Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Senior User

djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looking to Purchase a Floor Jack

Does anyone locally have a floor jack (rated 2.5 tons or higher) they want to sell?

If not, I am open to recommendations on a local/online place to purchase a well built jack.

Thanks.

David
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Harbor Freight.

I have this one and it works fine. They have a wide selection.
Heavy Duty 3 Ton Floor Jack with Rapid Pump

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
<--Miss You Big Fella

bryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to behold
It's been awhile, maybe 10 years, but I got mine at Sears. Came with 6 ton jack stands. IIRC about a c-note for it all.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Harbor Freight.

I have this one and it works fine. They have a wide selection.
Heavy Duty 3 Ton Floor Jack with Rapid Pump

Don't forget to bring the ubiquitus 20%off coupon!
2000 Excursion XLT V10 4x4 170K, front V's + 2'' level mini-pack, rear mod'd C's,, 315's, winch bumpers F/R, Viair system, Piaa lighting, Hellwig sent to GermanMike, dual Optimas, oily K&N, RedHeaded, scratchy paint, love taps at each corner.

Join the So Cal chapter here
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Senior User

djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.
Settled on the Arcan 3.25 ton from Costco for $105.

I paid a bit more than I might have paid at other places but I am hoping Costco's policy of standing by their products will be there in case I need it.

I saw so many examples of the Craftsman jacks leaking after 1-2 years that I stayed away even though the 4 ton is on sale for $94.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
<--Miss You Big Fella

bryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to beholdbryyce62 is a splendid one to behold
Can't go wrong with any Costco purchase.
Now that you mention it, my Craftsman jack has leaked the last couple times I used it.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Click the image to open in full size.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 AM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Scratch that. 1.5 tons aint enough!
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
Scratch that. 1.5 tons aint enough!
Not for a SD it's not. But if you keep a watch out, they will have the 3 ton for about the same price. That is about the price I paid less than a year ago for the 3T.

Be aware though, the ubiquitous 20% coupon excludes floor jacks and compressors.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
Awhile back Craftsman got into the 'lets hit a price point with something from china' game to compete with the discount shops instead of building something solid. The cylinders are pressed parts from china, and the seals are not serviceable.

The only bright side is that they don't change the design very often, and the sales clerk isn't likely to look at the older version of the label if you were to return it in the box that your brand new 3 ton jack came in.... (Had one fail after 3 months... didn't want to have to make the return / exchange at the original store on the opposite coast.)

The budget jacks from most places are decent for home use. Occasionally used 'service' grade jacks pop up on CL or other places, but they're either beat up... or still cost a bit if someone knows what they have. Bright side is that there's a good chance they just need o-rings and a coat of paint.

F250 2WD Crew w/ ISSpro guages, 6637 intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, Riffraff High Pressure Crossover, Garrett Power Max BB turbo, Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors and DP tuner. Thanks to Clay at Riffraff. Update: 6.0 oil cooler, John Woods transmission, etc...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Senior User

As an update, the Arcan 3.25 ton floor jack from Costco did fine recently when lifting the front of my truck.

I needed to insert a jack stand under the passenger side axle and the best jack point seems to be pretty close to the center of the front axle, seemingly meaning that I am lifting the entire front of my truck with the jack.

For reference, my truck and its utility bed weigh about 9,500 lbs (based on a reading at a local Cat scale).
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Getting into this late, but here is my thinking on it:

If I needed another floor jack, I would seek out the largest tool repair place around, especially one specializing in the repair of hydraulic stuff, and buy an old, quality, American-made unit that's been fully rebuilt by them.

It will likely be pricey, but you can bet it will be reliable.

My old Matco is probably fifty years old, but it's still got all the quality that American stuff used to have.

Old stuff rules......

Pop
(old)
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter