6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New engine in, dpf gone..WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Thanks guys! I called my dealer and there are 2 different part numbers for '08 trucks. The newest number is the same as on the '10s, so I ordered one and it will be here Tuesday. Will try it out. Thanks again!
That will correct the problem, at least id did mine.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you. Will let you guys know next week. The way this truck runs now, has really gotten to me. Making me second guess my decidion to leave my'10 F350 stock. I only have 17k miles on her now, and I know I would threaten the warranty, but dang it would be so much better!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
couple questions for you guys.

I have a 2008 Job 3 truck. I am installing an H&S Tuner and this Diamond Eye 4" DPF "Race Kit"l
08-10 Diamond Eye Ford Power Stroke 4" DPF Race Pipe Kit No/Bungs (2 Pieces) AL | eBay
to my understanding, it will be deleting the DPF and the Cat.
Am i going to have to get an AFE intake or similar in order to avoid getting messages about air issues?
Also, my truck is still under the factory power train warranty. If anything ever goes wrong, and I return the truck back to stock, will Ford be able to tell by scanning the ECU that the truck was ever tuned/modified?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
couple questions for you guys.

I have a 2008 Job 3 truck. I am installing an H&S Tuner and this Diamond Eye 4" DPF "Race Kit"l
08-10 Diamond Eye Ford Power Stroke 4" DPF Race Pipe Kit No/Bungs (2 Pieces) AL | eBay
to my understanding, it will be deleting the DPF and the Cat.
Am i going to have to get an AFE intake or similar in order to avoid getting messages about air issues?
Also, my truck is still under the factory power train warranty. If anything ever goes wrong, and I return the truck back to stock, will Ford be able to tell by scanning the ECU that the truck was ever tuned/modified?
We ended up having to go with an AFE dry filter to stop the filter minder tripping. As far as the warranty, I'll let others tell you about that, but from what I understand, there is not an untraceable program out there if the traveling Ford techs get involved.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
They (Ford) will be able to tell a tuned truck

Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why you wait until warranty is up.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
there must be a way to clear the ECU back to stock settings. what about putting a different ECU in?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
there must be a way to clear the ECU back to stock settings. what about putting a different ECU in?
This is a subject of much debate on this forum. Since no one else answered I will give it a go. The warranty says if the non ford part fails or causes a ford part to fail the warranty is void. There is a lot of room there and dealers seem to have a good bit of latitude unless it gets to the really expensive stuff. Then ford gets involved and they seem to take a stricter view. I'm saying all this based on four years on this forum and things reported here. Of course if you have a local dealer who is "mod friendly" you're still screwed if the failure occurs out of the area.

I deleted 18 months from my warranty end and have never regretted it. But it is a crap shoot as there are some very pricey things that can go wrong with these trucks and I can't see anyone proving the tuner did not cause them. Perhaps a case could be made for a fuel system failure, but then they will find water in the system and void the warranty for that.

I've not heard that they ever went after anyone for fraud for making a warranty claim while hiding a tuner, but they could. That's what it is, fraud plain and simple. I don't think they would as they are still in the business of selling trucks. Personally, having been raised by Roy Rogers, I couldn't look them in the eye if I did it. But, based on all the stuff I've read on here I would say that if they care to look hard enough they will find sufficient evidence to void you. For sure, any tech with a lick of sense will be able to tell that the DPF was tampered with. Just no way to hide those marks and no way to account for them except removing the DPF. How deep they look is probably related to how expensive the blown item is or how the tech's day is going. I think a good rule of thumb is that if one can't take a hard financial hit they would be best advised to keep a 6.4L under warranty. Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Agreed. You can't delete the dpf without scratching up the clamps.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 AM
bigjr2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe its just me i might have selective reading but the biggest problems and most expensive ones I have seen here seem to have deletes in there signatures Im keeping mine stock almost 70,000 on her and knock on wood no real problems yet yeah silly stuff. I keep reading here and almost tempted to trade her in take the bath and go 6.2

Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
My issues were always dpf related. Sensors mostly. I took mine off when I hit the 4th year of the truck with one year left on warranty. I just drove from Seattle to Portland and had 20.4 MPG. Hand calculated. Kinda enjoyed it. How much warranty is left?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Go to a 6.2 what? If it's diesel it will have the same technology. Except I think either GM or Dodge have a ninth injector which SHOULD reduce the amount of oil dilution.

I deleted because I just couldn't get my head around how nasty the motor oil was. I had no problems other than diluted oil. I've been a shade tree mechanic since 1957 and I just know that the diluted oil can not be good for the motor. Plus, it just runs sooooo much better. I can remember exactly how it sounded the first time I started it without the DPF. It was like the truck had recovered from a nasty illness and was now at full strength. I just loved it.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
bigjr2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking of the new 6.2 gasser I guess my biggest thing is I have no idea where to start with the delete I can change oil and filters but thats about as good as I got with this thing so far I did put the little valve on my oil drain to drain some out between changes and add fresh in. But like Ive said here before reading here scares the heck out of me with this motor LOL.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bigjr2
I was thinking of the new 6.2 gasser I guess my biggest thing is I have no idea where to start with the delete I can change oil and filters but thats about as good as I got with this thing so far I did put the little valve on my oil drain to drain some out between changes and add fresh in. But like Ive said here before reading here scares the heck out of me with this motor LOL.
The hardest part of deleting is paying for the tuner. Then you get your neighbor or brother in law to do the work in exchange for some cold beers and ribs. As to the gasser, if it meets your needs a gasser should always be cheaper to operate than a diesel. my trailer is just too heavy for a gasser. Next year I think it is, they have to start taking weight off these trucks. I haven't heard much about it yet but unless we close down the EPA it's gonna happen. The most weight is of course in the engine. Will they start removing engine weight and reducing power? I wonder.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
i was always under the impression that diesel's are cheaper to operate, while under warranty at least, than gas trucks. I don't do much pullin with my f350, but i still think I get better fuel mileage with a diesel motor than i would if I had a gas one.

Quick Reply: New engine in, dpf gone..WOW!