1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Alternators from the "Zone"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Angry Alternators from the "Zone"

Last year while on vacation in Ennis TX the alternator went out on my truck. Well, the only place in town that could get one quickly was A-Zone Replaced it in the parking lot and was on my way to Galveston, that one didn't make it to Houston before it quit charging. Replaced again in Galveston the next day. That one ran until I got to Vancouver WA and discovered the rear bearing out while Dano78 and I were working on my transmission leak. Well.... launched my boat yesterday and the truck wouldn't start again, had to pull the battery out of the boat to start it These are 55A Bosch alternators and I know that my truck doesn't overload them
I am off to get another one today, and you can bet your sweet *** it will not come from the Zone. Wonder if they'll give me my money back on this POS

Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Yeah, they'll refund the money (usually). Are these the 1-yr warranteed or the lifetime? About all they do to the 1-yr ones is clean, test, and paint them, maybe new brushes. The lifetime models get new bearings and some other parts. But it seems like cheap chinese bearings are used in all of them any more.

I've never understood Bosch, how does it take up to 7 wires for their alternators? And why does a rebuilt 50-amp Bosch alternator cost 4X or 5X what a 100-amp Delco or Autolite costs??

Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
My son went through three or four such alternators several years back. When the last one left him stranded in "left overshoe, ga" about midnight he decided those lifetime guarantee alternators were not worth the hassle and bought a new one......No more alternator problems.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can sympathize with you. I once replaced the alternator on my wife's car with a warrantied one from a local chain store. The next day she was running errands on her lunch when the car died and started making noises. I had to take my lunch time to meet her where the car died. I found that the pulley nut had come off and was nowhere to be found. So we both had to miss time at work so I could go get a replacement (with a tight nut) and replace the "new" alternator.

After that whenever I needed a starter or alternator rebuilt I just went to the local rebuilder and handed them mine. 20 minutes later they handed it back with new bearings, brushes, etc. and I was on my way since I could paint it myself.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Been considering dropping one of my cores off at the local rebuilder, I know it would have to be better than the lifetime unit from the Zone

Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Been considering dropping one of my cores off at the local rebuilder, I know it would have to be better than the lifetime unit from the Zone
Plus the local guy gets the money. Although you are taking work away from the 12 year old Chinese girl making the inferior bearings and brushes; and the illegal immigrant working at the Autozone rebuilder shop installing those inferior parts.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A friend of mine with a 79 f100 had a pretty bad experience with alternators from the zone. At the zone he'd buy it, pull it out of the box and have them test it. He went through 6 or 7 that way before he gave up and drove to napa!

Any work I need get's done by a local shop, they specialize in radiators starters and alternators. They've got great parts, great prices and great turnaround times. Can't beat that!

Sam

Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 AM
james G. phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The general consensus from those in the know is never buy anything electrical from the chain stores for any vehicle you are going to keep awhile except NAPA. NAPA's electrical parts are still made in the US and are quality. You pay more but you get what you pay for.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by james G. phillips
You pay more but you get what you pay for.
Too bad it takes most of us 20 years (and lots of frustration) to figure that out.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've worked aftermarket style parts stores for nearly 10 years. Most of the time, an aftermarket or rebuilt unit works fine. On newer cars I seldom see one walk back in. I often pull from the shelf and bench test prior to the sale though, and I have pulled a few off the shelf that were bad. It happens, I don't care if it is a skilled craftsman or a 12yr old in a sweat shop...mistakes are made.

Anything vintage, order only, or difficult to find I refer to the local alternator rebuild shop that has been around longer than I have 100% of the time. Even with new units, 80% of the problem lies in the regulator...but most of them quit supplying just the regulator to us which basically forces a consumer to buy the whole enchalada or have it rebuilt. Honestly 90% of my customers wouldn't or don't take their OE parts to be rebuilt even after I inform them about their options. They would rather order it.

I do the same for starters, radiators, generators, alternators, power steering pressure hose, brake hose, hydraulic pressure hose, electric pumps, winches, AC condensors, AC compressors...there is a huge list of parts that can be rebuilt locally that many take advantage of and I advertise often. Tough Guy, Heatex, Elkhart Starter, Action Machine, Kaley's...I love telling people about them because they do great work. I also try to sell rebuild kits for wheel cylinders and master cylinders more often than not.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
I recently had similar experiences with electrical parts from the Zone. My son and I installed 3 electric fuel pumps in his Ranger. The longest one lasted 3 weeks. I ended up getting my money back from the Zone and went over to NAPA. Its been running fine ever since.

Lifetime warranty sounds good, but it sure doesn't cover my hours and frustration to keep replacing the part in question.

Good luck with it
Bobby

Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I recently had similar experiences with electrical parts from the Zone. My son and I installed 3 electric fuel pumps in his Ranger. The longest one lasted 3 weeks. I ended up getting my money back from the Zone and went over to NAPA. Its been running fine ever since.

Lifetime warranty sounds good, but it sure doesn't cover my hours and frustration to keep replacing the part in question.Good luck with it
Bobby
That is my point to Bobby. I replaced an Autozone lifetime alternator 3 times in 3 years on a daily driver. Boy 3rd time installing it the ole "lifetime" warranty lost a little of its zip. Now it is motor oil, filters, bulbs, and car washing supplies that I purchase from ole Autozone. For serious drive components starters, alternators, and such I head to local parts house that still has books and lets you use them. Not knocking the chain places but I dont mind me being stranded. The wife has a tendency to get a little perturbed sitting on the side of the road

Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought mine on-line, I found a place that sold chrome ones and it was cheaper than the parts house. Haven't had any problems so far, hope I didn't just jinx myself. L8R ZFLASH

Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Well, took one of my cores in and had it rebuilt, now if the rain will stop so that I can put it on. I'll try to get a refund from the zone, but I won't hold my breath.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I learnd 40 years ago not to buy rebuilt items from any of the "lowest price" type of chain stores, the name of the stores have come and gone over the years but IMPO its still the same. I got tired of going thru three starters b4 i got a good one. Personaly id rather get a new part and know its as good as new, specialey when its going in my truck. Jeff, sorry to here you got stuck on the road and put in that position, thats a drag

Quick Reply: Alternators from the "Zone"