. Before I bought the burner, I tested one of my brother's backup dvds & it worked fine, so I know that it is possible to find the right combination. He used XCopy platinum in Advanced mode & copied onto a Memorex dvd+r disc. I tried exactly this, but the best I've been able to get is a jerky copy with no audio. Most of the time, they won't play at all. I've tried dvd-R and dvd+RW as well. Have you had any luck? Any small tidbit of advice might make all the difference to me. I've put so much time into this, & I feel like I'm thiiiis close. Please help if you can!

Old 02-10-2004, 02:38 PM
jschuenke
New User
I have the same issue with my 2004 Expedition. Has anybody figured out if there is a way to make the backup DVDs from DVD x copy work?

Old 02-10-2004, 05:25 PM
elt449
Junior User
Question?

Why in the HE-double toothpicks would anyone want a DVD/TV or any type of Vidio equiptment in their vehicle? Aren't you supposed to be concentrating on the road ?

Maybe for the children in the back, that I can digest. If it's in the front though, please don't drive with in a 100 miles of me, it's bad enough I have to listen to the wife bitching @ me about my driving let alone worry about people watching TV while they are driving

Just curious!

Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 AM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
Originally posted by elt449
Question?

Why in the HE-double toothpicks would anyone want a DVD/TV or any type of Vidio equiptment in their vehicle? Aren't you supposed to be concentrating on the road ?

Maybe for the children in the back, that I can digest. If it's in the front though, please don't drive with in a 100 miles of me, it's bad enough I have to listen to the wife bitching @ me about my driving let alone worry about people watching TV while they are driving

Just curious!
The dvd system comes in the center of the roof liner. It is imposible to watch it while driving unless you have an abnormally long neck and can drive with the seat lying down.

In doing research on dvd back ups it apears that some dvd players have issues with brands of media they play. I have got my old dvd players to play Memorex dvd+r with no problems. I have memorex and fuji film so I will be trying those in the truck soon.

The best way to burn a dvd is at the slowest speed your burner can go. Mine can burn at 1X but I'm using Nero 6.3 and it's slowest speed is 2.4X. I have burned at 4X before but on a few i had problems. On 1X I've had no problems at all. DVD X copy Platnium is the only all in one soft ware out right now so it's not a soft ware issue and burners rarely are the cause of promlems. What we have to find out is if the stock dvd unit plays dvd+r or dvd-r then which brands works.

Oh and yes the brand makes a difference.
Let me know if you gus have any questions on backing up your dvd investment. I know a thing or two about that also........

Old 02-11-2004, 01:12 PM
texasdivegirl
New User
I don't think the problem for me is the brand or type of dvd used. The dvd that played perfectly was +R Memorex, burned in advanced mode using x-copy Platinum, which I have duplicated many times with no luck. The only variable that changed was the burner type, so that must be it. Although I bought an Iomaga Superburner to avoid formatting problems (it burns & plays all), there must be something about it that's causing the problem. Oh, and of course the dvd player is for the kids- it's an option in many new vehicles and probably the best option on my Expedition because it keeps the kids happy and occupied.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:16 PM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
What speed was the dvd burned at? What speed r u burning the disks at.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:27 PM
elt449
Junior User
If i may ask this. What ever happened to actual interaction with the kids? So many people these days choose to sit a child in front of a vidio game, TV and such rather than occupy a childs mind with pertinant things like conversation.

We as children learned by doing and watching adults, adults that spent time with us, talking, showing, teaching, NOT a TV.

I must be lost in time someplace. My daughter grew up to respect me and my wife because we actualy treated her like a human, gave her chores and rules to which she followed. There was no vidio's or DVD's or anything of the sort unless she did her chores.

"I am not knocking anyones parenting skills!" I am however wondering what has happened to our children and I am learning that they are coddled, waited on hand to mouth and given things that franckly should be left to adults.

"The opinions expressed above are those of one person who through discussions with others has found that children need more adult interaction and less electronic toy's."

Quick Reply: Problems with DVD Player in 2003 Exp.