6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Do's and Do Not's

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM
1badcj8
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.0 Do's and Do Not's

Hey guys, I had started a thread over in the SuperDuty and Heavy Duty forum and ended up asking a few things about 6.0's along with V-10's. Well being that I have decide to replace my current PSD 7.3 with a six-o I thought I would ask you guys for some does and don't on the recommendation of Crazy001.

I have had my 7.3 chipped on tow mode for about 100K and have always loved it. It seems so much more maintenance free after reading a bit around these parts on 6.0's. SO I don't want to do anything that will hurt my new (used) 6.0.

I'm wondering , of course, about chipping it. I wouldn't ever use it over tow mode but do they make a big difference for the 6.0? It did for sure on my 7.3. How about 4" exhaust. And this "blue spring" upgrade I've read about here. I really cant think about what other things (just finished my 12hr shift at work) so just all of this type of stuff.

As always I very much appreciate all in put. By the way the 6.0 I'm looking at is an '04 Crew/Dually/King Ranch, with 103 on it, sweet truck.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
metmop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok lets start with the basic. THe blue spring is more a ford recommended update. It raises fuel pressure coming out of the pressure regulator by a few lbs (about 10) this minimizes the chance of premature injector failure.

As fas as tuning I would recommend research to decide where to go and what to do prior. Like any truck you can get increased performance out of a tune however this can lead to premature catastrophic failures especially with the early 6.0 with the 18mm head bolt. Some of the more agressive tuning I would wait till I have a change to install ARP studs instead of the stock TTY bolts.

Lastly I would recommend a set of guages and maybe a coolant filter to monitor the health of your new baby(maybe toy)...

Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Idahoser
Tuned
yeah. I'm a n00b myself and still learning but here's what I've got so far

DO use synthetic 5w40 oil.
DO use Motorcraft oil, fuel and air filters.
DO make sure your oil filter cap is FORD and not aftermarket.
DO buy filters and cap from dieselfiltersonline.com, get RACOR brand, that's what's in the Motorcraft boxes.
DO buy a monitor that speaks 6.0L such as ScanGauge II or Edge Insight.
DO take a test drive with this gauge installed and check the condition of the oil cooler, FICM, HPOP, and find out if there are codes.
DO get a OASIS report from the dealership.
DO the blue spring upgrade.
DO add a coolant filter.
DO flush and replace the coolant with Cat EC-1 rated ELC.
DO replace the HFCM drain plug with the improved one.
DO change the oil and filter, and drain the HFCM, at 5,000 miles.
DO change the fuel filters at 10,000 miles.
(I'd like to add something here about the trans but I'm still learning about that one)
DO your own maintenance as much as possible, after learning how here.
DO buy parts from Tousley Ford.

DO NOT use tuners from anybody other than SCT.
DO NOT trust any mechanic, EVEN A DEALERSHIP, to know what they're doing on a 6.0L until after you've come here and found out the shop's reputation.
DO NOT run out of fuel.

I might think of some others to add later.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Idahoser

DO buy filters and cap from dieselfiltersonline.com, get RACOR brand, that's what's in the Motorcraft boxes.
DO take a test drive with this gauge installed and check the condition of the oil cooler, FICM, HPOP, and find out if there are codes.
DO add a coolant filter.
(I'd like to add something here about the trans but I'm still learning about that one)
DO NOT trust any mechanic, EVEN A DEALERSHIP, to know what they're doing on a 6.0L until after you've come here and found out the shop's reputation.
DO NOT run out of fuel.

Wish I could comply with that one highlighted, but extended warranty won't allow it.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Wish I could comply with that one highlighted, but extended warranty won't allow it.
Same here. ESP warranty till the end of Jan, 2016. However I'm not fully sold on the Ford Gold being the root of the problem. Too many people using it for well over 100,000 miles with no problems.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Idahoser
Tuned
I don't want to cause trouble, but I do believe the name brands are all 'certified' as compatible or 'meets the standard' or whatever. International built this engine and it's what they use.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM
1badcj8
Mountain Pass
Speaking of warranty or service contracts has anyone here bought one on-line? Is it worth anything? The dealer I'm buying this from says I cant get one but I know that I can. I did have the Oasis pulled and it is all typical stuff with the injectors with half of them (and the #7 twice) have been replaced at the dealership where I'm buying it.

Even with a 2/24 I'd feel a bit more comfortable with knowing I have a little time to learn the truck. Make sense?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
1badcj8
Mountain Pass
Noob or not good stuff, thank you!

Originally Posted by Idahoser

DO add a coolant filter.

DO NOT run out of fuel.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If the warranty isn't a Ford ESP then your wasting your money. The a/m warranties are designed to take your money. Trust me on this one.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by metmop
Ok lets start with the basic. THe blue spring is more a ford recommended update. It raises fuel pressure coming out of the pressure regulator by a few lbs (about 10) this minimizes the chance of premature injector failure.

As fas as tuning I would recommend research to decide where to go and what to do prior. Like any truck you can get increased performance out of a tune however this can lead to premature catastrophic failures especially with the early 6.0 with the 18mm head bolt. Some of the more agressive tuning I would wait till I have a change to install ARP studs instead of the stock TTY bolts.

Lastly I would recommend a set of guages and maybe a coolant filter to monitor the health of your new baby(maybe toy)...

I think you are confusing the head bolt diameter with the size of the dowel in the head.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Extended warranties are a joke. Might as well buy ocean front property in Kansas.

Josh

Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
My ESP plan sure wasn't funny when they replaced both coolers and head gaskets! Well, yeah, it was...... my bank account wasn't any lower after the fact!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
My ESP plan sure wasn't funny when they replaced both coolers and head gaskets! Well, yeah, it was...... my bank account wasn't any lower after the fact!
C9CJ excluded the FORD ESP... but I'm sure you may have known that.

Josh

Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 AM
metmop
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I think you are confusing the head bolt diameter with the size of the dowel in the head.
I probably am. I get a little confused between the make and model years Especially on my year. I know I have a late build. However when I was reading there was mention that early 6.0 engines were a little more susceptiple to failure cause of 18mm verse 20mm head dowel/bolt (please enlighten me) I thought it was the size of the head bolt that changed from 04 to 05 but I could be wrong. Also is it only early model 04 or is it the entire year. I have yet to take my engine down to the head. To be honest I hope never to have to

Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 AM
501bbf
New User
03' 6.0L swap for 07'

Is it possible to swap out my 03' 6.0 diesel for a 07' 6.0? Wires, hoses... Are the mounts the same, bell housing bolts??

Quick Reply: 6.0 Do's and Do Not's