Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Vibration problem found Need input

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM
ronjon95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration problem found Need input

Ok I think I have found my issue after 1 year! The drive shaft has all new U-joints and greased the slip point new carrier bearing. I have read where some one mentioned to shim your carrier bearing down for les of a angle. Today I decieded to do this. Which consisted of 2 washers thick across. As you can see from the Pic. What I experianced from removing the mounting bolts that hold the actual bracket that spaces the carrier bearing down moved. Which i see that the spaceing bracket is held to the frame is attached by Rivets. With This movement that I saw it explains my periadict vibration. Has anyone found this before? I figure i would grind down and drill the rivets out and remount the spaceing bracket with High grade one size larger nuts and bolts. As I asked before has anyone else found this before? If so what was your repair?
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND><TABLE id=ncode_imageresizer_warning_1 class=ncode_imageresizer_warning width=400><TBODY><TR><TD class=td1 width=20></TD><TD class=td2 unselectable="on">Click this bar to view the full image.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</FIELDSET>

Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
i dont think you need to drill out the rivets. just take the bearing out and use it to make a template and make a shim plate instead of the washers.

is your truck lifted? i can see you having to shim the bearing if the truck is lifted. the shim changes the pinion angle and makes less bind on the u-joints

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
ronjon95
Senior User
No the truck is not lifted. It does have the front leveling kit though. If you read what I wrote when I used the impacted to revove the bolts I noticed the the Braket that spaces the bearing down from the fram moved or twisted slightly. Thats why I feel that these holes with the rivets have gotton wallered out.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
i guess its possible. does the drive shaft look like its stright? or does it have a dog leg in the center by the bearing?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 AM
ronjon95
Senior User
Staraight as much as I can tell. The shaft coming from the T box is straight with the carrier bearing.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
rad1026
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to look at my truck when I get home now. That bracket sure looks strange to me, like its not stock. I don't know I just can't picture it on my truck. I have to look. But yeah, that bracket needs to be solid. If its moving around you are going to feel a vibration.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:32 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rad1026
I have to look at my truck when I get home now. That bracket sure looks strange to me, like its not stock. I don't know I just can't picture it on my truck. I have to look. But yeah, that bracket needs to be solid. If its moving around you are going to feel a vibration.
I was thinking the same thing. I just pulled my driveshaft yesterday to have it balanced and I don't think that is what my bracket looks like. I'll take a pic of mine tonight.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Calli
Senior User

Bracket is identical to mine on my e99, except no wiggle!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
ronjon95
Senior User
Ok so on my way home from work today and the vibration came back! So I went under the truck with a hammer and was able to drive the braket forward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch on the right side. Getting ready to go for a test drive to see if this solves it also going to remove the washers I installed.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do not shim that unless you are lifted. You do not need to shim unless you are lifted more then 4" and then it is 1/4" for every inch of lift.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
ronjon95
Senior User
Exclamation

Ok back with results. Took the washers out. Remounted carrier bearing. Spaced the carrier beraring shoe all the way to the rear evenly. No change. Spaced it forward just a hair no change. Spaced it further forward no change. As i was under ther i did notice that there is play between the slip yoke when turning each one in different directions. i have removed the drive shaft and cleaned greased and greased this. Could the BLUE STUFF that is on the splines be worn? alowing this movement and vibration. Was the washers copinsating for this? Need a driveline expert!!!

This vibration is driving me NUTS!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Are your drive-shafts in phase?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:35 PM
ronjon95
Senior User
No I'm not sure it is in Phase. Tried researching but couldnt find any thing. You got any info on this? I have replaced all u-joints with Moog Brand and New Carrier about a year ago. Nothing has helped also new set of tires about 3 months ago alignment and all. It seems to be coming fron the center of the truck but yet the whole Truck. A miss in the motor wouldnt cause this would it?

Thanks guys for the help and concern. I have a road trip with the GF this weekend and was hoping to have it fixed! Its her B-day

Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM
ronjon95
Senior User
Yep I understand the Shiming part. Thanks will keep that info for futer referance.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Originally Posted by ronjon95
No I'm not sure it is in Phase. Tried researching but couldnt find any thing. You got any info on this? I have replaced all u-joints with Moog Brand and New Carrier about a year ago. Nothing has helped also new set of tires about 3 months ago alignment and all. It seems to be coming fron the center of the truck but yet the whole Truck. A miss in the motor wouldnt cause this would it?

Thanks guys for the help and concern. I have a road trip with the GF this weekend and was hoping to have it fixed! Its her B-day
Phasing means simply this, the yokes should be pointed in the same direction. The rear is welded correctly, the front is where the slip joint goes in and can cause vibration if it's not in line with the front yoke that goes into the t/case.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem found Need input