Sponsored by:

Burnt dome light fix/conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Sian_Sam
New User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Burnt dome light fix/conversion

I bought my excursion back in Feb and since I have used this forum extensively for tips, tricks and advice. For my first post I decided to give back to the community and do a dome light conversion write up.

About two months after buying my Excursion I started having issues with the dome lights. I had one that would go out intermittently, I would bang on the overhead console and the light would come back on for a while than go out again. Eventually the lights burnt out, literally, the console started smoking. I took it apart and found that the bulb holders/reflectors and the connection foil were melted.

I went to the local ford dealer and was told (like many others with this issue) that they do not have replacement bulb holders/reflectors or the connection foil. You have to have the entire overhead console replaced to the tune of $360 (for parts, I have no idea how much they would have charged for labor). I said screw that and came up with my own solution for $13.

I have searched around the site and have seen many posts about people having similar issues but no solutions. If this topic has already been covered please forgive me.

Parts Needed:

2x GM/Ford License Side marker Socket $3.99 @ Auto Zone
1x 194LL light bulbs (2 in a pack) $4.99 @ Auto Zone
4 sets spade connectors (optional)

Start by removing the overhead console. The console only has one screw, a #2 philips under the sunglasses holder. Once that screw is out gently and firmly pull down on the rear of the console. The rear will drop about an inch and hang on a hook. Then pull down on the front and it will release from the ceiling. Disconnect all the connections then slide the console forward to remove it from the rear hook.

Here is the universal bulb holders that I purchased from auto zone

Here are the light bulbs.

Disassembly of the overhead console is pretty straight forward, just a bunch of torx screws. Once the console is disassembled gently remove the bulb reflectors/holders by squeezing the tabs in between the bulb holders on the backside of the console.

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend the triangular tabs on the back of the reflector up.

Press the triangular tabs against the back of the reflector so you are left with a 3/4" roundish hole.

Press the bulb holders into the newly formed hole in the back of the reflector. The bulb holders have little plastic retaining tabs on them, use a screwdriver to press these past the edge of the reflector till the holder sits flush against the reflector.

Now put the reflectors back in the overhead console and wire them up. Cut out the factory "foil" assembly then connect the brown wire on the bulb holders to the wire coming from the respective dome light switch. Remember that the opposite switch goes to the opposite bulb; drivers side bulb goes to the passenger side switch and vice versa. Connect the black wires from the bulb holders together with the black wire coming from the dome light connector on the back of the console. I chose to use covered spade connections so I could take it apart later if need be but you could hard wire the connections and be just fine.

This shows the new assembly installed in the console.

Here is the assembly installed in the truck. Notice that I cut out the inner ring of the reflector plastic (the part that used to hold the factory bulb). This makes it easier to install and remove the new bulbs which just push in. The inner ring of plastic can be removed with a pair of wire cutters and needle nose pliers. Just snip the plastic with the cutters and use the pliers to carefully snap it off until you are left with an open circle.

Here is the finished product.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sian_Sam:
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
got any pics?

Welcome to FTE!

Old 08-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Sian_Sam
New User
pics of what? Are the pics in the post not showing?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Sorry, no pics showing up

Try hosting them on Photobucket. Much easier to use than the FTE version

Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Sian_Sam
New User
this might help, had the album set to private

Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Much better. Awesome mod. That's worthy of throwing in the sticky section.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Cbale
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and nice write up. I can see the pics here...

Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 AM
samw57
Cross-Country
Great thanks!!! How long did this take you?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Sian_Sam
New User
Around 20 minutes.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As you can see in another post... this picture, shows how "normally" a bulb is in backwards. Or, to reflect it's light off the reflector and create a "pencil beam" effect into the driver or passenger area.

Here's the picture link I speak of;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...5&d=1361072131

Your solution (which is awesome btw )... does it too, create a good pencil beam effect into the area? Or is it, just like turning on an overhead dome light and you get light... everywhere, rather then focused into one spot? Also, how would you compare your fix's output to the stock map light output? Less light, same, more light? Focused, unfocused? ... you get the idea.

Output to me, is very important. So knowing how it performs will be beneficial. As well, I know that adding an LED wedge bulb to the 'stock' assembly doesn't do very well being it's not using the reflector like a stock wedge bulb. I tried it, and wasn't too please with it's output. In fact, it might have been the LED I used, but it was dimmer then the stock bulb (even though whiter in color).

Let me know... I've got to repair mine as well!! GREAT WORK!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
ycis
Senior User
if I ever get around to fixing my ohc computer, i plan on wiring in some of those small pencil LED lights someone suggested towards the front of the console to make it brighter in the front cab for sure.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM
BEARDOWN
Senior User
Missed this the first time around. Reps for Sam

Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Sian_Sam
New User
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
As you can see in another post... this picture, shows how "normally" a bulb is in backwards. Or, to reflect it's light off the reflector and create a "pencil beam" effect into the driver or passenger area.

Here's the picture link I speak of;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...5&d=1361072131

Your solution (which is awesome btw )... does it too, create a good pencil beam effect into the area? Or is it, just like turning on an overhead dome light and you get light... everywhere, rather then focused into one spot? Also, how would you compare your fix's output to the stock map light output? Less light, same, more light? Focused, unfocused? ... you get the idea.

Output to me, is very important. So knowing how it performs will be beneficial. As well, I know that adding an LED wedge bulb to the 'stock' assembly doesn't do very well being it's not using the reflector like a stock wedge bulb. I tried it, and wasn't too please with it's output. In fact, it might have been the LED I used, but it was dimmer then the stock bulb (even though whiter in color).

Let me know... I've got to repair mine as well!! GREAT WORK!!!
Sorry it took me a minute to get back to you. I have been buried in work, school, and a turbo rebuild.

It does produce a focused beam though not as narrow as the stock lights which I equate to air plane reading lights. When the light is turned on it is narrow enough to illuminate just the seat it is pointed at but it does illuminate the whole seat.

The base and bulbs used in this mod do utilize the stock reflector, the bulbs are just face out instead of face in like the stock setup which causes them to have a beam that is still focused yet not as focused as stock.

The light output seems to be the same as the rest of the dome lights in the truck though they are a little lower on the kelvin scale. This could be fixed by picking up a whiter bulb or output increased by picking up a bulb with a higher wattage. When I did the mod I just grabbed what they had on the shelf at the auto parts store and I have been satisfied with it.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sian_Sam
Sorry it took me a minute to get back to you. I have been buried in work, school, and a turbo rebuild.

It does produce a focused beam though not as narrow as the stock lights which I equate to air plane reading lights. When the light is turned on it is narrow enough to illuminate just the seat it is pointed at but it does illuminate the whole seat.

The base and bulbs used in this mod do utilize the stock reflector, the bulbs are just face out instead of face in like the stock setup which causes them to have a beam that is still focused yet not as focused as stock.

The light output seems to be the same as the rest of the dome lights in the truck though they are a little lower on the kelvin scale. This could be fixed by picking up a whiter bulb or output increased by picking up a bulb with a higher wattage. When I did the mod I just grabbed what they had on the shelf at the auto parts store and I have been satisfied with it.
Thanks for the follow up... I didn't realize this was a pretty old thread when I posted.

(And today)... I was excited after reading your thread yesterday, had me thinking! .... and since I'm impatient... I went ahead and completed my MOD.

Check it here;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13524914

Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Dre Sr.
New User
Dome light conversion

Thank you for your help! Just converted mine. Great tutorial!

Quick Reply: Burnt dome light fix/conversion