Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM
New User

corey.melancon is starting off with a positive reputation.
2011 Upfitter Switches

While waiting out Hurricane Isaac I deciede to install a set of PIAA 520 lights...

After reading several threads about using the upfitter switches I have a couple of questions:
  1. If I understand the previous threads on the subject, attach the appropriate #1 upfitter wire (under the dash & next to the Emergency Brake) to a pass through wire into the engine bay. Once this is done, this wire passed through back into the engine bay becomes the power on switch for the lights?
  2. How do I wire into the fuse box/relays under the hood to get the 30 amp feed?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
The #1 upfitter puts out a fused 25A (**). All you need to do is to wire that to your lamps, and ground the other leg.

If you need more than 25A (**), then you need to tap power from somewhere else and use a relay. For anything over 25A, my preference would be to wire directly to the battery.

But be careful with those pass-through wires, because they are not equal in size to the upfitter output wires. For 25A, pass your own #10 wire through the firewall.

I don't think you need more than 25A, but if you do, Google the proper wire size for the current needed.

I don't think you need this either, but if you ever do need to tap the fuse block, these work:
Click the image to open in full size.

(**) Edit: I said 30A, but for a 2011 switch #1 and #2 are actually only 25A.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
New User

I am completely ignorant when it comes to electrical wiring..

Simply put:
  1. Run a #10 wire through the fire wall (into the engine bay) that is attached to the #1 upfitter switch wire.
  2. Run that #10 to the hot side of the light.
  3. Ground the light.
and then it should work???
fficeffice" />>>
Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Yes, correct. Your only concern is that the lights combined don't draw more than 25A, but if they do, the worst that will happen is the upfitter fuse will blow.

On edit: I checked your owners manual, and switch #1 and #2 are only 25A for a 2011. Earlier years they had a 30A rating.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
New User

Works great, thanks for the help!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM